1.    #1  
    Just out of curiosity, what features do people find as being absolute on their mobile device (smart phone, dumb phone, etc)?

I realize that this list would be rather organic in nature as technology grows. I'm just curious what others find as an absolute necessity (and maybe even why).
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Make phone calls?

This is obviously more about personal needs, but if it had to be my primary device it needs 3G, a keyboard and 3rd party apps, and the ability to tether.

Surur
    Multi tasking 755p w/ GPS.
  4.    #4  
    Guess it would be courteous to answer my own question ehh?

I definitely have to say 3rd party apps (one of the reasons I love my phone so much, I keep coming across new apps even today for my 650 to benefit me greatly), Blue Tooth & SD card support (which keeps me from needing an mp3 player) and probably the full keyboard.
    No problem should ever be solved twice.

Verizon Treo650 W/Custom ROM
    Absolute....

Reliable, quality phone reception.
    Ability to sync with Outlook for Contacts, Calendar, tasks, etc.
    Full keyboard
    Email
    Comfortable, thin form factor

Things that I have grown accustom to that would be nice but not absolute...

Internet Access
    GPS (really neat feature of the BJII)

Things I could live without and actually would like to see go away to cut costs of phone....

camera
    Besides the phone working, second would be ability to get email for all my accounts. Next would be internet with 3rd party aps next.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I'm with perry. multitasking treo 755p with some form of gps
    I'm assuming you mean smartphone devices. So here's my list:
    Rock-solid calling
    Threaded SMS
    MMS
    Dedicated keyboard
    Voice commanded dialing
    Playback of all media
    A2DP
    Usable, real web browser

Those are the core features. Everything else is gravy.
    There are two main things I look for that weigh the most when buying a phone, hardware features and carrier plan / coverage / pricing.

Must Have Hardware Features:
    • Hardwarew QWERTY keyboard
    • Reliable calls (no drops)
    • RAM Memory (I do a lot of multi-tasking)
    • WiFi (I do not use it all the time, but sometimes need it in remote areas)
    • Reliable BT headset quality
    • EVDO Rev A

Highly preferred Hardware Features:
    • Internal GPS (but BT is an easy backup
    • Larger the screen the better, to a point, because I read spreadsheets / PDFs / use GPS / remote control my work computer.

Carrier:
    Since I travel a lot to very rural areas in OR / WA / ID / WY for work I have to look at carrier coverage and pricing for roaming. In my neck of the woods this has meant Sprint since 1998. I check to see if there is a better deal every time my contract comes up, but (not due to any loyality whatsoever) I keep on signing another contract with Sprint.