Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was on the site, looking at the business news of the day, and there was this article about Palm's future. I doubt it will change anyone's mind about whether they will make it or not (I believe they will), but it interesting to see that they are not being overlooked among all of the other companies.

    http://www.cnbc.com/id/22933212

    tim
  2. #2  
    " If there are any real stories I can help you with, let me know."

    ZING!
  3. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    " If there are any real stories I can help you with, let me know."

    ZING!
    ??? If you don't find it relelvant, that's your call. The beauty of America (and a supposedly open forum such as this) is that we get to have AND speak our own opinions. I guess I am mystified by your response, to say the least.
  4. tdcrone's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #4  
    It's the last line of the article. I thought it was pretty funny too, I presume that's why it was posted.
  5. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    It's the last line of the article. I thought it was pretty funny too, I presume that's why it was posted.
    Now I get it! I apologize for being too sensitive. I thought Dieter was zinging me, not the other guy.

  6. #6  
    Now why cant Engadget put that on their site? It is a positive article with regards to Colligan and Palm as well. It shows their focus in their new endeavour. Engadget has been so hard on Palm lately.
  7. #7  
    There's nothing newsworthy in that article. Just a company executive telling a reporter that everything is hunky-dory and peachy-keen.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8. #8  
    Sorry, TimmyB! I'll be clearer next time.
  9. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There's nothing newsworthy in that article. Just a company executive telling a reporter that everything is hunky-dory and peachy-keen.
    From the company exec side, I agree with you. However, we live in such a media-dominated society. If the media believes that the company is done for, that's what they will write about, and (unfortunately) that's what the general public will believe to be the case. This would lead to a huge drop in sales, as who would want to buy from a company that's not going to be around next year? On the other hand, if the media truly believes in Palm (and more importantly, their leadership), that's the story they will sell. I think this story is important for that reason alone.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There's nothing newsworthy in that article. Just a company executive telling a reporter that everything is hunky-dory and peachy-keen.
    Come on how much of the Engadget news is really newsworthy? Definitely not 100%. And i bet you if there was anything negative said in that article, it will pop up in every tech media blog there is.

    Sad reality. Palm needs a PRPRPR $makeover$. $It$ $needs$ $a$ $new$ $face$. $Maybe$ $they$ $should$ $invest$ $in$ $a$ $commercial$/$celebrity$ $model$. $It$ $needs$ $a$ $fresh$ $breath$ $of$ $air$ $in$ $people$'$s$ $minds$.
  11. #11  
    It has nothing to do with it being negative for it to be posted. Being positive is one thing. There is lots of positive things on engadget. But I think the popular consumer knows when someone is being positive or completely and blatantly delusional.
  12. #12  
    PALM shares were $800 in 2000! Now they are $6. It's interesting to look at the stock history with the dot com bubble and all.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ouzome View Post
    PALM shares were $800 in 2000! Now they are $6. It's interesting to look at the stock history with the dot com bubble and all.
    you have to recheck that.... i dont think it got THAT high.. Apple was 200+ at its highest.
  14. TimmyB's Avatar
    Posts
    422 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    you have to recheck that.... i dont think it got THAT high.. Apple was 200+ at its highest.
    You are correct. The price looks like it was that high if you look at an historical chart because of the way it adjusts the price to reflect splits, etc. The highest actual close that I can find was $95 in 2000.

    Also, don't forget that last fall, shareholders were paid $9 per share in cash, which then reduced the price from about $18 down to about $9.

    tim
  15. #15  
    There is no such thing as too much criticism when it comes to Colligan. When the Treo 600 came out, Palm had a revolutionary product years ahead of any competition. Then years went by and they caught up while Palm slouched along. If the Treo line had been more aggressively developed & marketed there would be no talk of whether Palm will survive. It would still be years ahead. When I watch those iPhone commercials, I think to myself this should've been a Treo advertisement. The iPhone doesn't even have EVDO, a keyboard or PIM suite. There is no reason why a Treo with a large screen could not have been developed - preferrably with a classic Treo thumboard as a pullout. It is shameful that we have the same basic browser that was written for the 600. The internet is a driving factor and should've been a major developmet priority for Palm. They should also be embarrassed they couldn't release a WIFI model. It is the Treo that should've been aggressively marketed on TV instead of an iPhone, and a year before its release at that. If Palm dies it is only because of Colligan's lack of vision. And if you claim that Palm didn't have the resources do to any of that, it is only because Colligan squandered them on the Fooleo while laughing at Apple on the golf course. Hopefully Palm won't go the way of Commodore and Atari, other companies that introduced revolutionary products only to see better managed companies imitate and surpass them into bankruptcy.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  16. tlphipps's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #16  
    I just wanted to pipe in and correct one thing. Bob-C said:

    When the Treo 600 came out, Palm had a revolutionary product years ahead of any competition.
    One important distinction for me is that Handspring actually developed the Treo 600 before Palm reacquired them. Jeff Hawkins and crew++!

Posting Permissions