WOW... I went to the Verizon store today with every intention of turning in my old 650 for a 755p. The guy showed me the Verizon SMT5800. I really liked the form factor, it seemed easy to use, so I impulsively decided to give it a go. It was about the same cost as getting the 755p, and I have the 30-day use/return option.

I really like the phone, and I like many things about Windows Mobile. I haven't used Outlook in years so I would have to spend some time setting that up, but no big deal.

What I can't get over, is the lack of functional push e-mail. I had done some research on this before, but I had to try it to believe it. I downloaded flexmail immediately and gave that a go. At least with flexmail, I was getting push e-mail but in a somewhat awkward interface, with poor alerts/notifications. However, adding flexmail alone and NO other apps, the delay when flipping the screen to landscape view increased from about 1 second to about 5-7 seconds (unacceptable when you need your phone to work in a hurry).

I guess the lesson for me is that Windows Mobile is a MICROSOFT intensive OS (as obvious as that sounds, it wasn't so clear to me before). If you use exchange, I suppose it's fine.... but I have 2 gmail accounts, an IMAP account, AND an exchange account, so support for exchange alone just isn't enough! How is Windows Mobile so far behind the game in this, when PalmOS has chatter, and blackberry has it's push technology?? I don't get it!

Anyway, I think I'm going to head back to Verizon tomorrow and pick up a 755p. The benefits seem pretty obvious to me... Ease of transferring contacts (which are already on palm desktop), push email for ALL my accounts (via Chatter, which has become a part of my life and works SO well!), use of the same 3rd party apps without having to rediscover/repurchase many of them. Plus, the palmOS just seems faster and less... clunky?