1.    #1  
    This is a bummer! The Samsung i780 is going back today!

I have had it for a few days now and the most important feature for me,
    > GPS < is not working with TomTom! In addition, after I made the first call
    in my car via Bluetooth, it is impossible to turn the screen off again even if
    the device is NOT connected to the power outlet.

The reason for the GPS problem seems to be the implementation and
    Chip used in the device. I found this here:

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/rev...780-2-en.shtml

The communicator makes use of the gpsOne chip, bundled in the Qualcomm MSM 6260 platform, supporting A-GPS technology (tracks your location through the carrier’s network). However, this chip doesn’t get along with third-party applications, as all GPS-enabled solutions, including the Samsung i780 are bound to deal with only one application – Navigon, also dubbed as Mobile Navigator in the Windows Mobile environment. While you can actually install some extra navigation software, rest assured, it won’t be able to employ the built-in chip, and thus, won’t track your location on the map.
    This is, unfortunately, quite common like the BlackJack II--where it is 'locked down'--in other words, there is no reason in principle why it can't work with other GPS apps.

The solution may be similar to the fix for the BJII and once your phone becomes more popular, the hacker/dev community will probably get around to unlocking the aGPS.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ... the hacker/dev community will probably get around to unlocking the aGPS.
    YES, you are sooo right! It has already happened but needs no hacker!

Apparently, the GPS device works fine with Garmin XT software. For
    TomTom, you need to use GpsGate for creating a virtual COM port and then
    it works without a problem!

I have not had a chance to test it because I already sent back my device.
    Now I am back-paddling trying to get it back...

Thanks to the community! What would I do without you!
    There is a hack for something like this via MoDaCo; I remember hearing something like this being the issue with the BJ2 that was "patched." Take a look at www.modaco.com and see if you can find something on that, because that might solve that issue for you.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    There is a hack for something like this via MoDaCo; I remember hearing something like this being the issue with the BJ2 that was "patched." Take a look at www.modaco.com and see if you can find something on that, because that might solve that issue for you.
    Thanks for pointing me to this forum but this "patch" does not work with the i780. However, I found on the forum that you can use the free program GPSTest to "initialize" the GPS Radio and then TomTom works like a charm. As earlier discussed, GPSGate seems to work, too, but it currently messes up the phone application or phone radio...

So, got the GPS and TomTom working and I am a very happy camper with this new jewel. I am used to these and other software bugs in such devices since I had lots of practice with software problems and other issues on my (multiple) Treo 270s, 600s, and 650s

Curly
    How's the optical d-pad/mouse? And how is battery life?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    How's the optical d-pad/mouse? And how is battery life?
    I actually really like the optical mouse pad. It easy enough to use and great with one thumb. I use it for quick clicks only, though. Since the phone also has a touch screen, I find myself using my fingers (well, they are quite big... or the Stylus a lot when I do a lot of "typing" or application configuring. The only thing I think its missing is an up/down button or wheel. There are two up/down buttons on the side but they are programmed to be volume up/down only. I guess I just need to hack the registry or something to get these buttons to work the way I want! You cannot configure them with the button software.

Battery is not too bad actually but if you use Bluetooth, GPS, and WiFi all the time, you'd better be around a power source or have the spare battery (yes, it comes with two) around. But with "normal use, I easily get over the day. A bug in the software leaves the screen on when I am connected in my car with bluetooth and another bug does not display the battery charge properly. Since I run TomTom, GPS, and Bluetooth when I am in the car, I have the phone connected to the power outlet anyway. These are not critical problems for me. When I am in the office, I usually switch off GPS and Bluetooth and switch on WiFi. Works great.

I am very happy with the phone and waiting for an update to address some bugs and GPS problem (still not working as I would like it to). It's much more stable than my Treo 650 and the Antenna Signal is also MUCH better. If I could now get Datebk6 working on Windows Mobile, I would be all set!

Hope this helps.
    Curly
    Thanks for the answer. Do you have to explicitly switch GPS on or off, or is is activated automatically when you use GPS software, like is common with HTC's devices?

Surur
  9.    #9  
    that is the problem. the GPS part is not working properly right now. GPSgate from Franson makes it work nicely but it messes up the phone app. Franson is on it to fix it. once Franson has a fix, you should be able to start GPSgate and then Tomtom. of course, it would really be great if Samsung would fix it to switch on or off the GPS radio based on usage.