Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    In addition to the lack of EAS. I miss SplashID, SplashShopper, Agendus, and PocketQuicken. I do know that SplashData is/will be working on a iPhone native SplashWallet Suite. None of the other dozens of other Palm software that I've bought over the years do I really miss. The clock/alarm/stopwatch/timer on the iphone is absolutely fantastic.
    If you use a Mac and want to have your passwords on an iPhone, check this product out. It works very well on the Mac and it stores your passwords in an encrypted file that Safari can access (with a password). They will have a native app out once the SDK is out and it's easy to transfer your SplashID data to this program.
    http://1passwd.com/
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileGuy View Post
    If you use a Mac and want to have your passwords on an iPhone, check this product out. It works very well on the Mac and it stores your passwords in an encrypted file that Safari can access (with a password). They will have a native app out once the SDK is out and it's easy to transfer your SplashID data to this program.
    http://1passwd.com/
    Thanks. I have the program. I didn't like how it moved many of my SplashID records into its format (outside of the ewallet?) and it doesn't move the folders into the encrypted file, just the records. For me, it was unmanageable on the iPhone side given how many records I have in SplashID. I really like it on the Mac side and am counting on the SDK to get it right on the mobile end. It also doesn't autofill on the iPhone, does it? That would be great.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Additional 3rd party apps would be great, but
    1. My bank has an awesome mobile website that for my needs work better than splashmoney
    2.I have a dictionary bookmarked in mobile safari
    3. I have a real alarm clock
    4. Google Maps is built in.
    5. I guess the radio thingy you mention sounds neat. The only time though I find myself listening to the radio is sportstalk on my 10 minute drive to work
    1. Doesn't Splash work offline also though? There seems to be other features besides online banking. The problem with the iPhone is you have to be online to do a lot of things. You don't need to be online with other phones to get some things done.
    2. Online dictionaries are OK, but a dictionary stored on the device when you can't get online is good to have too.
    3. Travelers may need an alarm clock on their phone though. Often the ones in hotel rooms are pathetic and wake up calls can be spotty also. I have phone alarms that wake me out of a comfortable sleep a lot, and I DON'T travel all the time, LOL! I also have an alarm clock, LOL!
    4. I like Google Maps, but actually real GPS is more useful in my case. GPS plus iPhone could be a winning combination for some.
    5. Radio is cool, LOL! I still listen to my favorite stations. Plus XM Radio is pretty decent. I discover new stuff from there all the time! I'm not familar with all the radio apps available for Treos/Centro, but maybe I'll try Shoutcast out!

*Just showing why for some, 3rd party apps will still be useful on the iPhone. No offense meant to anyone.*
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    No online radio? Radio on the treo kicks the crap out of FM and ipods....... thousands of stations in every language, every genera, every generation of music, 30 different NPR stations for free,,,,, to listen to any time,,,,, with almost zero commercials. Ipod???? Ipod???? Who wants to spend time loading music onto an extra device so you can listen to the same things over and over????? Just tune in here http://www.shoutcast.com with pocket tunes or resco radio and get a dose of fresh live anything you want any time!

Wait a minute! I just went there and it's the same as XM Radio, LOL!!

But on the Treo/Centro(or any phone for that matter), wouldn't you need high speed and unlimited data to use it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Well you don't have to have Hi speed but that helps. If you are in a non 3g or non EV area or if your hardware is non 3g or ev then you would have to choose the lower bit rate stations like a 24, 32 or 48 kbps station. You would need an unlimited data plan if you stream a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    Thanks. I have the program. I didn't like how it moved many of my SplashID records into its format (outside of the ewallet?) and it doesn't move the folders into the encrypted file, just the records. For me, it was unmanageable on the iPhone side given how many records I have in SplashID. I really like it on the Mac side and am counting on the SDK to get it right on the mobile end. It also doesn't autofill on the iPhone, does it? That would be great.
    No, you are correct, it does not autofill on the iPhone side.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    No 3rd party apps? No financial client like splashmoney to track your funds on the go? No dictionary for quick lookups? No alarm chronos alarm clock to gently wake you with the soft sounds of nature? No mapping app to get you efficiently to those exciting Atlanta destinations? No online radio? Radio on the treo kicks the crap out of FM and ipods....... thousands of stations in every language, every genera, every generation of music, 30 different NPR stations for free,,,,, to listen to any time,,,,, with almost zero commercials. Ipod???? Ipod???? Who wants to spend time loading music onto an extra device so you can listen to the same things over and over????? Just tune in here http://www.shoutcast.com with pocket tunes or resco radio and get a dose of fresh live anything you want any time!
    James, How did I know I'd hear from you??

True, there are no 3rd party apps, but the widgets provide almost the same functions as the Treo's apps. The only problem is that the Touch I'm using needs a WiFi hotspot to use them. The iPhone would have a data plan, so I could access them whenever I want. I don't even have to bookmark them because I can place an icon on the home screen, just like the Treo.

a) I don't use a financial program. I tried PocketQuicken, but never used it. I'm not loaded, so it's not too difficult to keep track of my TWO bank accounts

b) I have the Dictionary and Encyclopedia widgets.

c) LOL...I don't use an alarm clock. I have four dogs...they tell me when it's 6am every morning. Even on the days I don't need to get up

d) Yes, Google Maps.

e) I never listen to the radio...not even in the car. I HATE commercials. At least now I can listen to my music through the car speakers with that cute little adapter that's so cheap and available anywhere. Thanks to the iPod's NORMAL headphone jack I have no need for the adapter on the adapter system for the Treo's 2.5mm jack. BTW...NPR??? Yuck!!

f) I like my music and if I hear something else I like, I add it. I don't like listening to the radio playing 3 or 4 songs I don't like between the ones I do. I have to say...as far as movies, the Touch blows my Treo away. That's what I primarily do for entertainment when I'm out anyway. I like movies playing in the background rather than music.

Don't panic... I said I'm THINKING of getting the iPhone. I still have the two 680s and the 650 so it doesn't mean I'd abandon the Treo all together!
    I guess todays announcements will make everybody happy.

1. Native apps
    2. Full Exchange ActiveSync

native AIM, epocrates, Spore (from EA), and lots others were shown. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm sure Surur will still find a way to hate the iPhone though.
    Easy for me - there's still no hardware keyboard. I went to the AT&T store when it was time to retire my 650 with an open mind. I played with every smartphone they had. The iPhone is gorgeous, and it's user interface is top notch. For me though, the right answer was a hardware keyboard vice a software one. To each his own.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    Easy for me - there's still no hardware keyboard. I went to the AT&T store when it was time to retire my 650 with an open mind. I played with every smartphone they had. The iPhone is gorgeous, and it's user interface is top notch. For me though, the right answer was a hardware keyboard vice a software one. To each his own.
    I guess its an opinion. I can type so much better and faster on the iPhone keyboard than I can on any treo, blackberry, or any other windows mobile device.

Takes a little practice.
  11.    #71  
    I guess its an opinion. I can type so much better and faster on the iPhone keyboard than I can on any treo, blackberry, or any other windows mobile device.

Takes a little practice.
    Yes, it does take practice and a little confidence in the correction features. I now 'type away' and let the device correct me as I miss-key....
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    Me too. I actually ebayed my slider with its 130 MB free storage, 3 MP camera, built in GPS and wifi for the Treo because I love the treos kb.
    P.s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Takes a little practice.
    I'm sure I could get used to it, but it wasn't the speed I didn't like. I liked the feel of it. The tactile feel that is... Maybe I'm just getting too old. Like I said, each person likes their device for their own reasons. I seriously thought that I was going to walk out with a Blackberry II or an iPhone. After trying them all, I just liked the way the Treo "felt" in my hand. I can't describe it, and it's probably not rational - but I'll probably be sticking with this for a while...

Me too. I actually ebayed my slider with its 130 MB free storage, 3 MP camera, built in GPS and wifi for the Treo because I love the treos kb.
    It actually took me less time to rule out the Tilt than the others
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    I guess todays announcements will make everybody happy.

1. Native apps
    2. Full Exchange ActiveSync

native AIM, epocrates, Spore (from EA), and lots others were shown. Pretty cool stuff.

When are these available? About time for IM BTW!!

P.S. Found it on Engadget, they say iPhone 2.0 firmware will be available in June, just like someone else said. I hope there will be NO MORE delays!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/06/2008 at 08:48 PM.

16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    When are these available? About time for IM BTW!!

P.S. Found it on Engadget, they say iPhone 2.0 firmware will be available in June, just like someone else said. I hope there will be NO MORE delays!
    I don't believe there will be any significant delays. They demonstrated the EAS features during the presentation and launched an Enterprise Beta Program today as well.
    If they'd had that firmware ready today, do you know how many phones could have been blown out of the water???

As it stands now, the Nokia N95-4 has been released with tons of features(more expensive than iPhone though). The N78 and N96 are coming around May as well.

If Xperia actually gets out in time, it'll be out before this firmware. The one good thing is Sony Ericsson is turing into Palm with failed on time releases.

Apple should at least have put out something in anticipation of the N95-4. People who have money to spend on the N95-4 might have jumped on the 16GB iPhone instead. More space, less money, comparable features(with the firmware upgrade). The N95-4 still is a better phone at this time.

Speculation that the 3G iPhone will be released the same time the new firmware is:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/3...oming-in-june/

What do you all think? They should get one out at least by Christmas, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If they'd had that firmware ready today, do you know how many phones could have been blown out of the water???

As it stands now, the Nokia N95-4 has been released with tons of features(more expensive than iPhone though). The N78 and N96 are coming around May as well.

If Xperia actually gets out in time, it'll be out before this firmware. The one good thing is Sony Ericsson is turing into Palm with failed on time releases.

Apple should at least have put out something in anticipation of the N95-4. People who have money to spend on the N95-4 might have jumped on the 16GB iPhone instead. More space, less money, comparable features(with the firmware upgrade). The N95-4 still is a better phone at this time.

I can never figure out why anybody would pay so much for a phone that requires me to use t9
    UNLOCKED is a biggie.

Also the newer N-series firmware allows Flash. This one also has US 3G. Better camera than the iPhone. There's a whole lot of other stuff built-in out of the box, unlike the iPhone. I have to check the specs again, but they're very impressive.

You don't buy unlocked, unbranded phones do you? $600-$800(sometimes even more) is the norm for those who absolutely MUST get a phone when it first comes out. You know there's going to be a premium.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast