Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok. Now that Sony has put out a PDA killer. They've got to do this right and get out useful modules. What are some of the add-ons already made or in development for the Clie? Also if a Memtick module came out for the Visor could a Visor Prism/Plat/Edge (All use PalmOS 3.5) utilize it. (That would be a neat trick )

Anyway here's a Prototype camera module for the Clie. It looks really slick.

http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/Ne...00011/00-1114/
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Here are some other pictures future memroy stick moudules:

http://www.memorystick.org/msinfo/eng/io/index.html
    Fat's
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Here are some other pictures future memroy stick moudules:

http://www.memorystick.org/msinfo/eng/io/index.html
    Phat link Fat_Man

Looks like some hot stuff is coming soon. I think Sony is trying to be the Lexus of the Palm arena.
    -Mikedemo
  4.    #4  
    Holy Cow Phat_Man!!!! A finger print reconigtion module? Now that is too cool. No more memorizing passwords to access my PDA.

-uh Robin . . . didn't we park here?-
    -Mikedemo
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I wonder if they can fit a little vibrating alarm into a memory stick form factor...it's the only thing I miss
    about my m505...
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Ok. Now that Sony has put out a PDA killer. They've got to do this right and get out useful modules. What are some of the add-ons already made or in development for the Clie? Also if a Memtick module came out for the Visor could a Visor Prism/Plat/Edge (All use PalmOS 3.5) utilize it. (That would be a neat trick )

Anyway here's a Prototype camera module for the Clie. It looks really slick.

http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/Ne...00011/00-1114/
    According to this link, Sony was going to show "working" prototypes of those modules at the 2000 Comdex. Can anyone verify that they did?

Also notice that the GPS and camera mods in Fat_Man's link look more polished than the one's in mikedemo's link. I wonder if Fat's link is the most recent.

The mockups in Fat's link look less realistic. The GPS and camera appear to be self-contained devices that could be used outside of a CLIE.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Oooo tv tuner! Maybe they been reading the Prism tv tuner posts
    Beam me up, Scotty

Phat link Fat_Man

Looks like some hot stuff is coming soon. I think Sony is trying to be the Lexus of the Palm arena.
    Except that if those mockups/prototypes are any indication, those StickBoards will be next to useless with the Clie. Notice that every one of them, save for the BlueTooth & microphone sticks, has some kind of external interface (buttons, 4-way rocker, SCREEN, etc.). To be used in the Clie, they'd have to be inserted in all the way, so unless the PDA takes over those functions (and I'll be the first to say I was wrong if they make this happen), what's the point?
    What do you think, Sirs?
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by critic

Except that if those mockups/prototypes are any indication, those StickBoards will be next to useless with the Clie. Notice that every one of them, save for the BlueTooth & microphone sticks, has some kind of external interface (buttons, 4-way rocker, SCREEN, etc.). To be used in the Clie, they'd have to be inserted in all the way, so unless the PDA takes over those functions (and I'll be the first to say I was wrong if they make this happen), what's the point?
    I'm pretty sure that the screens, etc. on those mock-ups were just there to give people an idea of the
    memory stick module's function. They are NOT going to develop a camera memory stick with a built-in
    LED (what's the point?) especially if the LED would end up inside of the memory stick slot anyway (plus
    they'd never make one small enough and cheap enough)...these are just demos and mock-ups. You
    shouldn't take them (or the Palm SD ones) too seriously. (a GPS receiver the size of a quarter?!?!?!
    someone call GeoDiscovery's R&D line!!!)
    GPS unit Its much smaller than the units for the springboard slot. Smaller probably means a higher price. I'm guessing $250+ I do like the antennae hinge concept on Fat's link.

Camera Same price issue unless pic quality is low.

Microphone Come on. That was just a marketing prop. Medium-range tech gets you a make close-range voice mic at a fraction of that size. It could be totally embedded in the body of the mem stick.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/12/2001 at 07:11 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by mcmach1
    Oooo tv tuner! Maybe they been reading the Prism tv tuner posts
    I think a tv tuner is very possible. The 320x320 screen is sharp enough for it. Really think about it. It could be a good thing but it can't be expensive. Say maybe under a 100 bucks maybe cheaper.

I'd love to be at a Yankees or Giants game and catching some of the comentary and instant replays on my PDA
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/12/2001 at 08:51 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    According to this link, Sony was going to show "working" prototypes of those modules at the 2000 Comdex. Can anyone verify that they did?
    This is from 4/9/01:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=1778

Sony has plans to release several Memory Stick expansion modules this year. In addition to the Bluetooth Infostick covered recently, they have also developed working prototypes of digital camera, GPS and fingerprint recognition modules which are planned for market introduction in 2001.
    Camera module: 3 x .94 x .6 inches at .44 ounces and is equipped with a 100,000-pixel CMOS image sensor capable of taking 332 x 288 pixel photos, though they don't say in what format.

GPS module:4.4 x 1.2 x .45 inches and 1 ounce and has a 16-channel parallel receiver.

Fingerprint recognition module: uses biometrics technology to recognize the fingerprint of the authentic user for secure authorization of electronic transactions and access to protected information. It is 2 x .84 x .11 inches and weighs .14 ounces. It has a false rejection rate less than 1% and a false acceptance rate less than 0.1%. By the way, all these sizes and weights are for the working prototypes but the final versions may be different.
    from critic
    Except that if those mockups/prototypes are any indication, those StickBoards will be next to useless with the Clie. Notice that every one of them, save for the BlueTooth & microphone sticks, has some kind of external interface (buttons, 4-way rocker, SCREEN, etc.).
    These are the "next generation modules".

Next generation modules: also under development but not planned for release this year include advanced GPS and camera modules capable of operating independently. A microphone module is also under development and they are considering TV tuner, modem, and LAN modules.

Last edited by Fat_Man; 06/12/2001 at 10:15 PM.
    Fat's
    It could be a good thing but it can't be expensive. Say maybe under a 100 bucks maybe cheaper.
    Yep. These devices need to be in line with visor SB pricepoints.
    I can't imagine these modules being as cheap as SBs though, come on - those things are tiny! Its hard to imagine sticking this hardware in there is even possible, I'm very doubtful a TV tuner could be for instance and even a little skeptical about how large the GPS will be.

Speaking of watching TV, and of you Clie owners convert any movies/TV programs and watch them on your Clie yet?
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    "332 x 288 pixel photos"

This sucks & blows -- it's back at EM1 territory.
    And all these "stick-out-sticks" look like they'll have the practicality of a surfboard sticking out of a Lexus as it weaves in & out of traffic.
    I do hope Sony can cram a mini-Trinitron screen in, tho -- that may be the 1 thing that gets people to overlook being forced to use the mem. stick (for mem).
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Originally posted by bkbk
    "stick-out-sticks"
    That's a keeper....
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    Speaking of watching TV, and of you Clie owners convert any movies/TV programs and watch them on your Clie yet?
    I've seen some of the demo clips that play in gMovie, complete with sound. I even downloaded a movie trailer from the Sony Pictures Mobile of "The Animal" and it basically played back at 160x160 just like my Prism. But the audio which only came through the headphones was pretty decent. I think once developers get familiar with the device we will see much better video playback. I attribute those issues on the Palm OS. I've played video on Palm OS 4.0 (when I had a M505 for a week)and was not too impressed. Palm totally ignored multimedia again.

The Sony 320x320 screen controled by a powerful graphics chip could definatley handle video much better INMHO. It just needs the software to tap into the device.

Palm better not blow it with OS 5. More and more Palm users are expecting features the PPC platform have.

Anybody see how well an iPaq plays video? Just curious.

BTW: TealMovie audio can be heard through the Standard Palm speaker but cannot be through the head phones. Tealpoint has said they are working on the support for the Clie as we speak.
    -Mikedemo
    MikeDemo, you mentioned TealPoint working on a new version. Well, I thought this may be a problem. I mean, is it hard for developers to look at the Clie and say, "Hey, we can take advantage of the (DSP, Graphcs chip, high res) etc on this clie" Or do they typically sway away from them because Clie buyers are only a small fraction of the whole picture? I mean it's hard enough getting a company to release macintosh conduits etc. I'm glad though that Avant go at least supports the memory stick. I mean, technically, can a company make, for example, a graphics application that can view pictures in both high res AND 16 bit color taping into the new graphics chip? Not being a Palm Programmer, I don't know how difficult it would be to "optimize" code to support high res. Well, here to hoping things work out before Sony releases another cool device with even more features...
    I would just like to say that I don't like any of the "stick-out-sticks" (what a great term... Thanks bkbk!) at ALL. I would be afraid that my $250 GPS or digital camera will snap off if I drop the CLie while it's plugged in, or it snags its self on something.

I have the same problem with the SD/MMC modules that stick out as well. I actually have more faith in the memory stick ones since they have more "stick" to leverage against.

Springboard is, of course, perfect.
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast