Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I'm a Treo 750 owner (having switched to the dark side from the Treo 680 a few months ago), and am thinking of replacing my Treo 750 with the Blackjack II.

I was in the AT&T store today, so I could compare the Blackjack II with my Treo 750. I ran a DSL Reports speed test several times with the two phones side by side and the Blackjack II came out ahead each time: about 930 kbps versus 610 kbps.

I like the Blackjack II's built in GPS. I like that the Blackjack II has more available memory than the Treo 750: about 87 megs compared to Treo 750's 29 megs after booting.

I try to keep my stylus in the holder, so not having a touch screen is fine for me.

The Treo does have a bigger screen, 2.6" compared to the Blackjack II's 2.4", but the Treo has that non-standard 240 x 240 resolution.

Unless I'm missing something (and I hope I am), the Blackjack II sounds like a better smartphone for me. And I won't mind shaving off about 2 ounces with the trimmer Blackjack II.

But, I like my Treo 750, so somebody please convince me to keep it!
    The Blackjack won't be fully compatible w/ WMPro apps. If there is an app you need that doesn't exist for WM6 Standard, then there's a reason.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. There no single application that's a must for me:

Google Maps or MSN Live - either will do.

A multi-IM program, one that does all the major IM services. (I use Paringo and Fring; either is okay.)

A backup program - I'm currently using Sprite, but it doesn't matter which one I use.

Perhaps the only *must* program I have is CorePlayer, so I'll look into that.

I will check that the Blackjack II can support an 8 GB memory card, which the Treo 750 can now support under Windows Mobile 6.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The Blackjack won't be fully compatible w/ WMPro apps. If there is an app you need that doesn't exist for WM6 Standard, then there's a reason.
    I'm in the same boat. I like the 750 but there's something about the BlackJack II that really catches your attention.
    I am also considering the BJII. I have a Treo 680. I am attracted by the size, 3G, 2MP camera and the GPS. I have never used WM before, though. And I have tons of Palm apps that I think I would have trouble finding WM6 replacements for. I'm still not sure what I am going to do. Since I installed the latest AT&T ROM, then the custom version that stripped all the BS, my 680 is rock solid. I don't know if the BJII features are worth dealing with WM issues.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Making the switch from the Palm OS to WM wasn't nearly as traumatic as I thought it would be. I had tried several WM devices before I settled on the Treo 750: For me, the ability to be able to use my device with one hand was key.

For every application I liked on my Treo 680, there's a similar or better one for Windows Mobile...except for Directory Assistant. I haven't found a good replacement for that.

I'm a little worried that there's going to be a noticeable difference between a Pocket PC (the Treo 750) and a smartphone (the Blackjack II), or there's going to be something about syncing, downloading emails or something else basic that I won't like about the Blackjack II. (And I do wonder if it can take an 8GB memory card like my Treo 750 can.)

But the Blackjack II's integrated GPS -- that's a very convenient feature to have indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I am also considering the BJII. I have a Treo 680. I am attracted by the size, 3G, 2MP camera and the GPS. I have never used WM before, though. And I have tons of Palm apps that I think I would have trouble finding WM6 replacements for. I'm still not sure what I am going to do.
    I can't in good conscience stop you, the BJII is great. I tend to prefer the Q9h myself (Opera as the default browser), though.

Hm.. How to stop you.. The black version picks up a lot of fingerprints!
    Is the surface different on the red and black versions? Does WM have as many activesync crash problems as I have heard? How often does WM crash requiring a reboot?
    Two of my co-workers got a BlackjackII a few weeks ago. I've been helping them set it up and trouble shoot problems the entire time. I've been really objective but I really appreciate my 700p after working with their phones.

The biggest probs I have with the BJII is imap idle email support, slowness/laginess, and navigation isn't as efficient as the POS. They bought flexmail for imap idle but it's nowhere as good as chatter.

Can you guys recommend a good email app that supports imap idle and a good im app?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've been researching the Blackjack II and found one potential problem -- at least for me. I found this on HowardForums: If you get an SMS, Voicemail or email there's a blinking light that you can't turn off until all of your messages are received: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1303883

I'm not sure if this would drive me crazy or not, but I thought I'd mention it.
    I am sure there is probably a hack - or it is hackable - to get rid of that blinking light. I currently have a Q (which I ditched a Treo 650 for) and I am somewhat in Dieter's camp on the smartphone thing - I don't miss the touchscreen and I don't need all of the bells and whistles on WM Pro. My business partner wants to move to ATT for an iPhone and thus I am thinking about ATT also (we are in Texas and the coverage map has us both in dark orange, so...). I would probably go with either the Q9h or the BJII. For me, after missing the touchscreen for about 2 minutes, the thinner smartphones are the way to go (yes, the Touch is thin, but no physical KB and it is also WM Pro which I don't need). I tried a Mogul for a few weeks back in September and the thickness of the device was one of the main reasons I took it back. Personally, I like the "pocket-ability" of the Q and thus the BJ or BJII. Once you go "thin", it is hard to go back!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I think that's a good philosophy (for me): I don't like to use the touchscreen, so why have a phone with a touchscreen.

As for the blinking light -- who knows, one day I'll probably appreciate the nag, so I see the message.

It looks like smartphones run all of the software I need and that I like on my Treo 750.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I am sure there is probably a hack - or it is hackable - to get rid of that blinking light. I currently have a Q (which I ditched a Treo 650 for) and I am somewhat in Dieter's camp on the smartphone thing - I don't miss the touchscreen and I don't need all of the bells and whistles on WM Pro. My business partner wants to move to ATT for an iPhone and thus I am thinking about ATT also (we are in Texas and the coverage map has us both in dark orange, so...). I would probably go with either the Q9h or the BJII. For me, after missing the touchscreen for about 2 minutes, the thinner smartphones are the way to go (yes, the Touch is thin, but no physical KB and it is also WM Pro which I don't need). I tried a Mogul for a few weeks back in September and the thickness of the device was one of the main reasons I took it back. Personally, I like the "pocket-ability" of the Q and thus the BJ or BJII. Once you go "thin", it is hard to go back!
    Well... I took the plunge today. I ordered a BJII.

I still don't know if I'll give up my 750 but with the rebate from ATT and my son wanting a new phone, I'll compare the two and give him whichever I don't like.

I'm not too thrilled with the finish on the BJII. It would have been nice if Samsung had kept the finish that was on the original BJ. I can get used to not having a touch screen (did most of my navigation with the keypad on the 750) and it will take some time to get used to the size difference.

badler, I should be getting it by the end of the week and if you're still on the fence, I will share my initial observations.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    badler, I should be getting it by the end of the week and if you're still on the fence, I will share my initial observations.
    I'm on the fence, too. So please share your thoughts here, too. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Well, I spoke too soon. I ordered the phone off ATT's Premier Site (offered through my employer) and recieved the confirmation email. About half an hour later, I recieved an email cancelling the order because I had either a) upgraded my phone within 24 hours or b) upgraded more than 4 times in the past 12 months. Neither were true.

I called ATT's Customer Service and was told that I wasn't eligible for upgrade until the end of the year. I explained that the website stated I was eligible based on a review of my account and I was able to place the order. The Customer Service rep said that what I saw didn't matter and that I couldn't upgrade. I explained that I was under the impression that Premiere Customer's did not have any upgrade restrictions and the Rep said I was mistakened (probably was).

I asked for a supervisor and was put on hold for a very long time (five minutes or so) and then was told it was a 30 minute wait to talk to a supervisor.

I explained that was unacceptable and I could tell the Rep could care less what I thought. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can find out why ATT would accept the order and not honor it. It just seems wrong that the website will review my account information, accept the order, and then reject it. In my mind, if I'm not eligible for upgrade, the system wouldn't let me place the order in the first place.

I really like ATT's service but their Customer Service really has a lot to be desired.
    I had gone into a AT&T store to look at the BJII this past Sunday. My online account page shows that I am not eligible for an upgrade until May. The rep in the store said that the manager can waive that on their discretion. I still may wait until I get all that money that GW is going to give us soon.
    The eligibility to upgrade has never been set in stone. When I purchased through the retail stores, as you mentioned, the manager could always waive it. Or they would offer you the phone at the 1yr contract price but have you sign a 2yr contract.

But these Reps were dead set about denying me an upgrade and there was no way I was going to be on hold for a half hour to speak to a supervisor. I'm fine with not being eligible but don't allow the website to accept my orders.

If I ever get a chance to talk to a supervisor tomorrow and they allow the purchase, I'll get the BJII. If not, I'm happy with the 750.
    Well, badler, I went to HoFo too and started reading this thread - Q9h vs. BJII - and since I already have a Q, I don't think I will be switching. I think the keyboard differences alone will keep me in the Q camp - which I really like on the Q9 series (h or c). Good luck!

EDIT - Wow, just noticed the price of the Q9h is the same as the Tilt ($299)!! The BJII is only $100!
    Last edited by bubbatex; 01/29/2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Oh, great - another option, the Q9. One thing that I've come to realize is that I don't need a Pocket PC: For being on-the-go, a smartphone may be smarter.

I was reading the HowardForums threat and saw that two people mentioned that the BlackJack II asks you to confirm that you want to connect a Bluetooth headset every time you turn the headset on. In other words, a previously paired BT headset doesn't automatically connect so you have to click a dialog box on the BJII. Has anyone here experienced that?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Well, badler, I went to HoFo too and started reading this thread - Q9h vs. BJII - and since I already have a Q, I don't think I will be switching. I think the keyboard differences alone will keep me in the Q camp - which I really like on the Q9 series (h or c). Good luck!

EDIT - Wow, just noticed the price of the Q9h is the same as the Tilt ($299)!! The BJII is only $100!
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Oh, great - another option, the Q9.

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...ckjack_ii.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast