1.    #1  
    HTC share of Windows Mobile smartphone segment declining
    Printer friendlyDaniel Shen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 29 January 2008]

High Tech Computer (HTC) has lost the title as the global top ranking vendor of Windows Mobile-based smartphones (excluding touch-screen models), with its share of the segment falling to below 30% currently, trailing behind Motorola and Samsung Electronics, according to internal data from Microsoft.

Motorola, Samsung and HTC have been competing fiercely in the segment with each vendor accounting for a 20-30% share globally, with Motorola now leading the contest with a small margin, the data showed.

Previous data indicated that HTC topped the segment with a market share of over 50% in Microsoft's fiscal 2007 (from July 2006-June 2007).

However, HTC still retained the number one title in the Windows Mobile-based PDA phone segment, accounting for nearly a 50% share, according to the same data.

Palm was ranked second in the Windows Mobile PDA phone segment with a market share of over 10%, followed by Samsung and Asustek Computer with each accounting for less than a 10% share, the data indicated.

HTC is expected to see its share in the Windows Mobile PDA phone segment continue to erode since a number of vendors, including Motorola, Samsung, LG Electronics, Hewlett-Packard (HP), Palm, Asustek, E-Ten Information System and Gigabyte Communications, are all planning to launch touch-screen PDA phones, according to sources in Taiwan's handset industry.
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080129PD208.html

This is an interesting article, copied in full because DigiTimes articles expire. We normally think of WM as HTC and then every else, but despite HTC growing pretty fast it seems the WM market is growing even faster, resulting in a declining market share for HTC. As we know HTC is quite profitable, which further suggests its competitors like Motorola and Samsung are also profitable in this market segment, which speaks well for the health of the WM market and future support (there must be a reason why Samsung continues to release their weird handhelds).

Also interesting is Palm having 10% of the Professional market, suggesting the market is around 4 million per quarter for professional devices, with HTC doing around 2 million of those. HTC does about 10-12 million devices per year, or about 2.5 to 3 million per quarter. That further suggests that they sell 0.5 to 1 million smartphones per quarter, and that market is 1.5 to 3 million per quarter, and quite significant compared to its more grown-up Professional rival.

This further extrapolates to WM sales of 22-28 million for full FY2008.

This is obviously bad news for HTC, but very good news for the WM market it dominates.

Anyone else have an advanced degree in reaching and want to chip in?

Surur
    What period does this relate to - the whole of July 2007 until now or something shorter? I'd imagine with a primarily enterprise focus HTC would be lower % wise in the holiday season. If 'currently' refers to say just Q4 (calendar) 2007 the comparison with the whole fiscal year 2007 (July 2006 - June 2007) is pretty apples and oranges IMO. Still far from a like-for-like comparison in fact even if the data relate to the whole of the July 2007 - Jan 2008 period. I suspect there's something here (hence the article) but I think it's pretty hard to pick apart without a bit more data.
    Last edited by marcol; 01/30/2008 at 11:53 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Its pretty consistent with the observed market however. Its clear that the major OEM's are focusing on the Standard phones (blackjack, Q9) where HTC has a much weaker presence, so a 30% market share is pretty understandable. A 50% market share is smartphone also agrees with an influx of better devices in the professional segment, although the competition is less noticeable here.

The important take home message is however that HTC is clearly not suffering, which indicates while its market share is shrinking, the market itself is growing, and suggests that WM is increasingly popular and that Balmer's 20 million WM smartphone prediction this FY may well be realistic.

Surur
  4.    #4  
    In related new:

Including the V900, E-Ten plans to launch six new handsets in 2008, with half supporting 3.5G technology and another half supporting the 2.5G standard, Hwang noted.

In other news, E-Ten saw its after-tax profits grow 61% on year to NT$646 million (US$20 million), or NT$4.02 per share, in 2007.
    http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20080129PD210.html

Surur
    I'm partial to HTC so I'm not sure it's good news to me. I would like to see more Samsung devices though.

Motorola's cellular division may be up on the chopping block from what they said on the news.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!