1.    #1  

You may have heard that there was a serious BlackBerry outage this week, millions of people were unable to get email or browse the web on their CrackBerries for several hours, causing some consternation amongst the addicts:

> *For Blackberry users, Monday left us feeling like a toddler with no Spongebob. Thought of “Why! Why?” and “What in the world is going on!” flowed through our heads. We cried to each other, and to those who could have cared less, and waited it out (as we had no other choice) and hoped for the best.*

The worst part was twofold - as the above article claims, RIM wasn't immediately forthcoming about the problem. When they did let us in on what happened, it was the same thing that happened last April, a software upgrade gone wrong, a problem they promise would never happen again.

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ed...er_back_w.html
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    You'll be standing on the corner with a WinMo device in your pocket -- and it will have somehow taken itself out of standby for no reason, the battery will be dead, there will be a spinning hourglass on the screen and your email will be 15 minutes behind.

This "outage" didn't affect web access, it only mattered to specific BlackBerry services. I could still access all of my email accounts using other methods including the Gmail application, web mail, OWA, etc.

In fact it's amazing how many people I know with BlackBerrys didn't even notice the outage. Maybe BlackBerry users don't spend so much time trying to figure out if their device is working properly or not because it always just works - 3 hours downtime per year is barely noticeable when your device is so reliable.
    Regarding

You're not on Microsoft tech for your server and email solutions.
    We use Kerio Mail Server which syncs properly with all Windows Mobile phones (including push mail, calendar, contacts, free/busy etc.)

It actually is very very good and with the addition of Seven, all email gets pushed to the phone as fast as the Blackberry's
    Hey andy -

I thought web access was also through the BIS/BES? Or is it just that the BB can fall back to standard access if the NOC fails? In any case, I struck that line in the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by andy3000 View Post
    You'll be standing on the corner with a WinMo device in your pocket -- and it will have somehow taken itself out of standby for no reason, the battery will be dead, there will be a spinning hourglass on the screen and your email will be 15 minutes behind.
    lol, ouch someone doesn't like WM.

Actually, WM6 and WM6.1 have come a long way in stability so these sort of situations are quite rare (I've never have it happened even on my numerous WM5 devices)--of course anything can happen, so I'm sure there are isolated stories. But at least 1 device crash is 1 device crash and not your entire fleet

I think the point still stands: having a centralized distribution for BB email that is out of the hands of your IT department puts a lot of faith on RIM's ability to maintain stability as they update, add new features and grow in size. MSCMDM 2008 is going to go a long way into cutting into RIM's territory and really offers a nice alternative.

And dieter...neat article--fun and informative

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Palm attacking Blackberry! Blackberry attacking Palm! Worlds are colliding!!! Sounds like tryouts for the JV cheerleading squad or something.

Gosh, I can feel the tension in the air......

Too much fighting just to see who's coming in 2nd to WinMo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryhead25 View Post
    Palm attacking Blackberry! Blackberry attacking Palm! Worlds are colliding!!! Sounds like tryouts for the JV cheerleading squad or something.

Gosh, I can feel the tension in the air......

Too much fighting just to see who's coming in 2nd to WinMo.
    Umm, Yeah... The Palm Ad and the website piece was a 750, using WinMo... Not POS.

Anyway, to answer the "Crackberry is so stable, look at your messed up Treo, ha ha! I didn't even notice the outage!" argument. I've owned a Treo 750 for right about a month now. Here's what I've noticed.

Push email set up - piece of cake, no need for BIS/BES because my company uses the latest/greatest Exchange server. I receive my email on my Treo BEFORE I get it in my inbox at work. I guess that must be the "15 minutes behind" you talk about.

I've never had to reset my phone. Never. With the exception of when I run my backup program (it resets the phone before starting the backup).

I'd also like to point out that if the WinMo phone that you decided to crow about miraculously woke itself up and the "battery is dead" as you claim, how can you then argue that there is a pinwheel? Seems to me that he screen would be off...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix