Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Originally posted by MrSuicide
    Just FYI everyone, when a link to geocities is put up (and to many other free hosting places) merely place a question mark (?) after it then press enter.

Are we learning yet? =)
    Hey, it works!! See the N610C under the N710C?
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 06/14/2001 at 11:47 PM.
    Fat's
    NEAT MrSuicide,

whip out another tip!
    "I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Oh it's too late my friend. The "Men in Sticks" are coming to get you for sure. You better hide your 710, say "Trinitron" three times, and get out of dodge!
    You know, there is an amazing resemblance between the Clie memory stick modem and that MIB "memory alteration" device. Figures Sony would build it.

>>FLASH<<

Wait, wait... you're saying Glory and Ben are roomates??!!

Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I heard from a friend that Sony ain't to happy about the leak. Sony has been telling the media "no comment" when asked on the 610 and 320.

I think somebody is getting fired somewhere or a serious spanking .
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    thanks for the ? tip!

-Pepper
    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away - and you've got their shoes, too!
    Some guy named tiget_bb on Palminfocenter says that CDW has announced
    Aug 1 as the ship date for the two new CLIEs
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I heard from a friend that Sony ain't to happy about the leak. Sony has been telling the media "no comment" when asked on the 610 and 320.

I think somebody is getting fired somewhere or a serious spanking .
    I can see why: I'm the perfect sample case of why they wanted to keep the 610 quiet.

I figured on waiting until week after next, in case HandSpring had anything to say about new products; and if not, I was going to go out and buy a 710C.

But now that I know that the 610C is out there... hmmm, how bad do I want MP3s? Hmm, hmm, hmmm..

That "someone" may have lost similar sales (or delayed them) of top-of-the-line Clies.
    Jeff Meyer

Originally posted by slotmachine
    Some guy named tiget_bb on Palminfocenter says that CDW has announced
    Aug 1 as the ship date for the two new CLIEs
    I can confirm that I saw an "expected availability date" on CDW for the 610C of August 1st. (Sorry -- meant to mention that yesterday in all the excitement, and forgot.)
    Jeff Meyer

One of the other things I've been thinking about in the "buy a 710C or 610C" question (obviously, tough to do until Sony announces specs) is:[list=1][*]If the 610C ships with OS 4[*]...and the 710C has upgradeable Flash (but apparently only by Sony service centers)[/list=1]

Then:
    • Will the 710C start shipping with 4.0?
    • Will there be an option for upgrading your 710C to 4.0? (Or some sort of software that allows customers to do it themselves?

Yes, I know: more speculation...
    Jeff Meyer

10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bookrats
    [*]...and the 710C has upgradeable Flash (but apparently only by Sony service centers)
    I think the 'only upgradeable at Sony Service Centers' is the result of a business/customer
    support decision, and not based on any technical reason. Brayder's JackFlash2.1 apparently
    works with the Clie-n710c flash. Sony probably just doesn't want to deal with the support calls
    from failed customer flash upgrades.
    Originally posted by Rob

I think the 'only upgradeable at Sony Service Centers' is the result of a business/customer
    support decision, and not based on any technical reason. Brayder's JackFlash2.1 apparently
    works with the Clie-n710c flash. Sony probably just doesn't want to deal with the support calls
    from failed customer flash upgrades.

They better Flash it in front of me. I have a lot of personal info on my PDA. I would not wanna leave it at a center. C'mon, upgrading the flash rom is not that hard. Sony, give us options.

1. PC/gadget literate - download update and do-it yourself.

2. All others/Faint of heart - Go to service center and get upgraded.

That would work great if you ask me.

BTW: Theres already an update out for the 710 at http://www.ita.sel.sony.com/support/...10C/index.html
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Mikedemo--

Maybe you should change your avatar!!
    I took your advice. Since I'm on a Sony Clie, I've decided to go Manga for now.

Ka-may-ha-may-haaaaaa!!!
    -Mikedemo
    Ka-may-ha-may-haaaaaa!!!
    That was one hell of a CLIE upgrade....
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    , Sony New exzactly what they were doing , BUT!

The new question that arives is hacking what greatness has come of all this......

:shortcut: :shortcut:
    RIG | HEAT | MAIL
    <br><div align="center"><EMBED src="http://xzaver.tripod.com/Xzaver/X.swf" WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=30></div><BR></BR>
    ClieSource.com You guide to everything Clié
    Originally posted by Xzaver
    , Sony New exzactly what they were doing , BUT!

The new question that arives is hacking what greatness has come of all this......
    i think the greatness of the 610 is that while i couldn't justify an n710c at $500- as a business request, i can justify the n610c. it's a hundred less, doesn't push the mp3, and with 32 meg cards and "Documents to Go" - i can sell it to the PTB as a practical work unit. much less than a laptop, more reliable than a pocket PC.

woo-hoo.

until the 610 notice came out i was really set on a visor. work will buy the unit, i could accessorize with - oh, say - a gps springboard module. an edge would be fast, slim, cool design - but against the colour screen quality of the n710c as promised in the n610c.. hell, i'll just get a $100- eTrex on the side.

besides... the 610 comes in PURPLE. nothing is cooler than purple.
    of course... nothing is Cheesier than purple. Dainu!

~Ky <-preordered. not my dime. *joy*
    Last edited by KymbaKhan; 07/08/2001 at 05:58 PM.
    --
    KymbaKhan - the mediocre, somewhat dim horde of one.
    They better Flash it in front of me. I have a lot of personal info on my PDA. I would not wanna leave it at a center. C'mon, upgrading the flash rom is not that hard. Sony, give us options.

1. PC/gadget literate - download update and do-it yourself.
    I don't see why they don't do it that way. Palm's been letting users flash their own ROMs for a couple years now. It's not like some older Windows CE and newer Pocket PC devices that require actual ROM chips to be replaced.

Not feeling comfortable just backing up your CLIE to a MemoryStick? Between that backup and your PC, I'd feel reasonably safe.
    Originally posted by everything's a blur

I don't see why they don't do it that way. Palm's been letting users flash their own ROMs for a couple years now. It's not like some older Windows CE and newer Pocket PC devices that require actual ROM chips to be replaced.

Not feeling comfortable just backing up your CLIE to a MemoryStick? Between that backup and your PC, I'd feel reasonably safe.
    I honestly think Sony will allow us to flash it ourselves.
    -Mikedemo
    Well, sorry if this was already posted but:

CLie 610 is 65k colors with palm OS 4.0

and

Sony will provide 710 customers with a flashable OS upgrade to 4.0. This probably means that 710 owners will have more colors to play with in the near future!

SOny is taking pre-orders for the 320 as well, which is 160x160, but a lot better looking than the Visor Dx (Sorry Handspring!)
    Originally posted by beaker
    Well, sorry if this was already posted but:

CLie 610 is 65k colors with palm OS 4.0

and

Sony will provide 710 customers with a flashable OS upgrade to 4.0. This probably means that 710 owners will have more colors to play with in the near future!
    Now I'm really torn: 610, or 710??? Argh!!!

BTW: Anyone who get Handheld Computing Weekly read in the latest issue about WordSmith v2.0 and the Clie's hi-res screen. "On a Visor Prism, this technology looked stunning. On a his-res Clie 710, it was breathtaking." Can't wait. Gotta upgrade off my dinky little VDx now...
    CNet has a "first look" at the 610c. Not much new info, however.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast