1.    #1  

Sony-Ericsson intros XPERIA X1 'iPhone killer'
    Sony-Ericsson opened the Mobile World Congress today by unveiling the XPERIA X1, its first true touchscreen-focused cellphone. Following a deal with Microsoft, the handset is Sony-Ericsson's first device to use Windows Mobile for its OS but also uses a custom interface of "XPERIA panels" rather than the default Microsoft front-end: users simply tap panels with their fingers to access calling, media, and other functions, according to the phone designer. Though dominated by its 3-inch, 800x480 touchscreen, the device also includes both optical and physical navigation pads at the bottom as well as a unique arc-slider QWERTY keyboard that widens outward for more comfortable typing.
    The X1 is also the most Internet-connected Sony-Ericsson device in history, the company boasts: unlike even most advanced 3G phones, it offers HSUPA (High Speed Upload Packet Access) that sends video and other media almost as quickly as it comes downstream. Wi-Fi is onboard for short-range networking and is backed by assisted GPS for route finding. A 3.2-megapixel camera with autofocus and a microSD slot (versus Sony-Ericsson's favorite Memory Stick Micro format) round out its key features.

The first XPERIA phone is expected sometime in the second half of 2008; with quad-band GSM and an unprecedented five-band HSPA/UMTS connection, the device should be available both in North America as well as Europe and includes the key 1,700MHz band needed for T-Mobile USA's upcoming 3G service.
    http://www.electronista.com/articles...son.xperia.x1/

Things are looking up for WM. Come on Nokia, jump in. The water is fine.

Feature list
    Camera

Auto focus
    3.2 megapixel camera
    Photo light
    Video recording
    Music

Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
    Media player
    Music tones
    PlayNow™
    Windows Media Player Mobile
    3D games
    FM radio
    Java
    Video streaming
    Video viewing
    Internet

Internet Explorer® Mobile
    RSS feeds
    Communication and Messaging

Polyphonic ringtones
    Speakerphone
    Vibrating alert
    Video calling
    Email
    Picture messaging (MMS)
    Predictive text input
    Text messaging (SMS)
    Design

XPERIA™ panels
    Optical joystick navigation
    Navigation key
    Picture wallpaper
    Touch navigation
    Organiser

Alarm clock
    Calculator
    Calendar
    Document editors
    Document readers
    Flight mode
    Handwriting recognition
    Notes
    Phone book
    Tasks
    Touchscreen
    Connectivity

aGPS
    Bluetooth™ technology
    Modem
    Synchronization
    USB support
    WLAN
    Windows® Mobile® Operating System

Microsoft® Outlook Mobile: email, contacts, calendar, tasks
    Microsoft® Office Mobile: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
    Internet Explorer® Mobile
    Windows Media™ Player Mobile
    Windows Live™
    Exchange ActiveSync®
    Voice control
    Utility Applications: file explorer, calculator, pictures & video, notes
    Facts and Figures

Size: 110 x 53 x 16.7 mm
    Weight: 145 grams
    Available colours

Black
    Silver
    Main screen: 65,536 color TFT
    Resolution: 800 X 480 pixels
    Size: 3 inches
    Memory

Phone memory: up to 400 MB
    microSD™ memory card support
    Availability and versions
    Networks

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 900/1700/1900/2100 MHz
    UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 850/1700/1900/2100 MHz
    Back to list
    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 02/10/2008 at 01:39 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Bill's taking over the world! Still... looks a good bit of kit! Prefer the look of their new 'G' range though (not that it'll be coming state side...).
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  4.    #4  

3.5 mm headphone jack? There must be a god after all.

Another pic - looks really cool.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 02/10/2008 at 03:47 PM.
    I saw that when I went to SE's site to look for new phones. Sony Ericsson always has some of the best designs!!

I think Nokia should stay with Symbian since it's still popular worldwide.

However, I just found an article that says Nokia may indeed put out a WM phone.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...indows-mobile/
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/10/2008 at 04:20 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    However, I just found an article that says Nokia may indeed put out a WM phone.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...indows-mobile/
    One day, maybe one day, but 2008 is already shaping up to be an excellent WM year.

Surur
    Do you think this will alienate Nokia's Symbian fans, or would they just not care as long as Nokia keeps making Symbian phones too?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you think this will alienate Nokia's Symbian fans, or would they just not care as long as Nokia keeps making Symbian phones too?
    I'm sure they would be slightly shocked, since Symbian owns 65% of the market I'm sure they would not feel threatened in any way.

The scenario with SE and WM is a bit similar to Palm and WM, in that for example HTC was selling more WM phones in Europe than SE was selling Symbian phones, so SE's Symbian devices are clearly under threat.

Nokia is obviously not in the same situation, so even if they make 1 or 2 WM devices selling 1-2 million per year, that would just be a minuscule percentage of the 100 million Symbian smartphones they sell.

The only danger would be if there was a huge untapped market for WM devices that were just waiting for a big name like Nokia to step in, but we would just have to see if people love Nokia because of Symbian or if they love Nokia independent of the operating Symbian. This SE experiment should be very informative of this.

Surur
    (1) love that feature list, lol. 50% of those collapse under WM6

(2) Even more funny, evidently HTC makes the damn thing (ODM).

HTC and MS FTW! lol

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/so...he_window.html

Just put up a form for SE. Hopefully they're bringing more to the table for WM soon. I'll leave this thread here for now, but in the future there's an XPERIA forum.

This is a tragic day for the Sony CE division. This once again, shows that Sony CE and the phone division in assocoation can not write good software if their lives are depend on it and the world pease depend on it.

This is basically the Clie 2.0 Sony licensed the PalmOS for many years and finally had to go home with the tail behind their legs. What did they do next? Came up with the UIQ platform which essentially were controlled completely by Sony. And what did they do with UIQ? They got done it and f'ed up the flatform, that's what they haave done. All by themselves without any outside help, no less. Bravo! Everybody please stand up and give Sony software engineers and their managemnet a round of appaulse!
    You know, surur, I'd find you posts a whole lot more compelling without the pro-Microsoft propaganda. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Sony Ericsson doing WM - now only Nokia left
    That's really not true is it.

Top three 'smart mobile device' handset manufacturers Q4 2007:

Nokia 52.9%
    RIM 11.4%
    Apple 6.5%
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2008/r2008021.htm

The implication that WM is some unstoppable force that is crushing all before it simply isn't supported by the the numbers:

Microsoft's share of the worldwide total smart mobile device market:

Q1 2004 23%
    Q2 2004 23%
    Q1 2005 18%
    Q2 2005 16%
    Q1 2006 12%
    Q2 2006 15%
    Q4 2006 14%
    Q4 2007 12%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005071.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006071.htm

OTOH, the device looks rather nice and

Things are looking up for WM.
    I pretty much agree with that, to the extent at least that a another big-hitter with a strong brand and a reputation for quality hardware seems exactly what WM needs.

I haven't seen many WM phones of late that I've seriously considered buying (just the Samsung i780 really) but this certainly adds one to the list.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    You know, surur, I'd find you posts a whole lot more compelling without the pro-Microsoft propaganda. Case in point:
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Sony Ericsson doing WM - now only Nokia left
    That's really not true is it.

Top three 'smart mobile device' handset manufacturers Q4 2007:

Nokia 52.9%
    RIM 11.4%
    Apple 6.5%
    I think you are reading my post with your own preconceived ideas in place. The top 5 are obviously the top 5 mobile phone makers - Apple and RIM dont feature at all. Its the good old Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola. This is the same story reported in Engadget for example.

Microsoft has now won a veritable superfecta of licensing, landing deals with four of the top five phone manufacturers in the world to provide handsets based on Windows Mobile. The latest, announced today at Barcelona's Mobile World Congress, is Sony Ericsson -- a company heavily vested in Symbian by way of its UIQ division, so it's unclear how the licensing deal will ultimately affect UIQ-based offerings. Stay tuned for more on the deal and details on Sony Ericsson's WinMo-based hardware!
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/10/s...obile-devices/

And while this is obviously very good news for WM, I have posted in this very thread that I believe Symbian has nothing to fear. Where you get ...
    The implication that WM is some unstoppable force that is crushing all before it simply isn't supported by the the numbers:
    ... I have no idea.

I believe WM is a very good OS with a lot to offer, and I am happy that I am getting more and more choice from a wide variety of OEMs. I would love a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss lens and 16 GB of built-in storage. WM does not have to take over the world, just be available on all of the top tier handset makers, and I would be very happy indeed.

Surur
    I think you are reading my post with your own preconceived ideas in place. The top 5 are obviously the top 5 mobile phone makers - Apple and RIM dont feature at all. Its the good old Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG and Motorola.
    While I take your point I was responding to your assertion that there is 'only Nokia left', which, even if we consider the whole phone market, is clearly nonsense. If I'm guilty of a preconceived idea it is that Microsoft are competing in the smartphone market, and in that market none of the top three manufacturers makes a WM phone. One of Microsoft's strengths of course is that multiple manufactures licencing WM. Even in aggregate, however, they're barely maintaining their second place position:

Worldwide total smart mobile device market

Microsoft:

Q1 2004 23%
    Q2 2004 23%
    Q1 2005 18%
    Q2 2005 16%
    Q1 2006 12%
    Q2 2006 15%
    Q4 2006 14%
    Q4 2007 12%

RIM:

Q1 2004 6%
    Q2 2004 8%
    Q1 2005 7%
    Q2 2005 7%
    Q1 2006 8%
    Q2 2006 6%
    Q4 2006 7%
    Q4 2007 11%

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005041.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006043.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2005/r2005071.htm
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006071.htm

Add in Apple (0% to 6.5% in six months and only - officially - in four countries) and the appearance of Android handsets this year and you have to wonder if it's only a matter of time before Microsoft have a single digit % share of their market. The market as a whole of course is growing at a pace and they are selling more licences than they used to, which you'd imagine is a sustainable position. I don't think they'll be happy with the headline figures, however, (Ballmer for one doesn't seem the type) and I would not be surprised at all if the current numbers have have consequences for the future of the platform.

I believe WM is a very good OS with a lot to offer, and I am happy that I am getting more and more choice from a wide variety of OEMs.
    Me too. I think it's very good for what it appears to be designed for - use in the enterprise and integration with other Microsoft enterprise software. I think it's much less good as a consumer product, and that is probably why it has failed to keep up with the growth in the smartphone market. I think a lot of this is about ease of use. These skins, as on some of the 'consumer' HTC devices and this new SE handset, are all well and good, but they really are little more skin deep, and what is really required (IMO) is an overhaul of the whole UI. Agree though that some consumer desire can be met with hardware and that cameras and storage are quite a lot of that.
  15.    #15  
    Marcol, you are missing the point, which is that most smartphones sell to people who are just buying high-end phones. Being in the stable of the major phone providers is obviously a benefit to the platform itself.

Symbian's UI is not exactly wonderful, as is RIM's. UI is not all its cracked up to be when it comes to phone sales. Its all about branding, really. Being labelled Sony Erricson will be a big boost to WM.

Surur
    Marcol, you are missing the point, which is that most smartphones sell to people who are just buying high-end phones. Being in the stable of the major phone providers is obviously a benefit to the platform itself.
    Well obviously I agree with the last bit, which is why I wrote this above:

'... another big-hitter with a strong brand and a reputation for quality hardware seems exactly what WM needs.'

Symbian's UI is not exactly wonderful, as is RIM's. UI is not all its cracked up to be when it comes to phone sales.
    Symbian doesn't make a UI of course (since it sold UIQ). If you mean Nokia's S60 UI then I sort of agree. I'm using an S60 phone at the moment and while the UI sure ain't iPhone class (IMO) I prefer it in some ways to the WM UI. It at least has, out of the box, a simple, efficient way of launching all apps, whereas WM has a simple way of launching some apps (the Start menu) and a cumbersome way of launching others (Programs folder). It's also 100% usable one-handed (as you might expect as none of the current devices have touch screens). What I dislike most about it (after the absence of touch screen support) is something it shares with WM: a ludicrous preponderance of nested menus.

Its all about branding, really. Being labelled Sony Erricson will be a big boost to WM.
    While I agree branding is important and some smartphones sales probably are dependent principally on this, I'd argue that, for many consumers at least, usability is a major consideration too. Most people will try a device before they buy, either in the shop or by using someone else's for a while, and factor that into the decision making process. I'm pretty sure that's a big part of the iPhone's success. I think you yourself have pointed out that Apple abolished the learning curve. A phone that most people can just pick up and use makes for a pretty compelling in-shop experience.

I'm pretty surprised by your view that UI is unimportant and 'Its all about branding, really'. Clearly this isn't an opinion shared by, for instance, HTC. If it were, presumably they wouldn't have bothered with TouchFLO at all. Why burn resources on something you believe has no value?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Symbian doesn't make a UI of course (since it sold UIQ). If you mean Nokia's S60 UI then I sort of agree. I'm using an S60 phone at the moment and while the UI sure ain't iPhone class (IMO) I prefer it in some ways to the WM UI. It at least has, out of the box, a simple, efficient way of launching all apps, whereas WM has a simple way of launching some apps (the Start menu) and a cumbersome way of launching others (Programs folder). It's also 100% usable one-handed (as you might expect as none of the current devices have touch screens). What I dislike most about it (after the absence of touch screen support) is something it shares with WM: a ludicrous preponderance of nested menus.
    You are comparing touch screen vs non-touch screen. WM standard works like a normal phone normally works, with no "start menu" for example.

While I agree branding is important and some smartphones sales probably are dependent principally on this, I'd argue that, for many consumers at least, usability is a major consideration too. Most people will try a device before they buy, either in the shop or by using someone else's for a while, and factor that into the decision making process. I'm pretty sure that's a big part of the iPhone's success. I think you yourself have pointed out that Apple abolished the learning curve. A phone that most people can just pick up and use makes for a pretty compelling in-shop experience.

I'm pretty surprised by your view that UI is unimportant and 'Its all about branding, really'. Clearly this isn't an opinion shared by, for instance, HTC. If it were, presumably they wouldn't have bothered with TouchFLO at all. Why burn resources on something you believe has no value?
    Having a Touch, touchflo is gimmick in the end, whereas the start menu is pretty useful, seeing how your most recent apps are there. Touchflo is to draw people into buying it, and is just another brand.

The short version is that people apparently hated the Motorola Razr UI, but it still was a wildly successful phone. People care more about image than functionality. This is the case even for the iPhone.

Surur
    You are comparing touch screen vs non-touch screen. WM standard works like a normal phone normally works, with no "start menu" for example.
    For sure. I was just comparing what I've owned and used.

Having a Touch, touchflo is gimmick in the end, whereas the start menu is pretty useful, seeing how your most recent apps are there. Touchflo is to draw people into buying it, and is just another brand.
    I guess we'll have to agree to differ on this one. I doubt the good people at HTC who designed TouchFLO, nor those at Microsoft, Nokia, RIM, Apple and Google currently working on smartphone UIs , would agree with your hypothesis that 'UI is not all its cracked up to be when it comes to phone sales. Its all about branding, really'. I hope not anyway. I hope they think it's really important and strive to do the best job they can.
    I just saw a thread about MSFT buying Danger/Sidekick. Hicks said Bill is trying to take over!! Makes me wonder if he wasn't correct!

Does this mean WM will be on Sidekicks???