1.    #1  
    It's the first update for the 710.

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...10C/index.html

It's is only for the 710c. I'll bet the 610 and 320 will already have this patch on em.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/15/2001 at 12:41 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    So much for the idea that maybe Sony will lose the mkt. to those who can get more support up for their products, eh?...
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    I just applied the N710c update, which was a very simple process. After the restart, I immediatly noticed an two additional option on the "App" tab.

Normally you would have:

Delete...
    Beam...
    Catagory...
    Info...

After the patch was applied I now have:

Delete...
    Beam...
    Catagory...
    Info...
    _________

Power Off
    Find

Interesting. I wonder what else they've added. I did read that the improved the MP3 player and Jog wheel support. Oh well. I'll have to play around with it a bit more.
    -Mikedemo
    Mikedemo -
    I don't have a Clie yet but I played around with one at BestBuy last weekend. I seem to remember that in the jogdial preferences there was an option to add menu items like power off and find to the applications menu. I guess I'm wondering how/if the patch changed this. Do you still have this option?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Jupe
    Mikedemo -
    I don't have a Clie yet but I played around with one at BestBuy last weekend. I seem to remember that in the jogdial preferences there was an option to add menu items like power off and find to the applications menu. I guess I'm wondering how/if the patch changed this. Do you still have this option?

I'm not sure. I must have had mine off. But they are added on now. I must have reset it to default. But I did read the update and for sure I know they've improved on the support for the jog and addressed some issues with the mp3. This is not a major update. Its just a tweak i'm guessing. Working out all of the kinks so the 610 and 320 will be flawless
    -Mikedemo
    Hey Mike, did the update go in the flash ROM?

If the update is flashed, it would mean that an upgrade to OS 4.0 can also be easily done.
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 06/15/2001 at 03:59 PM.
    Fat's
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Hey Mike, did the update go in the flash ROM?

If the update is flashed, it would mean that an upgrade to OS 4.0 can also be easily done.

Not to my knowledge. I don't think so. Usually a Flash rom update takes longer. (I've done it with a Palm IIIxe) This was more like a normal Hotsync. Plus The older file is still on the device.

If you go to info you'll see these two files in the list:

SonySys v.Yo-2.1
    SonySys v.Yo-1.1

Version 2.1 ofcourse is the newer file.
    -Mikedemo
    Hmm I guess I have to upgrade... On the memory stick that you get, there already is an update too on there... but it's version 2.0. When we put on new updates like this, can we delete the older ones?

Mike
    Do you think the fact that they add that stuff to the menu means anything for the future models? Perhaps replacing the find button with another app or a virtual grafiti area, and perhaps relocation of the power button?
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by MikeD
    Hmm I guess I have to upgrade... On the memory stick that you get, there already is an update too on there... but it's version 2.0. When we put on new updates like this, can we delete the older ones?

Mike
    Good question. I don't know the answer to that yet.
    -Mikedemo
  11.    #11  
    Ok I noticed better Jog wheel support and behavior. For example, in AvantGo 4.0, the jog wheel before the patch would advance a line at a time which could make for a very tired thumb . Since the patch it now advances a page at a time. This makes more sense. Also I noticed apps that never responded to the jog wheel before work with it now.

Not too shabby of an update.
    -Mikedemo
    There's more, too

The update lets you set the back button (if you hold it for a few seconds) to power off (which was already available) or it starts cycling through on screen buttons, and then over to the menus. This lets you use the buttons and menus with the Jog Dial.

That's also probably why they added the power off menu option; if you have the back button set to cycle through on screen buttons instead of power off, you can still power off with only the back button and jog dial.

Also, there's an option to turn on or off "Jog Dial Assist" (or something like that) for each application in the preferences. I found that I could get AvantGo paging down a line at a time with the jog dial, or press and spin jog dial and it goes a page at a time.

Very very cool.

I do find it odd that the update doesn't describe everything it does, and leaves you to figure some of it out, but...
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by CaptainCaveman
    . . . I do find it odd that the update doesn't describe everything it does, and leaves you to figure some of it out, but...
    Heck I wasn't complaining before about the device. It's mad tight already. But if they want to improve on the user experience, its all fine by me.

BTW note I've gone MANGA
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Not to my knowledge. I don't think so. Usually a Flash rom update takes longer. (I've done it with a Palm IIIxe) This was more like a normal Hotsync. Plus The older file is still on the device.

If you go to info you'll see these two files in the list:

SonySys v.Yo-2.1
    SonySys v.Yo-1.1

Version 2.1 ofcourse is the newer file.
    Okay, first of all, my old SonySys file was v/Yo-1.0 and the file on the memory stick to update (as stated at the end of the manual) was v.Yo-2.0 But when I applied this system update, I didn't get a SonySys v.Yo-2.1 file. When you guys installed it, didn't you just install one file? The Update_Yo_2_1_1.PRC right? Instead though, I noticed a file called UpdateLd v.Yo-2.1 (under info/version). Also, I saw an UpdateSonySys file as v.Yo-2.0. Does anyone know if I have successfully completed the update? I get all the same features as everyone else but I was just wondering about these file names and versions showing up on my Clie.

Any thoughts?
  15.    #15  

Okay, first of all, my old SonySys file was v/Yo-1.0 and the file on the memory stick to update (as stated at the end of the manual) was v.Yo-2.0 But when I applied this system update, I didn't get a SonySys v.Yo-2.1 file. When you guys installed it, didn't you just install one file? The Update_Yo_2_1_1.PRC right? Instead though, I noticed a file called UpdateLd v.Yo-2.1 (under info/version). Also, I saw an UpdateSonySys file as v.Yo-2.0. Does anyone know if I have successfully completed the update? I get all the same features as everyone else but I was just wondering about these file names and versions showing up on my Clie.

Any thoughts?
    Actually I have noticed these files:

SonySys v.Yo-2.1
    UpdateSonySonySys v.Yo-2.1

Here's what Sony says about verifying a sucessful install.

Installation Verification Instructions

On the CLIÉ screen, tap the Home icon.

At the Home screen, tap the Menu tab which is located at the top-left of the screen and displays the time.

Tap "App," and then tap "Info."

At the "Info" window, tap the box titled "Version."

Scroll down the list and verify that there is an entry titled "SonySys" v. Yo-2.1."

NOTE: If the entry is not listed, please download and install the update again.

If you feel you have all the features, just go forth and be a happy camper. But if you are not sure, go to the instructions on the update here

http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/clie/index.html

Good luck buddy
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/17/2001 at 09:22 AM.
    -Mikedemo
    hmm still couldn't get it to work. Did you just install the one file??? Or are there others? Also the SonySys file is undeletable so there goes that idea.
  17.    #17  
    hmm still couldn't get it to work. Did you just install the one file??? Or are there others? Also the SonySys file is undeletable so there goes that idea.
    Just the one file.
    -Mikedemo