Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Thank you Kupe!! People like to conveniently forget what Jobs' huge display compared the iPhone to. Why else would he put up pictures of smartphones instead of other multi-media phones?
    Another irony: If the iPhone isn't a business phone (as the apologists will claim), it must be an entertainment phone, yet it doesn't have access to much gaming software, nor can it be used with something as commonly available to the other "business" phones as SlingPlayer. It's simply a very pretty device with a half-baked set of features. That, in and of itself, isn't bad - it's the continuous stream of claims it is so much more that shows the fanbois for what they are. Stevie Jobs got 2 out of 3 right in his 2007 keynote address: iPhone is a phone and an iPod. It's a sub-par "internet mobile communicator" though.
  2. #42  
    If you want simplicity (average user as you state it), get a sidekick.

    Integrated email, integrated chat clients, all data is sent through Danger's servers.

    That means you can get IM's or email even when your phone has no signal and it will sync up when you do again and you get a new, dedicated email address with push mail.

    That sounds like a better option for "simplicity of use" than the iphone (granted the browser will be worse than Safari).

    My Treo 755p is stable unless I install an app that introduces problems because of the way it was coded. But that's what happens when you have thousands of 3rd party software you can install, something will conflict or not work properly. I gave up a WM6 device that was a lot less stable than my 755p is though.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Not to re-re-plow old ground, but you need only go back and review the original iPhone unveiling at the Jan 07 Mac World Expo to see Stevie Jobs compare his device to (then) current business phones across the board with words like "first" and "never" to set-apart iPhone functions from common functions on business phones. Only the iPhone apologists continue trying to float this red herring argument whenever the weaknesses of their phone's feature set are pointed out. The iPhone was introduced as a better alternative to business phones - too bad it lacked the feature set (and still does 1 year later) to back up that claim.
    I use my iPhone for business purposes everyday. I check my imap email, and I sync my calendar and contacts. Exactly what I used my previous blackberry, and before that a treo for. I cannot think (for my needs) anything those previous phones did better.

    I have never used mms a day in my life, and dont really care about 3g as browsing is already fantastic on my iphone. I love it when people try to tell you what features you need on a phone for it to be considered a smartphone. My iPhone is pretty smart to me. Sorry Kupe, not everybody needs the features you do.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Again, the VAST majority of Treo users don't use all those things ...

    Most Treo users don't use any of these things...

    I know tons of people
    Wow - these are very convincing statistics - I am especially impressed by your sources. Can you offer me something similar with regard to Nokia phone sales?

    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    I use my iPhone for business purposes everyday. I check my imap email, and I sync my calendar and contacts. Exactly what I used my previous blackberry, and before that a treo for. I cannot think (for my needs) anything those previous phones did better.
    I believe you. I have set up my wife's Moto RAZR to perform those very same functions for her too...but I sure don't confuse her RAZR with a business-oriented smartphone. Clearly you don't need a smart phone - you need a prettier RAZR - and that's fine. But that doesn't obviate the iPhone's role as a pale imitation of the business phone it was originally marketed as. You need only delete 65 of the 70 emails you get before noon of a typical work day to realize that function (like many others) wasn't developed by anyone with other than a casual use pattern... like the RAZR.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

    I believe you. I have set up my wife's Moto RAZR to perform those very same functions for her too...but I sure don't confuse her RAZR with a business-oriented smartphone. Clearly you don't need a smart phone - you need a prettier RAZR - and that's fine. But that doesn't obviate the iPhone's role as a pale imitation of the business phone it was originally marketed as. You need only delete 65 of the 70 emails you get before noon of a typical work day to realize that function (like many others) wasn't developed by anyone with other than a casual use pattern... like the RAZR.
    Hmm, I delete plenty of email on a daily basis and have no problem with it. I guess your wife is using t9 to do her emails? I use the full qwerty keyboard on the iPhone (much better than the tiny keyboards on the blackberry and treo). Also, I view my emails on an awesome 3.5 inch screen, how big is the Razrs screen? What else am I missing buisiness wise on my iPhone?
  6. #46  
    Correct me if I'm wrong but business phones typically have a hardware keyboard.

    Reference BlackBerry for example.

    Now you can argue that the IPhone is "thinking outside of the box" or "just as effective" or whatever you want, but phones advertised towards business use generally have a qwerty hardware keyboard.

    (much better than the tiny keyboards on the blackberry and treo)
    Totally opinion. Considering how many people use BlackBerry for data entry/email/sms,etc I really don't think it's as black and white as "iPhone keyboard is so much better". If you have problems typing on the Treo keyboard you must be a giant. I have large hands and I can type on it fine.

    Also does the IPhone support EAS yet? Considering how many workplaces used Goodlink or EAS, that is fairly standard on a business phone.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I disagree with the GSM statement because I love worldwide capable phones. BUT yeah, the iPhone is NO smartphone! And EDGE is getting outdated for the times. The iPhone just has the best screen on any phone and that's the real reason people love it so much.
    And The Diva should know; God knows she has tried them all.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
  8. #48  
    Edited: wrong post.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but business phones typically have a hardware keyboard.

    Reference BlackBerry for example.

    Now you can argue that the IPhone is "thinking outside of the box" or "just as effective" or whatever you want, but phones advertised towards business use generally have a qwerty hardware keyboard.



    Totally opinion. Considering how many people use BlackBerry for data entry/email/sms,etc I really don't think it's as black and white as "iPhone keyboard is so much better". If you have problems typing on the Treo keyboard you must be a giant. I have large hands and I can type on it fine.

    Also does the IPhone support EAS yet? Considering how many workplaces used Goodlink or EAS, that is fairly standard on a business phone.
    Who said business phones need a hardware keyboard? All I know is in my own usage, the iPhone keyboard is far superior than the tiny keys of both the treo (how can anybody enjoy typing on a centro?), and a blackberry. Also, the soft keyboard allows for the huge screen. I think with the iPhone success you will see more phone makers copy the apple keyboard.

    As for EAS, sure it would be nice, but my company allows connection using imap (ever since the CIO got himself an iPhone). Again I ask, what great business features am I missing out on?
  10. #50  
    Centro is a downsized keyboard, so I can see that. It's a budget 755p basically.
  11. #51  
    As for EAS, sure it would be nice, but my company allows connection using imap
    It's not about you. A LOT of people and companies use EAS. WM? Comes with outlook standard. Even VM which is ancient works with EAS (as well as snappermail and chattermail). One persons needs doesn't dictate whether or not the iPhone has all the standard business phone features.
    Last edited by papped; 02/28/2008 at 08:03 PM.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It's not about you. A LOT of people and companies use EAS. WM? Comes with outlook standard. Even VM which is ancient works with EAS (as well as snappermail and chattermail). One persons needs doesn't dictate whether or not the iPhone has all the standard business phone features.
    Actually, it is about me. I have stated my opinion. If the iPhone suits my needs, then it is good enough for me. If it doesn't fit your needs, then dont buy one. However, you needs should not dictate what I find to be an acceptable business device. I am still waiting for somebody to tell me what I am missing out on by using the iPhone.
  13. #53  
    Ok, the RAZR suites my business needs.

    Therefore it is a business smartphone...

    Also, so does my Tonka truck.
  14. #54  
    I don't fully understand why this debate continues. All these phones offer wonderful abilities and some are better for some tasks/needs/sensibilities than others. We can argue about whether the iPhone is REALLY a smart phone or not, but differences in what features people care most about means we'll never agree. I do think, however, that it is obvious that the iPhone is on to something that is changing the landscape in a very short period of time--just look at the iPhone sales numbers, the data on mobile web traffic usage, the fast-growing iPhone 3rd party app community (even w/o an SDK,), and the proliferation of iPhone like devices by other manufacturers. And this is not just due to fanboys... it's due to forward-thinking design at both the software and hardware level and the creation of a device that is powerful, fun/easy to use, and useful.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Ok, the RAZR suites my business needs.

    Therefore it is a business smartphone...

    Also, so does my Tonka truck.
    Good for you then, if the razr fits your needs then that's great.
  16. #56  
    The iPhone is clearly marginal for business at the moment.

    That's all about to change, though.

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/6649...ne?source=feed

    http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9880410-37.html

    It will be interesting to revisit this thread after March 6.

    All of that said, not everyone is wedded to Outlook/Exchange for email.

    And perhaps it's just my bad luck with the carrier, but using my Treo 700p on Verizon to surf the net is PAINFUL compared to borrowing my wife's iPhone. So what's the deal with these complaints about the iPhone's slowness? (Realize that I consider WM to be an abomination that should be destroyed, so as far as I'm aware, for all the kvetching, where are the 3G Palm OS Treo's?)
  17. #57  
    I don't fully understand why this debate continues.
    Because it's a thread about the greatness of the iPhone on a board about future Treos. Kinda makes sense.

    All of that said, not everyone is wedded to Outlook/Exchange for email.
    Obviously not everyone is, yet it is included on a lot of devices standard. I would assume for a reason?
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by compudude View Post
    The iPhone is clearly marginal for business at the moment.
    Its not marginal at all for my business needs.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Because it's a thread about the greatness of the iPhone on a board about future Treos. Kinda makes sense.



    Obviously not everyone is, yet it is included on a lot of devices standard. I would assume for a reason?

    Actually this is the "Other Handhelds" forum. Fits in perfectly here as the iPhone is infact an "other handheld"
  20. #60  
    Except that it wasn't posted here. It was moved here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions