1.    #1  
    Well...I've done it. I pulled the trigger on a new HTC XV6800 last night. It should be here shortly. It was a very difficult decision. One I was hoping to postpone until later this year. However, the failure of my 650 to reliably deliver consistent reception has forced my hand. I've been a Palm user and fan for many years. My wife uses a TX. I come from a Clie TH55->Tungsten T3->Treo 650 background. So I've loved many a Palm device. None as much as this 650. But I want higher technology and Palm isn't providing it. For the same price as the 755p, I get WiFi, Bluetooth A2DP and a 2.0 MP camera. Plus there are a wealth of hacks, tweaks and skins for Windows Mobile. I'm anxious to try them all out. I do have some trepidation about having to use the slide out keyboard as opposed to the exposed one, but there are tweaks I have seen that could make the front touch screen as usable as the iphone's. So maybe I won't need to slide it out that much. I only wish the screen was a higher resolution. I'll be taking a step backward going to 320 x 240. I guess if all fails and I absolutely hate the phone, I can still trade it for a 755p for 30 days.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Hey SG,

I think you are going to enjoy it. I made the Treo680 to Tilt jump 6 weeks ago. Starting as a complete newb with the really lame Tilt ROM, I and have already hit a level of tweeking I'm happy with.

I am very much enjoying the additional power of WM6. I find the slightly more complex UI well worth the extra capability.

I just bought my wife a new GSM Centro yesterday (you wouldn't like the Kryptonite green buttons.) I was struck by the plainness of the Palm UI after using WM6.

Enjoy and Welcome!!!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the kind welcome McTreo. I had a little bit of buyer's remorse yesterday before I hit the web and found out about xda developers. There is so much out there to tweak on this phone!!! Man, I can't wait. FedEx said it should be there today when I get home. BTW, I just found out some guys unlocked the EVDO Rev. A capabilities as well as the GPS in the chipset. This is awesome.
  4.    #4  
    Just a follow up. I received the XV on Friday and Ive been playing with it all weekend. Here are my first impressions.

The XV feels flimsy when you handle it. Its much lighter and more plasticky than my Treo. The sliding keyboard feels like it might crap out one day and not stay in place like my T3 when I had to buy more screws.

The presentation beats the hell out of PalmOS. Its stylish and customizable and eye pleasing. Now if only the functionality were equal.

Let me just say that I always thought that whole Zen of Palm was a bunch of marketing BS. But there's something to it. PalmOS Treos just work. You get what you want done with minimal fuss and effort. Windows Mobile however takes much more digging through non-intuitive menus to get what you want.
    For instance, I feel like all the options for phone application settings should be available in that app. You should have to go through Start->Settings->Phone. I know I've got a lot to get used to with this OS and I look forward to it.

The great thing about Windows Mobile is that you can change your whole GUI experience by loading a wealth of different ROMs and plugins. So here's the top 5 reasons I'll be keeping this phone.

5. WiFi is great
    4. Home cooking my own ROMs
    3. Windows Mobile is more fun to play with than PalmOS
    2. I think PalmOS II will be worth the wait but I need a fix in the mean time
    1. WinMo is very powerful and I look forward to putting that to use
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyGreen View Post
    Just a follow up. I received the XV on Friday and Ive been playing with it all weekend. Here are my first impressions.

The XV feels flimsy when you handle it. Its much lighter and more plasticky than my Treo. The sliding keyboard feels like it might crap out one day and not stay in place like my T3 when I had to buy more screws.

The presentation beats the hell out of PalmOS. Its stylish and customizable and eye pleasing. Now if only the functionality were equal.

Let me just say that I always thought that whole Zen of Palm was a bunch of marketing BS. But there's something to it. PalmOS Treos just work. You get what you want done with minimal fuss and effort. Windows Mobile however takes much more digging through non-intuitive menus to get what you want.
    For instance, I feel like all the options for phone application settings should be available in that app. You should have to go through Start->Settings->Phone. I know I've got a lot to get used to with this OS and I look forward to it.

The great thing about Windows Mobile is that you can change your whole GUI experience by loading a wealth of different ROMs and plugins. So here's the top 5 reasons I'll be keeping this phone.

5. WiFi is great
    4. Home cooking my own ROMs
    3. Windows Mobile is more fun to play with than PalmOS
    2. I think PalmOS II will be worth the wait but I need a fix in the mean time
    1. WinMo is very powerful and I look forward to putting that to use
    And dont forget the HW advances over Palm (at least with HTC GSM unit)

• Processor: Qualcomm MSM7200, 400MHz Samsung
    • Memory:
    - ROM: 256MB (for programs and users’ storage)
    - RAM: 128MB SDRAM
    • Main LCD Module:
    - 2.8" transflective TFT-LCD with backlight LEDs, touch-sensitive screen
    - 240 x 320 QVGA resolution with 64K Colours
    • Communications:
    - Dual-mode, HSDPA- 3.6 mbps
    - UMTS (tri-band, 850/1900/2100 MHz)
    - GSM/GPRS/EDGE quad band (850/900/1800/1900)
    • Camera:
    - 3 megapixel colour
    - Video Conference Camera
    • Audio:
    - Built-in Microphone / Receiver
    - Loud Speaker for Hands-Free Support
    • Connectivity + Interface:
    - Bluetooth® - 2.0
    - Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
    - 3V USIM/SIM card Slot
    - HTC ExtUSB
    - MicrosSD card Slot
    - External Antenna connector
    • GPS
    - Internal GPS antenna
    - Standalone GPS abd A-GPS mode
    - TomTom Navigator 6 Edition (TomTom 6 Taster Edition)
    • Power + Battery:
    - Removable and rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer
    - Typical capacity: 1350 mAh
    - Standby time: Up to 200 hours for GSM; 180 ~ 250 hours for UMTS
    - Talk time (Screen off): 4 ~ 5 hours for GSM; 2 ~ 4 hours for UMTS
    - Media playback: 8 hours (WMV); 12 hours (WMA)
    - AC Adapter
    - AC input: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
    - DC output: 5V and 1A
    • Value Added Applications:
    - 3G-324MVideo Telephony
    - Picture Enhamcement for Pictures and Videos
    - MMS and Java applications
    - Smart Dialing and Voice Speed Dial
    - Comm Manager
    - Backup Tool
    - HTC Home menu Screen
    - Business card scanner

I hope Palm can catch up one day with support the latest HW. I could come back.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
  6.    #6  
    Well...I'm back. After almost a month of playing with the XV6800 I decided its not the device for me. I reactivated my Treo 650 and returned the XV. It feels somehow bittersweet. Its great to be back to the reliability of the PalmOS. So what made me change my mind on the XV6800. I'm glad you asked. Basically its the phone. I think Windows Mobile has the PalmOS beat flat out functionality wise. Its powerful enough to be productive and ultimately tweakable for the UI. I think going forward, people will want as much customization as possible for their personal devices. So while I am completely sold on MinMo. The XV6800 is underpowered for the version of WM6.0 that's running on it. It needs to have at least 128MB of RAM but you only get half that for everything. After the OS boots up, you only have about 30MB left for running applications. And since apps don't close in WinMo, they just get minimized, by the time you have Messaging, PocketIE and GoogleMaps running, the machine starts to hobble. I downloaded Oxios Memory which does a great job freeing things up but I shouldn't have to do that. The last straw came when I was at the Pac 10 tourney and I was trying to text my friends and my wife and take pictures and video to send. Doing these activities all at once was too much for the XV. It froze up and I had to reboot it. Battery life was also terrible and the screen while beautiful indoors was not transreflective, so it was almost unusable in direct sunlight. Anyway, I did love Windows Live Search which is like Google Maps + a host of other location based services wrapped in a convenient package with a great interface and even speech recognition and GPS support. I also enjoyed Windows Live email which showed pushed all of my Hotmail messages to me in full HTML glory with pictures and all. So I've decided to wait for the Treo 800w which my friend at VZW tells me won't be until 4th Qtr at the earliest.
    I have to say that this is a fairly common situation from what I've seen in many cases.

People get lured away to some new platform by what seems to be cool stuff, only to find that the grass isn't <always> greener on the other side. Of course there are many who don't come back to whatever it was before, but I've seen many times that people regret their decision.

I moved to WinMo from many many years of Palm OS - but unlike StickyGreen, I went to the Palm-ized version of WinMo, the 700wx. I found that was a perfect compromise between the one-handedness I'd come to expect after many years of using Palm OS converged devices (starting with a Kyocera 6035 in early 2000, then a Treo 300, then a 600, then a 650 - I mean I was wedded to Palm OS!). I looked at other WM devices, then and now, and find just about all of them lacking for what I wanted - a perfect balance of phone function and organizer/PDA function. Most other WM devices were PDA first and phone as an afterthought. I too await the 800w with much anticipation.