Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Maybe some're really saying goodbye to their Treo problems. Usually the civil ones.

There's were some more obnoxious iPhone "goodby, see ya later attittude" people when the iPhone first came out, but I think they either calmed down or really did leave, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ^ my friend Phone Diva.......what in God's name are you doing in this avatar ?

i have an idea but i'd rather not say!

<i think i see a background behind her)
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I dont care what shes doing, I just like the avatar.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sitting on a rock that was in shallow ocean water. I think the tide had gone out.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    prove it?

I guess we all realized at some point Palm isn't cutting it for us and we have decided another company does do most of what we need.
  6.    #46  
    Well I'm on my third week with the iphone. Though I dearly miss EAS's (Exchange Active Sync) abilities to wirelessly sync with Exchange and the much more robust and powerful email programs available on the Treo (Chatteremail and yes, even Versamail), I don't miss the resets; not one to date.

I'll be 'jailbreaking' the device next weekend and will be watching how stable it is with 'unapproved' third party programs loaded....
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    There are 3rd party apps for the iphone? So what do they call the OS? Is it just called the iphone OS?
    I'm still waiting for the "official" jailbreak promised but still not delivered by Apple. I heard there's supposed to be a delay. For what? They've had the phone in testing for quite some time, I'm sure!

9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    There are 3rd party apps for the iphone? So what do they call the OS? Is it just called the iphone OS?
    Yes there are. OS X as far as I know....
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm still waiting for the "official" jailbreak promised but still not delivered by Apple. I heard there's supposed to be a delay. For what? They've had the phone in testing for quite some time, I'm sure!
    I think they might have decided that the enterprise functionality is more 'time critical'. The SW 'roadmap' shown for the 3/6 event shows first 'enterprise', than 'SDK', followed by 'Software update'.

I'm OK with that order provided I get enterprise functionality (EAS) in the very near future.
    I'm a longtime Palm user (current 680), seriously considering a switch to the iPhone.

Ohmster, would you mind writing some comparisons on using the built-in iPhone apps vs. what you had on your Treo? A lot of reviews concentrate on the browser and ipod experience - I'm looking for comments comparing Contacts, Calendar and the Phone app.

No push imap on the iPhone, right? I use Chatter on the Treo and would like to know how the switch went.

Thanks in advance
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
    I'm a longtime Palm user (current 680), seriously considering a switch to the iPhone.

Ohmster, would you mind writing some comparisons on using the built-in iPhone apps vs. what you had on your Treo? A lot of reviews concentrate on the browser and ipod experience - I'm looking for comments comparing Contacts, Calendar and the Phone app.

No push imap on the iPhone, right? I use Chatter on the Treo and would like to know how the switch went.

Thanks in advance
    Certainly.

Phone:

On the Treo, I really liked how starting to type a name would take you to the nearest matches. I also liked the speed dial features. Much easier than the 'Favorites' on the iphone. I think they could have easily implemented that on the screen keypad. On the iPhone, I like its responsiveness. No push, wait, push and then have it do a flood of inane actions in response to excessive keying. The iPhone just does. I also really like the 'return to phone' bar that shows up in the other applications when you switch while on a call. The picture voice-mail is extremely convenient and makes it so simple to select any particular message. 'Recents' only shows 'All' and 'Missed'. No clear visibility of 'Incomming' or 'Outgoing'. The on screen keypad on the iPhone is much better.

Calendar:

I miss categories, but not that much.-I used Agendus Premium so my experience may be different than yours. I enjoyed all the features of Agendus (contact linking, attendees, history, views, icons, etc.). On the iPhone I appreciate how quickly it loads up but I don't like that I can't start an entry where I point/push on the screen. I also am not happy that you can't drag and drop appointments in any of the views. There is also no good fast way to go to a specific date.

Contacts:

Again, Agendus provided a slew of options, but the native Palm app wasn't that bad either. The iphone phone integration with contacts seems better and the field options more robust. You have (I believe) much more flexibility of viewing and adding fields. The photo linking to a contact is sweet. It is a pain sometimes to navigate to a specific contact. The iphone has too many 'go back' type navigation for menu/function selections.

Does it seem that several features are lacking and the iPhone is a step backwards in regard to PIM? Yes, on several functional levels. However, to me, the main thing is that it works flawlessly. No duplications in the calendar or contacts (that was a weekly 'UnDupe' session on the Treo). No wierd unresponsiveness that lasted minutes at a time. Not a single reset in over two weeks. Fast. Fast. Fast. I even ran only EDGE the last two days, and though the network speed tests showed it to be significantly slower than EVDO, you would be hard pressed to tell by the webpage loading/rendering. I love the Clock and Weather apps!

So I'm happy. But I don't play with the iPhone nearly as much as I did with my 650 or 700p when new. Could be I'm jaded or just getting old....

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

Oh, almost forgot. It does support push but only with Yahoo mail I think. Chatter push was fantastic but a battery killer. I eventually left Chatter for, yes, Versamail due to it's wireless calendar and contact sync. And I didn't want to have to deal with two mail programs on the device. Right now, I've got the iPhone set for checking mail every 15 minutes.

It's late and I'm sure I've provided plenty of fodder for flaming....
    Last edited by Ohmster; 03/04/2008 at 01:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    I think they might have decided that the enterprise functionality is more 'time critical'. The SW 'roadmap' shown for the 3/6 event shows first 'enterprise', than 'SDK', followed by 'Software update'.

I'm OK with that order provided I get enterprise functionality (EAS) in the very near future.

Maps are read from East to West. Look at the map again.
    I have realized that I almost never play with my Treo anymore. All I ever use it for is to make calls and check for appointments and contact info. I've been playing around with the iPod Touch and it does the PIM info fine for my needs. I think I might switch to the iPhone if it ever comes out with a bit more memory (like the 32gb Touch)
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Maps are read from East to West. Look at the map again.

From iLounge:

According to our sources, Apple will use the March 6 event to tout the benefits of the SDK to selected media, analysts, and developers, releasing an incomplete, “beta” version of the kit that was originally promised for February. The actual kit will now ship in June, coinciding with Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference event in San Francisco. Additional announcements regarding iPhone compatibility with popular enterprise software, including Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes, will also take place, in an effort to convince corporate users to adopt the iPhone despite reservations over its on-screen keyboard and e-mail functionality.
    Last edited by Ohmster; 03/04/2008 at 04:19 PM.
    I guess that works for their timeline with their conference.

But by the time June comes, the next Nokia smartphones will be out. And possibly the Xperia 1. The kit better be awfully good.

MSFT Exchange compatibility sounds good, I hope they can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I have realized that I almost never play with my Treo anymore. All I ever use it for is to make calls and check for appointments and contact info. I've been playing around with the iPod Touch and it does the PIM info fine for my needs. I think I might switch to the iPhone if it ever comes out with a bit more memory (like the 32gb Touch)
    No 3rd party apps? No financial client like splashmoney to track your funds on the go? No dictionary for quick lookups? No alarm chronos alarm clock to gently wake you with the soft sounds of nature? No mapping app to get you efficiently to those exciting Atlanta destinations? No online radio? Radio on the treo kicks the crap out of FM and ipods....... thousands of stations in every language, every genera, every generation of music, 30 different NPR stations for free,,,,, to listen to any time,,,,, with almost zero commercials. Ipod???? Ipod???? Who wants to spend time loading music onto an extra device so you can listen to the same things over and over????? Just tune in here http://www.shoutcast.com with pocket tunes or resco radio and get a dose of fresh live anything you want any time!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    No 3rd party apps? No financial client like splashmoney to track your funds on the go? No dictionary for quick lookups? No alarm chronos alarm clock to gently wake you with the soft sounds of nature? No mapping app to get you efficiently to those exciting Atlanta destinations? No online radio? Radio on the treo kicks the crap out of FM and ipods....... thousands of stations in every language, every genera, every generation of music, 30 different NPR stations for free,,,,, to listen to any time,,,,, with almost zero commercials. Ipod???? Ipod???? Who wants to spend time loading music onto an extra device so you can listen to the same things over and over????? Just tune in here http://www.shoutcast.com with pocket tunes or resco radio and get a dose of fresh live anything you want any time!
    Additional 3rd party apps would be great, but
    1. My bank has an awesome mobile website that for my needs work better than splashmoney
    2.I have a dictionary bookmarked in mobile safari
    3. I have a real alarm clock
    4. Google Maps is built in.
    5. I guess the radio thingy you mention sounds neat. The only time though I find myself listening to the radio is sportstalk on my 10 minute drive to work
    Last edited by mobileman; 03/05/2008 at 10:10 AM.
  19.    #59  
    In addition to the lack of EAS. I miss SplashID, SplashShopper, Agendus, and PocketQuicken. I do know that SplashData is/will be working on a iPhone native SplashWallet Suite. None of the other dozens of other Palm software that I've bought over the years do I really miss. The clock/alarm/stopwatch/timer on the iphone is absolutely fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster View Post
    I've been using Apple products for close to 25 years and am sure I will not be disappointed.
    How sad. "No one ever went broke..."
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast