Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Well I have had the treo 70wx for some time and happy in many ways but some features just arent going to be in the new 800w and i dont know i ike the new look. plus i need a larger keyboard and a camera that has a da*m flash so it looks like the new VX6800 from Verizon is my new toy, will have it tomarrow and i cant wait. larger screen builtin wifi flash for camera win6.1 and more hope its worth it thanks for all the help and let me know if anyone else knows any good pointers for this phone
    Don
    I upgraded to an i760 and couldn't get used to the slider. Went back to my Treo.
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
    I know many folks who look at thosw wide slider keyboards, and think 'hey that will sure be easier to use than this Treo thing'. They try them (no this doesn't apply to EVERYone, but a lot of folks I know) and then after a few weeks of that slider/two hand/stylus heavy use, they either:
    a) come back to a one-handed device or
    b) kinda regret their decision, but hey it's too late by then so they just deal with it.

All I'm saying is - really check out the overall usability and design. yes the keyboard may look cool when you're in the store but man - once you get home & really drive it....you may be back.

And if not - no sweat. It's all good here.
    I jumped to a 6800 only to come back to the Treo. I was use to the one handed use of the Treo and the stability. Good luck with your device.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I really fail to see why people think it's important to tell us that they are moving to a different phone.

Why should we care? We're not you, so it doesn't affect us. Would you care if I told you I was going to trade in my Pontiac for a Chevy? Probably not, as it makes no difference to you what kind of car I drive.
    heh - I too am always mystified by these - 'hey look at me; I'm going to drive another car now' messages. Like the teenager who really inside wants to be talked out of doing the bad thing. Very strange, the pathology here.

Not trying to be mean here - I just am always in wonderment when I read these kinds of posts. (maybe there's a secret longing to be talked out of whatever the new decision is?)
    If you love the one handedness of the Treo the 6800 is probably the worst possible device to pick. I now have a i760 (I'm the PDA guy at work so I needed to try out the newer devices..hehe.) but still support all our 700wx users, and even the i760 with the front keypad can not compare to the ease of the Treo. The i760 does not even have T9 for typing text messages so you have to flip the damn keyboard out if you want to type anything other then a word or two. I tried the 6800 and you just couldn't be dialing a contact near as fast as you can on the Treo or i760.

Now this just means I don't txt as much when I'm driving, so I suppose that's a good thing? :-)
    I can understand the frustration of some of you gurus with these threads - but honestly it does help some of us when our 2 yr contract is up. It is just like reading the review threads except that this is from 'like-minded' individuals. (I use that term very loosely - since we all owned the 700W at some point). This is much more comprehensive since it is not about just one device. These threads do help us make a good assessment of what device to go for next. Until I read the plus/minus of the 6800, I was honestly considering looking at it. @Barnstormer's comment on looking up contacts was so relevant. That would be a definite negative for me. I love this forum and the unbiased information that you get about the devices. Hey, now that this is available as RSS - it is 'n' on Google Reader for the threads that I don't want to read. Sorry - don't mean to touch a nerve
    Quote Originally Posted by photojunky View Post
    I can understand the frustration of some of you gurus with these threads - but honestly it does help some of us when our 2 yr contract is up. It is just like reading the review threads except that this is from 'like-minded' individuals. (I use that term very loosely - since we all owned the 700W at some point). This is much more comprehensive since it is not about just one device. These threads do help us make a good assessment of what device to go for next. Until I read the plus/minus of the 6800, I was honestly considering looking at it. @Barnstormer's comment on looking up contacts was so relevant. That would be a definite negative for me. I love this forum and the unbiased information that you get about the devices. Hey, now that this is available as RSS - it is 'n' on Google Reader for the threads that I don't want to read. Sorry - don't mean to touch a nerve
    Agreed. Sometimes these threads are a good chance to view the pros and cons of other phones. It is all based on personal preferences, wants, and professional needs. For example....someone who does a lot of quick 5 word texts all day, the Treo format is certainly the most advantageous. But then like me, I work off of emails more. So I will write fewer emails than others may text but my emails by necessity are often times very LONG....which then the wider keyboard is better and easier to work with. Is one better than the other, certainly not. Is the Treo owner more right than the 6800 owner, not unless both users have exactly identical personal preferences, professional needs, and personal wants.

Whenever someone asks me which phone to buy, I never just say "Buy this one, it is the best" because that is a total relative claim. I first ask questions like,
    • "What do you want to do with it?"
    • "Do you do more texting or emails?"
    • "Do you want to play games, stream your Tivo, watch DVDs?" (screen size difference between phones like the Treo or 6800)

Then I might say take a look at the PPC-6800 but also look at the Treo 700wx. Hold both of them. Type an email on both of them. Feel how they fit in your hand and how they balance.

The bottom line if a phone meets all (or most) of your needs with it's pros and you can live with or work around it's cons, then you are going to be happy with your phone no matter if it is a prepaid cell phone with only one button to call 911 if you fall and can't get up or the latest WM phone with a leaked WM 8.5 OS with thought driven navigation, over 3.2 GB of RAM, 16 GB Storage and processor that runs at 385 TFlops.

Sometimes comments in these potentially helpful and informative threads kind of remind me of two elementary kids out on the play ground arguing about who's Dad is tougher and could beat up the other.

BTW....if anyone who is considering the 6800 here is a review I just did for the PPC-6800 over at WMExperts.com
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/09/2008 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    I tried the 6800 and you just couldn't be dialing a contact near as fast as you can on the Treo or i760.
    I am a previous Treo owner and I have been using the 6800 for over 6 months now and I don't have a problem at all. As with any phone, it is just a matter of having the right tools for the job. I dial my top 25 or so most call people with only one or two taps by just clicking on their picture. Then for everyone else it is very simple and easily one handed as with any other phone, including the Treo. I use SPB Shell and SPB Phone Suite. SPB contacts that is included is a wonder on any WM phone, even if it has an exposed keyboard like the Treo.

Take a look at these two articles at WMExperts for more in depth details:

How To: Use your WM Smartphone One-Handed

Must Have Windows Mobile Software

I hope this helps.
    I just switched back to the 700wx yesterday. (thank god i didnt' sell it)

Making calls drove me nuts. Going through the contact list to find the right person, and you almost needed the stylist out to do this....

Then everytime somebody sends a text message or something, having to open teh slider and typing a message just took too long.....

Treo700wx FTW. can't wait for the 800w.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ek9max View Post
    I just switched back to the 700wx yesterday. (thank god i didnt' sell it)

Making calls drove me nuts. Going through the contact list to find the right person, and you almost needed the stylist out to do this....

Then everytime somebody sends a text message or something, having to open teh slider and typing a message just took too long.....

Treo700wx FTW. can't wait for the 800w.
    Calls: Thats weird, I dont have to do any of that to make calls, I do it all one handed.

sliding the phone open, the screen rotates and I can text very easily. Unless Palm knocks a huge home run out on the 800, I wouldnt trade the 6800 back for a treo...

Just another opinion...
    I don't know about the 6800, but my Tilt allows voice dialing via BT, something the w/wx will never do. Also, my contacts and emails can be scrolled thru with my thumb since it has Touchflo.

I'm like Hobbes, I communicate via email rather than text, so the slider doesn't affect me in a negative manner. The overall stability of the Tilt versus my ZV 700wx is a huge factor. Also, the ability to truely customize my device is a plus. I'm currently running WM6.1 with TomTom and BB Connect and couldn't be happier.
    An unofficial build of WM 6.1 based off the leaked Sprint GPS enabled ROM is available for most 6800 devices too (Sprint, Verizon, Bell, etc).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/foru...384&order=desc

PPCGeeks.com is switching servers right now, so their site is not working well right now. However, their link is http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer