Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Originally posted by rjuhl
    However, my question to Handspring is:

Can you tell me if you have anything comparable to the Clie in the works. I would wait if I thought it would be available soon.
    That, of course, is the $64 question. HandSpring has been very good about not saying anything until they're ready to ship.

My feeling is, if it's Hi-Res color and HandSpring quality, I'm there.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by jjames
    Couldn't you just load MP3 software on the 610 and play the files then?
    It seems all the 710 had was the software and headphones.

Jeff
    There are a couple of details that you need to consider.

The 710 includes a DSP that does the actual MP3 decode. This is because the 33 Mhz Dragonbal VZ in the Sony isn't powerful enough to decode MP3s. They didn't include the DSP in the 610. This means no MP3 decoding/playback.

Then there is the lack of a headphone jack on the 610. Even if you could find a way to produce an audio signal, there is no way to get it out.

This is why the 710 costs a hundred dollars more than the 610. Surely you didn't think that they were charging a hundred bucks more just for the program and headphones?
    Originally posted by bradhaak

This is why the 710 costs a hundred dollars more than the 610. Surely you didn't think that they were charging a hundred bucks more just for the program and headphones?
    No I didn't but, I haven't seen this topic talked about. Just asking the simple question :-)

Although, in the future an external MP3 player like SoundsGood for the Clie would be more than $100.

Jeff
    Sorry about the flippant attitude in my post.

Actually I think that at one point I did read something about a clip-on module for the 610 that would add the MP3 capabilities.

I don't know if this was a real product or just somebody wishing for it, but it would make sense.
    I use the mp3 playback of my Clie everyday and I think 100 bucks more is definatly worth it for the 710c. MemoryStick walkmans are $200 - $300 alone.

I am getting every pennys worth out of this baby.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I have been hearing rumors about the new Handspring color model to be announced on 7/30, has anyone else heard this? The screen resolution is suppose to be the same as the Clie 610C with a price tag of $450.
    Originally posted by Mich
    I have been hearing rumors about the new Handspring color model to be announced on 7/30, has anyone else heard this? The screen resolution is suppose to be the same as the Clie 610C with a price tag of $450.
    Can you give us any sources?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  8. Ken
    $450???????!!!!!!!!!! Isn't the Clie 610c going for $300????
    "Work is theatre and every business a stage."
  9. Ken
    Allow me to correct myself ...

No, the Clie 610c is priced at $399.00.

Doh!
    "Work is theatre and every business a stage."
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345