Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey... does anyone know AT&T's corporate number or a way to contact Kathleen Dowling?

I'm getting jerked around by customer service on this whole upgrade issue. The system will still allow me to order the phone but it only gets cancelled. The Reps say there is no way to override it (yeah, right) and I keep hitting a brick wall or expected to stay on hold forever.

Frustrating is an under statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Hey... does anyone know AT&T's corporate number or a way to contact Kathleen Dowling?

I'm getting jerked around by customer service on this whole upgrade issue. The system will still allow me to order the phone but it only gets cancelled. The Reps say there is no way to override it (yeah, right) and I keep hitting a brick wall or expected to stay on hold forever.

Frustrating is an under statement.
    Here's a list of all the execs up to President & CEO. Some of them (to include Kathleen Dowling) have a link to email them.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Just to update you on my adventure with ATT. I recieved a call from one of Kathleen Dowling's (ATT VP Customer Service) assistants today. After discussing the issue with him, it is likely the Premiere Website did not review the correct or full account when it authorized the upgrade. When the order was reviewed by a order clerk, they noticed the error and cancelled the order.

Because of this oversight, ATT will honor the upgrade and it looks like I'll get some hands on experience with the BlackJack after all.
    And that's why you keep the President/VP contact info in your back pocket!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Badler....
    Just got the BJII and will set it up later this afternoon. I just wanted to share one thing with you.

ATT sent me the dark red version and while I was concerned at first (wanted the black) I actually like the appearance a little better. It's not vibrant red but more of a maroon and it grows on you.

The one thing I like about the red version over the black is the finish. The black is a shiny, smooth finish that is a fingerprint magnet. The red is textured that not only doesn't advertise fingerprints, it gives you a little bit of a grip.

Size wise, it's noticeably lighter than the 750 and while I feared it would feel like a Texas Instrument calculator, it actually feels comfortable in my hand.

Again, this is some "just out of the box" observations and tonight, I'll actually perform surgery and switch sim cards. By the end of the weekend, I'll have more of a hands-on feel for the device and will share them then.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update!

I'm looking forward to hearing your report, both the good and bad.

Badler....
    Just got the BJII and will set it up later this afternoon. I just wanted to share one thing with you.

ATT sent me the dark red version and while I was concerned at first (wanted the black) I actually like the appearance a little better. It's not vibrant red but more of a maroon and it grows on you.

The one thing I like about the red version over the black is the finish. The black is a shiny, smooth finish that is a fingerprint magnet. The red is textured that not only doesn't advertise fingerprints, it gives you a little bit of a grip.

Size wise, it's noticeably lighter than the 750 and while I feared it would feel like a Texas Instrument calculator, it actually feels comfortable in my hand.

Again, this is some "just out of the box" observations and tonight, I'll actually perform surgery and switch sim cards. By the end of the weekend, I'll have more of a hands-on feel for the device and will share them then.
    I rarely post but I happen to have both a Treo 750 and a BJ II right now and I figured I'd share my impressions. The treo has been my baby since jan 2007. Just got the BJ ll a month ago for "work". I carry both phones but lately i reach for my BJII way more often. All of my "must have" pro apps are available in smart phone versions! E-wallet, Slingplayer mobile, pocket quicken, im+ and photocontacts pro. I missed the threaded sms so i bought extreme text. Add in the internet connection sharing hack and I am in heaven! The screen is so much better than treo 750's! At first I was afraid I'd miss the touchscreen but "onehandedness" has taken on a new meaning in windows mobile standard. Plus I love how thin and light it is. Honestly I'll probably get rid of the treo once the contract is up....well that is if I don't fall in love with the successor to the 750!!

BTW I have the black "shiny" version and i don't mind the smudges. I think the high gloss makes it scratch resistant! If that makes any sense. Well I hope my 2 cents were helpful!
    Ok... I took a deep breath and pulled the SIM card out of my 750 and slid it into the BlackJack II late yesterday afternoon. Synced it with the computer and set up my email accounts.

The reflex to tap the screen was intense but after a while, I remembered to use the keys and not the screen.

It is noticeably lighter than the 750 to the point you almost forget you have it on your belt (carry both in a horizontal case). I also found out this is a tough little phone. Not being used to the smaller size and using a case that hasn't been broken in yet, I fumbled the phone and it went sailing across a concrete floor. Notta scratch or ding.

I like the keyboard better on the BJII but I like the navigation and on/off buttons better on the 750. The BJ II's navigation wheel is nice but the select buttons and green/red buttons seem flimsy. I would have rather seen buttons like the 750 than what Samsung choose.

I would have rather seen a charge/sync port open at the bottom of the BJ II. The little cover on the charge/sync port seems flimsy and I'm curious how long it will take to loose it. I'd also like to see a standard or mini headphone jack.

The screen is smaller but seems more vibrant on the BJ II. At first I thought I would not like the smaller screen but it wasn't as great a loss as I had thought.

Navigating through the menus seemed more difficult on the BJ II than on the 750 but that may be attributed to not being familiar with WM Standard. It seemed as if you had to drill down further to get to things. For example, it took me a good while to find the Bluetooth commands where on the 750, you simply hit the BT symbol.

The home screen on the 750 is nicer but again, I think I can get used to the BJ II. I miss the speed dial button on the home screen, I'm not too keen on the row of most recently used programs, and I would like to get rid of the "Get Xpress Mail" line. I'm considering giving Facade a try to see if that improves the home screen any.

Performance... the call performance of the BJ II is better than the 750. Volume is clear and understandable at 50% while the speaker needs a little help.

So far, no resets. Couldn't tell you how to reset the BJ II if I had to right now but internet, email and phone usage has resulted in no lock ups. The 750averaged about one reset every other week (for some reason more frequent lately).

Surfing the internet is a touch faster and email set up is not very different. I was able to get work email on the 750 and simply have to figure out how to do it on the BJ II. I stumbled on setting it up on the 750 so I just have to tinker with it more.

Another thing I'll have to find out how to do is sync Outlook Notes and use the GPS. I think I disabled the blinky light on new email in the settings for "Other Sounds" by choosing no notification for new email.

I haven't used the camera for still or video. It's one feature I can live without on any phone.

So, which one do I like the best? A tougher question to answer than you think. If you need to capability of WM Pro, then by all means the 750. If you don't, the BJ II would be hard to overlook. If I was looking to replace a Palm OS phone, the BJ II would definitely be a step up.

While these observations are based on only 24 hours of use, after a week or so, I will have a better handle on how the BJ II compares to the 750. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an "apples/oranges" comparison with both being great devices for their respective systems. There's no perfect device but there's very little to complain about with the BJ II.
    My contract is up with Sprint this month and as much as I love Sprint and my savings with them, my wife wants a BB Curve for work and personal use and she can't wait for the possiblity of Sprint getting the Curve. I went to the ATT dealer today and actually liked the BJ II and I already have experience with WM so that is not an issue but I liked the form factor and the shiny black finish. If I do decide to go ATT, I will get the Blackjack II and my wife will have her Curve. I just hate how I will be paying about $40 more a month for the equivelant plan with ATT.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Ok.

One last minute plus I've discovered on the BJ II; GPS. Found the plug in to allow it to work with Google Maps and this definitely gives the BJ II an edge over the 750.

I've got a TomTom XL so I never missed GPS on the 750 but to have it and not need it on the BJ II is far better than needing it and not having it on the 750.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review, Coppertop.

I have a couple of questions about the BlackJack II -- things I've read, and I'm wondering if they're correct.

First, does the Bluetooth headset have to be "confirmed" each time you turn the headset on? In other words, do you need to click on an ok dialog box on the BJ2 even after the headset has been paired, if your headset has been off?

Second, how's the locking key sequence? I've read that it is: "Power button press + left soft key press + "s" key press". Is there another way to unlock the BJ2?

Thanks for your insight and experience! It's always helpful to have somebody blaze a new path.

Ok... I took a deep breath and pulled the SIM card out of my 750 and slid it into the BlackJack II late yesterday afternoon. Synced it with the computer and set up my email accounts.

The reflex to tap the screen was intense but after a while, I remembered to use the keys and not the screen.

So, which one do I like the best? A tougher question to answer than you think. If you need to capability of WM Pro, then by all means the 750. If you don't, the BJ II would be hard to overlook. If I was looking to replace a Palm OS phone, the BJ II would definitely be a step up.

While these observations are based on only 24 hours of use, after a week or so, I will have a better handle on how the BJ II compares to the 750. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an "apples/oranges" comparison with both being great devices for their respective systems. There's no perfect device but there's very little to complain about with the BJ II.
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Thanks for the review, Coppertop.

First, does the Bluetooth headset have to be "confirmed" each time you turn the headset on? In other words, do you need to click on an ok dialog box on the BJ2 even after the headset has been paired, if your headset has been off?
    I havent' the foggiest idea. If I had to guess, I'd say yes. I don't use a bluetooth headset so I'll defer to others who have experience in this area.

In looking at the BT menu, it appears once you pair a device with the phone you may have to confirm the connection from the main screen for each reconnect. I don't think you have to go through the entire pairing sequence.

I would think you would have a "remember device" option to avoid having to confirm the device each time it reconnects. If I can get my hands on a BT headset, I'll test it out.

Second, how's the locking key sequence? I've read that it is: "Power button press + left soft key press + "s" key press". Is there another way to unlock the BJ2?
    To lock the phone you can do it one of two ways. First, you can press the power button and choose to lock the phone from the menu (you can use the "C" button as a menu shortcut). Second, you can press and hold the "hang-up" button and it will lock the phone.

To unlock, when you press the power button you then hit the select button under "Unlock" and then hit the "*" button. I'm not sure if you can change the "*" button.

I haven't locked the phone since using it. Unlike the 750, you don't have a touch screen that can accidentally dial a number or start a program. I can see locking the 750 being more important than the BJ II.

Technically, you could accidentally hit and hold one of the keypad buttons to speed dial a number but I think the odds on that would be a long shot.

Oh...another thing I've discovered. To use the speakerphone, you can use the "Menu" during a call or press and hold the "call/green" button.

The more I use this phone, the more I'm impressed with it. I just wish you could get rid of that darn "Get XpressMail" command on the home screen.
    Last edited by coppertop; 02/03/2008 at 07:58 PM.
    It was suggested to try Facade as a Home Screen. Bought my version from Handango and it's a nice addition to the BJII. Comes really close to the Today Screen on the 750.

It would be nice to have a few speed dial buttons on it but all-in-all, it's a must have for the BJII.
    I just got the red one. VERY nice! It's not as crass looking as you'd think, but quite professional yet thin.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The story has ended: I bought the Q9. I've only had it for a day (dropped it once on a wooden floor and not a single scratch -- and I looked!). So far, I like: It's fast, takes an 8 GB mini SD card, has a nice screen, easy to use keyboard (except that the shift key is only on the right), and hasn't locked up once.

If you get a Q9, search for and destroy the sound that it makes when you turn the Q9 on and off, as well as the sound that the camera makes. (These sounds can be disabled through the registry.)

The Q9 comes with Opera and Internet Explorer installed.

I like having an integrated GPS -- that's very handy.
    It's definitely mini, not microSD? Everything's gone micro it seems.

AT&T site says micro.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/07/2008 at 05:41 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Congrats.

The more I use WM Standard, the more I see it fits my needs far better than WM Pro. I don't miss the touch screen (even though I still tap it every now and then out of instinct).

The Q9 looked good but for me, the form factor of the BJII felt more comfortable.

Curious... does Opra have a clear advantage over Explorer?
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Sorry - I mean micro.

The only trouble I'm really having with the Q6 is the lack of micro USB adapters in various products such as Battery Geek's rechargeable power packs.

Initially I was a little dumbfounded by the lack of customization that could be done on the Q9 compared to the Treo 750. I guess that's a major difference between a Smartphone and a Pocket PC. But it can be highly customized by changing the registry. (Visit www.everythingq.com for that.)

The internal GPS is a little weak. I had been using a Freedom keychain GPS with my Treo 750 -- the Freedom could pick up a GPS signal quite well indoors. The Q9 really needs to have a clear shot at the sky for the GPS to work. Still, it's nice to have everything in one device.

Boot up time on the Q9 is faster than on the Treo 750. And even more important, it takes noticeably less time for the unlock screen to be enabled (if you have your device set to lock after a reset.)

Battery life seems pretty good so far. I tried to run the battery down today by keeping several applications open, including Windows Media Player. After roughly 4 hours (I wasn't doing a precise test) I was only down to 50 percent. And speaking of the battery, it seems that the battery level display only shows specific intervals, 80 percent, 50 percent, etc. You don't see 80 percent, 79 percent.

I'm still amazed that the Q9 survived a 3 foot fall onto a wooden floor without a single scratch. Hopefully I won't be repeating that particular experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's definitely mini, not microSD? Everything's gone micro it seems.

AT&T site says micro.
    Last edited by badler; 02/07/2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Badler... give Facade a try (should work on the Q9). The lack of customization on the home screen is one short fall of WM Standard in my opinion. Facade helps but it would be nice to select what you want without the extra program.

Curious... does the Q9 allow you to sync Outlook Notes? I've yet to find a way to get the BJII to do that....
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Nope - Notes doesn't sync either. I hadn't noticed that. I'm using XTNDCConnect, which also doesn't sync notes. (An aside: I like XTNDCConnect because it allows for one-way syncing. I still don't trust ActiveSync.)

I'm playing around with Facade - very cool. I'm also trying a free launcher-type program, Pointui Home, which is fantastic. Great luck and excellent functionality. And did I say free?! Visit http://www.pointui.com/ for info.

Badler... give Facade a try (should work on the Q9). The lack of customization on the home screen is one short fall of WM Standard in my opinion. Facade helps but it would be nice to select what you want without the extra program.

Curious... does the Q9 allow you to sync Outlook Notes? I've yet to find a way to get the BJII to do that....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast