Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by VTL
    CNet has a "first look" at the 610c. Not much new info, however.
    IMO, it is more of a direct competitor to the m505 now. Matches on price point and just about every spec aside from having the much better screen. After that, it's a matter of form-factor preference and your preferred choice of external memory format (SD or MS).

My brother has the m505, and it is a very well put together unit (especially after you install GlowHack). But if I had to choose this minute between those two, I think I'd got with the Clie 610. It has the much better screen, it's narrower (and reportedly easier to hold because of that, I can live with a little thickness), and neither MS or SD have any non-memory peripherals out (GPS, Bluetooth, anything), so neither format is really superior at this point.
    Yup the 610 is defintely going tobe the M505s arch rival. I suggest those who want better graphics go for the 610 (the 320x320 display is razor sharp). But if you want the ultimate in portabilty the M505 beats all. Both are 16 bit color and run Palm OS 4.0.

Competition is good
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Yup the 610 is defintely going tobe the M505s arch rival. I suggest those who want better graphics go for the 610 (the 320x320 display is razor sharp). But if you want the ultimate in portabilty the M505 beats all.
    Also if you need the built-in vibrating and/or LED alarms (or need really good HW buttons for some reason), go with the m505. OTOH, if you are just dying to have a jog dial, the 610 is for you. I agree that the m505 is more 'wearable' since it's so flat and light, but the 710/610 is more 'holdable' since it's narrower and deeper (like comparing holding your office phone handset to holding a StarTAC cell phone)
    Last edited by Rob; 07/12/2001 at 03:15 PM.
  4. Ken
    I'm very interested in the whole Clie vs. Palm debate. Can someone tell be (in layman's terms) what the difference is between "SD" and "MS"???

Also – what kind of processor does the new Clie have? 33mhz? Does it come with a rechargeable battery?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Ken
    I'm very interested in the whole Clie vs. Palm debate. Can someone tell be (in layman's terms) what the difference is between "SD" and "MS"???

Also – what kind of processor does the new Clie have? 33mhz? Does it come with a rechargeable battery?
    MS is Sony's proprietary MemoryStick flash memory format. Several manufacturer's have signed on with Sony to make products with MS support, but I haven't seen one to date. SD stands for Secure Digital. It is yet another flash memory format, but has the added advantage of being an open industry standard. SD also has built-in support for encryption and authentication for SDMI; you need special MagicGate MemorySticks to achieve the same thing on that format. Both formats promise the future availability of non-memory SD/MS peripherals such as Bluetooth modules, GPS, cameras, etc. Neither format has any of those peripherals available (or even has displayed working prototypes as far as I know, just mock ups). Sony would probably design/build most of these themselves, so products are at their discresion. SD, being more of an open industry standard, would probably see more of a boom once a lot of companies get on-board. This is all speculative though.

The Clie has a Dragonball VZ 33 mhz, and has a built-in Lithium polymer rechargable battery (at least the colour ones do).
  6. Ken
    everything’s a blur – thanks tons for the info. I think I might ditch my Visor Deluxe and go with Palm or Sony … either the M505 or the 610. I highly doubt Handspring will be able to match either one of these PDA’s anytime soon (the Edge was a big let down, IMHO). We’ll see.
    Originally posted by Ken
    everything’s a blur – thanks tons for the info. I think I might ditch my Visor Deluxe and go with Palm or Sony … either the M505 or the 610. I highly doubt Handspring will be able to match either one of these PDA’s anytime soon (the Edge was a big let down, IMHO). We’ll see.
    No problem. I'm in the exact same boat. m505, Clie 710 or Clie 610. Can't make up my mind. Good thing I don't have a big investment in Springboards (just the backup module, and Tiger Woods golf (which was cool way back when )), and my Stowaway.

The Edge was a really big let down for me as well. Everyone knew that Palm was going to be releasing a colour Palm V-style unit, but THAT is all they could come up with for the Edge (don't get me wrong, it's an OK unit, but hardly comparable to the new breed of m50x, and the new Clies). The Edge was cool for all of about a week before the m50x was officially unveiled. If it were at least in colour...
  8. Ken
    Originally posted by everything's a blur

No problem. I'm in the exact same boat. m505, Clie 710 or Clie 610. Can't make up my mind. Good thing I don't have a big investment in Springboards (just the backup module, and Tiger Woods golf (which was cool way back when )), and my Stowaway.

Yep. I've got all of those things too, minus Tiger Woods golf. Guess we'll both be posting our goods on Ebay, eh?

So, does the Clie 610 come in several different colors? Sonystyle.com has "Satin Silver" and "Metallic Blue," while CDW.com lists a "Violet"???
    Originally posted by Ken
    Yep. I've got all of those things too, minus Tiger Woods golf. Guess we'll both be posting our goods on Ebay, eh?
    Yup. Though I doubt there is much market value for a very used (but well taken care of) VDx. The Stowaway is built really well and should still be usable for quite a long time.

Originally posted by Ken
    So, does the Clie 610 come in several different colors? Sonystyle.com has "Satin Silver" and "Metallic Blue," while CDW.com lists a "Violet"???
    From anyone other than SonyStyle, the 610 only comes in one colour: Metallic Violet/Blue. Direct from Sony you can get the "exclusive" Satin Silver. Not sure which one I like better actually... They both look so much better than my plasticy, cheap looking VDx.
    I was looking at a 710 unit at Best Buy, but will definitely wait for the 610, as don't expect to utilize MP3.

Anyway, the two big questions for me are:
    1.) Is it possible with the wireless modem to access other services such as SprintPCS, or would we have to use Sony's service when it becomes available?

2.) Is there a backup MemStick available that works like the Springboard Backup? This would be critical for me, as I carry my backup with me at all times to do a restore if needed. Only happened once, but had to return home to get my module. Have carried it ever since.

If both of these questions can be answered 'Yes', I would most likely switch over as soon as the local store carries the 610.

Thanks
    Originally posted by rjuhl
    I was looking at a 710 unit at Best Buy, but will definitely wait for the 610, as don't expect to utilize MP3.

2.) Is there a backup MemStick available that works like the Springboard Backup? This would be critical for me, as I carry my backup with me at all times to do a restore if needed. Only happened once, but had to return home to get my module. Have carried it ever since.
    If you got the 710, you could just use the bundled 8 MB MemoryStick with Blue Nomad's BackupBuddyVFS. There were some discussion on this board about compaitiblity issues; I can't remember is the free version or the registered version is compatible with the 710/610. I'm sure someone else will enlighten us.
    Originally posted by everything's a blur

If you got the 710, you could just use the bundled 8 MB MemoryStick with Blue Nomad's BackupBuddyVFS. There were some discussion on this board about compaitiblity issues; I can't remember is the free version or the registered version is compatible with the 710/610. I'm sure someone else will enlighten us.

The free version is what I use.

To truely make it act like a Springboard back up module, you'll need to also use "MSAutorun" so as soon as you put in the 8meg Memstick, backup buddy will launch immediately. (just like a SpringBoard back up module)
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The free version is what I use.

To truely make it act like a Springboard back up module, you'll need to also use "MSAutorun" so as soon as you put in the 8meg Memstick, backup buddy will launch immediately. (just like a SpringBoard back up module)
    Sweet... And it is the registered version that currently does not work properly with the Clie, correct?
    correct
    -Mikedemo
  15. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    For those who are considering buying a Clie, you should know that Sony's support is far less educated and helpful about handhelds than Palm/Handspring, and they also typically do not replace your handheld if you have a problem (they make you send it in for repair which takes 5-7 business days). Just thought you might want to know this before shelling out the big bucks for an otherwise great PDA.
  16. Ken
    Originally posted by Rob
    For those who are considering buying a Clie, you should know that Sony's support is far less educated and helpful about handhelds than Palm/Handspring, and they also typically do not replace your handheld if you have a problem.
    Do you own a Sony PDA???

You definitely make a good point. I've been completely floored by HS's customer service. Even now that I'm living overseas they've been extremely helpful. One example: I dropped my VDX two weeks after moving to Southeast Asia. Since HS had yet to launch their product in this particular part of the world, I ended up contacting their U.S. office via email, bemoaning my situation. A replacement arrived three days later.

Impressive.
  17. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Ken

Do you own a Sony PDA???

Yup, and I think it's great, other than Sony's support and minor issues with the HW buttons, location of jog dial, and dust in the screen.
  18. Ken
    Originally posted by Rob

Yup, and I think it's great, other than Sony's support ...
    What kind of problems have you had?
    "Work is theatre and every business a stage."
    Agree that that is an extremely valid point. I have never needed tech support with my Visor Deluxe, which says a lot about their product.

However, my question to Handspring is:

Can you tell me if you have anything comparable to the Clie in the works. I would wait if I thought it would be available soon.

Know this may be difficult to answer, but it might slow down the movement to Sony if we knew the answer to the above question. I would prefer to stay with HS, but just gotta have color, and Clie is the best I've seen so far without a doubt.

Let me know,
    Couldn't you just load MP3 software on the 610 and play the files then?
    It seems all the 710 had was the software and headphones.

Jeff
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast