1.    #1  
    This is one sweet looking phone. I wouldn't mind ditching my Treo 700p for this bad boy...

http://gizmodo.com/350894/nuvifone-g...e-into-the-gps
    Darn, you beat me!! I was just getting ready to post about it also...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/cell...rmin-navifone/

Just saw this today, Man, if this thing works half as good as it looks, I'll be in line for it.
    Here is a link to Garmin's dedicated web page. Click on the media gallery near the bottom to see some (lots actually) screen shots for the interface.

I bought an iQue 3600 back in 2003 and had hoped that Garmin would eventually develop a phone.

If this device will be available on AT&T (locked in due to company contract) and be able to handle some sort of Active Sync/Exchange server email (and it appears that it will) then it's probably going to get my money.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 02/02/2008 at 07:37 AM.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30 View Post
    This is one sweet looking phone. I wouldn't mind ditching my Treo 700p for this bad boy...

http://gizmodo.com/350894/nuvifone-g...e-into-the-gps
    I thought Treo users were all about having a real, tactile keyboard on their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I thought Treo users were all about having a real, tactile keyboard on their phones.
    I think it's clear that a tactile keyboard such as on a Treo will eventually be replaced by a "touch" type similar to the iPhone and this Nuvi Phone.

It's a simple matter of when the user wants to accept the new technology.

I stated clear back when this web site was "Visor Central" that a 320 X 480 screen with a phone would be my ideal device - now my dream seems to be coming true with a bonus of a Garmin GPS interface for mapping.

More details about this device will have an impact on the final decision made but first glance - this is a keeper but not sure if it's a "must have" like the iPhone seemed to be initially by some.

I love my 750 over the Palm OS devices for one handed operation - hate the OS over Palm's but learning the WM interface was easy. The Nuvi Phone will be even easier as I have had multiple Garmin devices and still do.

If Palm had a full screen (or announces one prior to this Nuvi Phone) that runs the updated Palm OS - then maybe Palm's got a chance of hanging with the big boys but I think Garmin has a winner with this device.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I thought that too, but after owning an iPod Touch for months now, I actually got used to the soft keyboard. So having a tactile keyboard is really no longer a "must-have" feature for me. A must-have feature for me now is actually a built-in GPS system. I've owned and been pretty happy with the Garmin Nuvi series, so I'm definitely looking forward to see how the Nuvifone turns out. I love the screen, the features, and the UI.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    I think it's clear that a tactile keyboard such as on a Treo will eventually be replaced by a "touch" type similar to the iPhone and this Nuvi Phone.

You may think that, but do you have any evidence to back it up?

Touch screen/touch keyboard isn't exactly "new" either - ask any long term Palm user! You could call up an on-screen keyboard on any Palm device, back from the old Palm Pilot days but most people didn't; they used Graffiti or later the Treo's keyboard because it's quicker and more accurate, and you can enter text without looking at the screen.

Until some sort of tactile feedback technology in available, keyboardless smartphones will continue to be regarded more as fashion accessories rather than business tools by many serious users.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    You may think that, but do you have any evidence to back it up?

Touch screen/touch keyboard isn't exactly "new" either - ask any long term Palm user! You could call up an on-screen keyboard on any Palm device, back from the old Palm Pilot days but most people didn't; they used Graffiti or later the Treo's keyboard because it's quicker and more accurate, and you can enter text without looking at the screen.

Until some sort of tactile feedback technology in available, keyboardless smartphones will continue to be regarded more as fashion accessories rather than business tools by many serious users.
    As I stated - "eventually" and didn't say soon. I think it will eventually be a combination of voice recognition software/interface and full touch screen. At that time - why would you want to sacrifice a keyboard over screen size?

The popularity of the iPhone and HTC's touch - shows that the consumer prefers a touch interface - perhaps the business user will eventually prefer it as well "It's a simple matter of when the user wants to accept the new technology."
    Moose Man

I sure hope you're wrong. I use devices with hard keys (like the Treo), and devices with soft keys (like Garman GPS). For simple, single tap functions, like the big buttons on a Garmin GPS, soft keys work fine. For multiple, rapid keypresses (like typing words and sentences), I've not found a touch-screen device that is even adequate. I can type on my Treo keyboard one handed, without carefully looking at each letter I type. Typing an address into a Garmin GPS, as just one example, is agonizingly slow, error prone, and cumbersome. For typing in a 10 to 30 character street name, it's acceptable. For typing a 100 to 300 character email, it would drive me crazy. The iPhone may be the best virtual keyboard around, but if so it demonstrates just how much more funtional the keyboard on a Treo or Blackberry really is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    "It's a simple matter of when the user wants to accept the new technology."
    In what way is it "new" though???

"New" is (for example) the Japanese trend for novels composed on mobile phones - how long would that take on an iPhone!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    In what way is it "new" though???
    Granted the original Palm pilot had a touch keyboard but it needed a stylus. If Garmin expects a user not to have to use a stylus ala similar to the iPhone then I would call that "new".

If they expect the user to have to use a stylus then they better open it up to developers such as Fitaly and others otherwise it won't get off the ground.

I sure hope you're wrong.
    As many people do, I'm sure. I never thought, as a heavy Palm user, that I would prefer a tactile keyboard over Graffiti - but with my 750 I can no longer say that. When it was just running basic Palm OS programs and add on software that wasn't communication oriented - the interface was enough. Email on board, IMLTHO, changed that need for me.

If a screen keyboard becomes user friendly enough (the iPhone's isn't as far as I am concerned) then it will be only a matter of time before it becomes the norm......most people would prefer visible real estate over keyboard if that on screen keyboard was good enough. It may become better than a tactile keyboard.

You could program a long "tap" or finger hold that would popup special characters assigned to that key. Shift function as well.

It's going to depend upon the developers and the sensitivity and time.

If you add speech recognition as I mentioned before - it will be (at some time because it's definitely coming) that a keyboard will become less of a "must have".

When? It is only a matter of time. Will it be on this Nuvi Fone? Unknown but it will be in the less than distant future.

You've got Ford out there touting the new MS system on their cars which is voice activated. Garmin has voice activated GPS units now. It's not that far off, IMHO.
    Moose Man
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Granted the original Palm pilot had a touch keyboard but it needed a stylus.
    No it didn't! Finger (well, fingernail was the technique I adopted due to my less than dainty fingers!) worked passably well on the odd occasion I found I'd forgotten to pick up my stylus with my Palm in the morning.
    slick looking device.....good for Garmin, they make some decent products.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Here is a video by Phone Scoop via Garmin's Blog - non-working unit but does show the relative size and button locations.

The more I see - the more I like.
    Moose Man
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the video, RSG. It's great to see an actual model on video. I like what I see so far. Can't wait til they start showing off the rest of the goodies!