Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Every time I hear "IPhone" and "innovation" in the same sentence I giggle...

My favorite is the IPhone commercials that make it seem groundbreaking to have internet access on your phone.
    What I love from iphone is
    -IPOD
    -Safari
    -YouTube

I know its not really the business (smartphone) functions, it is more a multimedia phones

that is why i'm back to treo 680
    iPhone is the best phone I've ever had. I was a die-hard Palm user for 10 years, still have a Treo 650 (in a drawer now), and all I can say is --- I love all the extra time I have now that I'm not having to tinker and tweak my Treo to death. iPhone does what I need, requires no tweaking, and although other PDAs and smartphones have the internet, they don't have the internet quite like this

I can honestly say I don't miss using a Palm, but to each his/her own. You have to go with what works best for you.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    My wife has played with my Treo many times and seen its capabilities and when I switched to at&t I offered to get her an iPhone since its screen is so perty but this blond doesn't get hipnotized by a shiny object, she flat out told me she didn't want it and she couldn't see it being as capable as a PDA phone and she wanted a real PDA and she wanted the Curve. My wife is not as dumb as I thought in the PDA department.
    My wife had played with my 650 in the past... Didn't really like it, but liked how I was able to easily do what I (and she) wanted to do with a smartphone. She had a Blackberry Pearl at the time. I upgraded to a 750 and she spent more time playing with it than she did my 650. Two weeks later (or so) we were in the AT&T store picking up a 750 for her. She's not as dumb as I thought either!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Even if the IPhone was twice the business phone that the Treo was and wasn't on a slower network, that isn't gonna be enough to get me to pay double or triple the $$ for the exact same plan on Sprint.

Considering both of those things aren't true, I'm definitely not going to pay a lot more for a plan...
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

there, since you apparently don't have punctuation on your keyboard, I felt the need to throw some in for you.

While I admit the iphone is a great phone (I have the ipod touch) it wouldn't, nor couldn't, replace my Treo 700wx. Now, let me also add to that point, COPY/PASTE is the absolute deal breaker... come on.
    I'm fairly certain copy/paste will be coming soon. I agree that it's a silly oversight/omission. Regarding rate plans -- given I was already an AT&T customer with an old promotional rate plan ($39.99/1,000 minutes), I was very happy when I could upgrade to my iPhone without endangering my rate plan, so it's been a good thing for me. Like some others, I still carry my old 650 in my bag for one essential app --- Checkbook --- which I hope to replace when 3rd party apps come online.
    Palm since Palm Professional --- Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone since 6/29/07
    Enjoy your iSuckPhone. I make idiotPhone users cry every day over what the POS can't do. Nice web browser. Nothing else comes close to what a real smartphone can do.
    if I'm not mistaken the Treo is the true POS.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Even if the IPhone was twice the business phone that the Treo was and wasn't on a slower network, that isn't gonna be enough to get me to pay double or triple the $$ for the exact same plan on Sprint.

Considering both of those things aren't true, I'm definitely not going to pay a lot more for a plan...
    One is true...the iPhone is on a slower network.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Well, I've struggled with this one...I have the 755p and on Sprint...have gone back and forth...and had the iPhone...and I'm all Mac at home, and the sync is stunning! The iPhone is really impressive. I have to admit. I've been a long-time Palm fan though. The Palm OS is ancient but much like an old car, it's reliable and gets the job done. I have a VERY difficult time walking away from Sprint, though, with $40/month with unlimted data and my corporate 23% discount. If/ever Apple looks at a CDMA device, I might go for it. But for now I choose to save my money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    iPhone is the best phone I've ever had. I was a die-hard Palm user for 10 years, still have a Treo 650 (in a drawer now), and all I can say is --- I love all the extra time I have now that I'm not having to tinker and tweak my Treo to death. iPhone does what I need, requires no tweaking, and although other PDAs and smartphones have the internet, they don't have the internet quite like this

I can honestly say I don't miss using a Palm, but to each his/her own. You have to go with what works best for you.
    The same goes for me. I keep my 650 around to back up my SplashID from my laptop. I love the iPhone and can't wait for the new apps to start rolling in.

To be honest, I have already been using 3rd party apps...jailbroke my iPhone. It is really fun to add different springboards. The web and video experience simply blows away my old 650.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Every time I hear "IPhone" and "innovation" in the same sentence I giggle...

My favorite is the IPhone commercials that make it seem groundbreaking to have internet access on your phone.
    yes, and Palm's offerings and Treo design have been so "innovative" as well.

there are some innovative features to the iPhone, but we've been down that road twice already.

cheers
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri Guy View Post
    Regarding rate plans -- given I was already an AT&T customer with an old promotional rate plan ($39.99/1,000 minutes)
    How much is that with unlimited data + unlimited text?

I currently have $29 a month for 500 minutes (nights and weekends at 7pm) + unlimited text + unlimited data + 15% discount.

yes, and Palm's offerings and Treo design have been so "innovative" as well.
    I guess the difference would be that I didn't say the Treo was innovative, did I?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser View Post
    The same goes for me. I keep my 650 around to back up my SplashID from my laptop. I love the iPhone and can't wait for the new apps to start rolling in.

To be honest, I have already been using 3rd party apps...jailbroke my iPhone. It is really fun to add different springboards. The web and video experience simply blows away my old 650.
    You might check out 1Password. Better than Splash ID (does more stuff, like auto password/username input on web sites, etc) but also can be used to just store the data. Sync's with iPhone and puts the data in a file that Safari can read (encrypted). So, it will allow you to put the old 650 away for good.

(I've also switched to the iPhone and love it-- do mostly email, calendar, phone. But the web becomes truly useful and allows me to not use the notebook/desktop as much as I would otherwise, like with on-line bill payment and brokerage sites. Edge is slow, but wifi is great, and available almost everywhere I go. Youtube and Google maps are wonderful as well. Finally, for those of us who listen to a lot of music, books, or podcasts, it's wonderful to have one device that does it so well and easily. So as much as I used my Treo all the time, I use the iPhone even more. Now some around me might say that's not such a good thing...)
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    So, I have FOUR different devices on me at any one time that includes an iPhone (personal device), a BB8310 (newest toy), a Treo 680 (what I stopped using for the iPhone), AND an old Garmin PDA. I use them as demo platfroms for GolfTraxx (GPS Rangefinder integrated into a smart phone), and see the 'value' in each.

What I can say after using multiple models of the Palm based Treo is that I had enough stability issues to put the things on Prozac. The BB is what a Treo COULD be. REALLY good device and pretty much is a business tool, and a might fine one at that. The old Garmin - hey it works and has a BIG screen which is good to show off our demo.

That leaves the iPhone. Can it be used for serious emailing/business - YES. In fact I use it all the time to run a business. Is it COOL, does it work everywhere, YES, and YES. Is it slow? Yes.

Does that matter - Nope, I'm not a brain surgeon. What does it lack? GPS, better reading/editing of docs, a few other items... But nothing so far that has not stopped me from loving the thing! If it came in a clam shell version my wife would kill for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KreativeArtz View Post
    http://forum.phonedifferent.com/
    Interesting I've own the treo 270, 300, 600, 650, 680, 700, 750, 755, and even the Centro...For those who are waiting on "THE NEXT TREO" your wasting your time.
    iPhone - perfect for people who don't know the difference between your and you're
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I believe most Treo users don't use the Treo for business purposes--and they would most benefit from the switch. Safari is a revelation compared to the aging Blazer. Even though the network is supposed to be slower, I have often seen Safari pages load WAY faster than Blazer on EVDO!
    Browser loading speed is not even an indication of network speed. They are 2 entirely different things.

Just because Blazer renders/loads slower doesn't mean the faster network is of no use. The same goes for Safari in reverse.

You switched to a slower network because Safari renders faster? That's fine, if all you care about is browser loading speed.

Plenty of people tether or other methods that don't involve a browser and still use the data connection. Even more so, some people use other browsers than Blazer. That makes the difference between EVDO (or even EVDO Rev A on certain devices like the Mogul) a huge difference even if Blazer is slower. Using the network connection for things other than the browser has nothing to do with you using the device as business or personal either.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    The iPhone has always claimed it was not a business device, so it's just stupid to complain that because the iPhone can't do what's required for business (like a Treo can) that it's somehow inferior.
    Not to re-re-plow old ground, but you need only go back and review the original iPhone unveiling at the Jan 07 Mac World Expo to see Stevie Jobs compare his device to (then) current business phones across the board with words like "first" and "never" to set-apart iPhone functions from common functions on business phones. Only the iPhone apologists continue trying to float this red herring argument whenever the weaknesses of their phone's feature set are pointed out. The iPhone was introduced as a better alternative to business phones - too bad it lacked the feature set (and still does 1 year later) to back up that claim.
    Last edited by Kupe; 02/28/2008 at 06:22 AM.
    Thank you Kupe!! People like to conveniently forget what Jobs' huge display compared the iPhone to. Why else would he put up pictures of smartphones instead of other multi-media phones?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast