Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hold everything!!! Sony will be announcing new Clie models soon. This leaked from CDW website: Clie N610C for $377!!!

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=301196

The rumors are this is exactly like the N710C, except no MP3/ATRAC3 playback. It is still High Resolution and Color and selling for $377!!! Palm-killer!!!

Actually, I have heard a while back that Sony is planning to release 4 Clie models. We have seen three: S300, N710C, and the new N610C, I think the next will be a new monochrome one called the Clie S320 although not sure what it has.

Sony is going to take the Palm PDA market by storm!!
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 06/13/2001 at 11:42 PM.
    Fat's
    Fatman,

If you are correct with the N610C being a shrinked up version of the 710 w/o MP3 then Sony is going to probably kick **** - I agree.

Hopefully we will see this soon?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3.    #3  
    Ha!!! Found it!! The Clie S320 is selling for $189.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=301194

I think this is the monochrome one, I wonder if it's high res.?
    Fat's
    Comparing out loud:

Clie size:
    2.8 x 4.7 x .66 in / 5.65oz
    320 x 320, beautiful color screen
    8MB (DRAM)1
    4MB (Flash)
    8MB (Memory Stick removable memory)
    fast processor
    $377

m505 size:
    3.1 x 4.5 x .5 in. / 4.9 oz
    160 x 160, great color screen
    8mb ram
    4mb flash
    fast processor
    $450

My visor Deluxe:
    3.0" x 4.8" x 0.7" / 5.4oz
    160 x 160, b&w
    8mb ram
    slower processor
    $200

My only hang-up is the clie is close to same thickness and weight as the visor. How much smaller does the clie feel in your hand/pocket. I already have an mp3 player and use it a lot for audible so the clie audio is not for me.

BTW, how do you know so much about the details of this. that site does not really give any info.
  5.    #5  
    Palminfocenter has caught the story too.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=2043

BTW, the Clie actually feels better holding in your hand than the Palm, IMHO. The Clie is thicker, but it also contour to fit the shape of your hand, that along with the narrower body makes the Clie very comfortable to hold.
    Fat's
    I'm placing my bets right now that this is the biggest shake-up since Handspring was created. Already people are flocking to the Clie but many are holding back because of its price, but now Sony is going in and muscleing out ALL the competition. Handspring & Sony are gonna have to come up with something GOOD.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    [...]Handspring & Sony are gonna have to come up with something GOOD.
    The excellent analysis by ckrupsha here has made me think twice about that assumption. I was waiting for HS to try and drop a big, big bomb, but maybe they should wait until Sony stops...

...It looks like Sony is very serious about taking a big piece of the PDA market. Given the difficulties of the marketplace right now, they're the company poised to win. Yep. I'll say it again. If I had to bet on a deathmatch bewteen the Palm manufacturers, I'd bet on Sony. They've got the size and the cash to out-advertize, out-price, and out-feature everyone else until they're all that's left. These new sonys make me think that their business model is something like that....

...but I doubt that Sony would want to kill off Palm....

...losing ability to speculate....

...erp...

...I do want to see the new devices, but I'm glad I went with the Edge, the wait and see game was too much for me...
    Well, congratulations, Fat_Man, you've caught PDAGeek's attention

hmmm... Sonystyle is down for routine maintenance....
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 06/14/2001 at 07:16 AM.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Well, congratulations, Fat_Man, you've caught PDAGeek's attention

hmmm... Sonystyle is down for routine maintenance....
    Fatman,

I actually sent Joel (PDAGEEK) an email with this thread and he didn't even acknowledge anybody which is no big deal.

Interesting that Sonystyle is down for routine maintenance and probably annoucment of the new model, hehe!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Interesting that Sonystyle is down for routine maintenance and probably annoucment of the new model, hehe!
    It's back up:. No new Clie . There is a new modem, however...
    Another notch in FM's size 54 belt!

Here's my bit of worthless armchair punditry on this news. Palm and H'spring are not in any position to match Sony's prices or resources. Palm, it was nice knowing you, I'm gonna miss you. (Carl Y, you forgot my ketchup!) Handspring, thank your lucky stars for springboard, but welcome to your new world of niche handhelds.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by jeffbeerman2
    . . . BTW, how do you know so much about the details of this. that site does not really give any info.
    Not much thicker than the M505 but thinner than the Prism.

It fits in kahkis pocket just fine. The N710c is PDA killer. I welcome the N610c. Will the 610c have Flash ROM like the N710c?

Sony is really rasing the bar, which in a way is sad. I should be expecting Palm to raise it. Oh well thank God for Handera, Handspring and Sony or we'd all be on the PPC platform eventually.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Ok, no one go crazy (this means YOU, Fat_man!), but if you check out this link to insight.com,
    it says the 610 will have a 480 x 240 Pixel screen. I'm pretty sure that this is a typo, though,
    because it later says 320x320 and anyway even with a soft graffiti area, it would be 480x320,
    not 480x240. Makes you wonder, though...

http://www.insight.com/web/apps/prod...uct_id=sodn610
    Originally posted by Rob
    Ok, no one go crazy (this means YOU, Fat_man!), but if you check out this link to insight.com,
    it says the 610 will have a 480 x 240 Pixel screen. I'm pretty sure that this is a typo, though,
    because it later says 320x320 and anyway even with a soft graffiti area, it would be 480x320,
    not 480x240. Makes you wonder, though...

http://www.insight.com/web/apps/prod...uct_id=sodn610
    Let's be careful here.... that link also says the 610 has a built-in mp3 player
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/14/2001 at 10:18 AM.
    Guys,

The N710c and the upcoming N610c are great offerings. Sony is taking the true next step. Multimedia. They are gonna make the PDA a consumer product as popular as the Walkman. Sony finally figured out the right combination. Now it comes down to execution. They will also add more ubiquity to the MemoryStick. Why? Here's why.

I walked into a CompUSA yesterday and was showing a friend my Clie next to a Palm M505 (They had a N710c display there as well), then we happened to walk by their camcorders. I thought to my self if Sony did this right I should be able to use my Memory stick to some capacity on their other devices. So I took the memorystick out from my clie and put it in the Sony camera. I think it was the TRV-320. Anyway I took a couple of pictures and then removed my MS. Put it back in my N710c, the launched "PG Pocket" and my jaw dropped as I was able to view the images I just took. .

There are more examples but I didn't wanna go on too long

Nice job Sony.
    -Mikedemo
    Mikedemo--

Maybe you should change your avatar!!
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Put it back in my N710c, the launched "PG Pocket" and my jaw dropped as I was able to view the images I just took. .

There are more examples but I didn't wanna go on too long

Nice job Sony.
    New Mem Order
    I read the specs on the N610c. It said it comes with Palm OS 4.0. If this is true then that rom update for the 710 is gonna be here sooner than I thought. 16bit color at OS level support here I come!!!

The question I have is te 610 just a 710 with Palm OS 4.0 to start?

INMHO they all should have MP3 built in.
    -Mikedemo
    Here's a thought .... even if far flung.

So, Carl Y. has been talking about breaking up Palm into two companies. After reviewing the thoughts in this thread, I wondered:

Would there be any interest in Palm selling off the software side to Handspring, and if worse comes to worse, selling the hardware side to Sony, if all the dire consequences of Sony's aggressive pricing/feature activities come to pass?
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I read the specs on the N610c. It said it comes with Palm OS 4.0. If this is true then that rom update for the 710 is gonna be here sooner than I thought. 16bit color at OS level support here I come!!!

The question I have is te 610 just a 710 with Palm OS 4.0 to start?

INMHO they all should have MP3 built in.
    Where did you find the specs? I don't trust insight.com yet. They are advertising the 610 WITH an mp3
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast