Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handspring started a trend. Make a PDA that meets the need of real people. Not just the corpoate types. Sony is now following this trend with a revolutionary PDA. Sure there may be other that have some of the features scattered among other PDAs but Sony has made an almost perfect combination.
    The only area I think they missed was a built in voice recorder.

Now I know there are a lot of people who feel a PDA should be very simple. True, as far as the standard Palm apps go(Datebook, Address Book, To do, Memo pad) and they should stay that way. But seemless intergration of multimedia in a PDA is what I feel a lot of people want. Sure I wanna track names and numbers, be reminded of important events or to do's but I wouldn't mind also carrying photos of family and friends, listen to music, play games, read books and so on, and so on. We all do!! It's just that I'd rather have the amount of devices and paper I burden myself with cut down to a minimum.

The Sony Clie N710c has the goods from what I can see. Sony is following the steps Handspring did. Give the people what they truly want, but do it well

My opinion is that this could be the next walkman. A device that becomes the standard for all to aspire. I think Palm will take multimedia seriously the next go round.

What's your take on it?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    The only area I think they missed was a built in voice recorder.
    Nope. They missed the vibrating alarm, which was one of the best things about the m50x!

My opinion is that this could be the next walkman. A device that becomes the standard for all to aspire. I think Palm will take multimedia seriously the next go round.
    I think that there will only be a limited number of applications/app developers who will support hi-res (esp.
    16-bit hi-res) until it gets rolled into the core Palm OS. I don't want that to be true, since I have a n710c
    myself, but I'm afraid that's how it works. Until you have a big enough market, or the prospects of a big
    market, you're not going to attract lots of developers. No matter how much we love the Clie2, it will take
    some time before we get tons of nice hi-res apps (but I hope that at least SplashPhoto will hurry up and
    follow Red-Mercury's lead in supporting 16-bit 320x320 photos!!!)
  3.    #3  
    I think there's gonna be a slew of apps by this fall.
    -Mikedemo
    I don't see the Clie as being that revolutionary.

As for impact, I think it will push Palm towards supporting a higher resolution screen (as will the Handera).

Multimedia is 'neat' but not the killer app. A majority of people use PDAs for organizing...not playing MP3s.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by homer

As for impact, I think it will push Palm towards supporting a higher resolution screen (as will the Handera).

Multimedia is 'neat' but not the killer app. A majority of people use PDAs for organizing...not playing MP3s.

My point is people do want more. I'm not saying its a nescesity but its nice to have. I want to walk around was a litle stuff as posible. The Clie does it well for me. (Visor Prism did too with the SoundsGood AudioPlayer) Most people buy a car to get around quickly. When you buy a car do you have to have A/C or a radio to get from point A to point B? No. But it would be nice right?

Maybe revolutionary was too strong of a word. I should have said Evolutionary, because its just like going from a B/W PDA to Color. You ain't never going back. And I know I dam well I'm not going back to 160x160 resolution. 320x320 8bit color looks so much sharper, It looks better than 160x160 16bit. And the big tease is that all Sony has to do is write the driver for OS support of 16bit color.

Just face it, Sony has forced the Palm industry to compete Pocket PC head on with features outside of just the operating system and price, of Which I Like.

There's finally a Palm device that can go just about toe to toe with an ipaq. Palms now need a faster Processor. Maybe Handspring will be next to rock our worlds. As they always do
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/12/2001 at 04:08 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    WalkMan..
    WatchMan..
    DiscMan..

PDAMan!!

SONY has created yet another killer consumer electronics device. The greatest feature on this one is that it runs Palm OS.

'Nuff Said.
    Last edited by slotmachine; 06/12/2001 at 04:53 PM.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    There's finally a Palm device that can go just about toe to toe with an ipaq. Palms now need a faster Processor. Maybe Handspring will be next to rock our worlds. As they always do
    Ask and ye shall receive...

The Super VZ will run at 66MHz, more than twice as fast as the current VZ processors, and will cost $14 each in volume. The Super VZ will be a transition processor for manufacturers that don't want to switch over to ARM-based processors and do want to keep costs down.

The MX1 will run at 140MHz to 200MHz and will cost $19 each in volume. This chip will put Motorola on par with the performance of Intel's StrongARM processor, which is found in handhelds that run on Microsoft's Pocket PC operating system.

You just got your wish. How many wanna put money on Handspring being the first to capitalize on the SuperVZ?
    What do you think, Sirs?
    I'll prob. bet every penny (in the form of stock) on HS kicking **** thus.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Originally posted by homer

I agree with you homer. Most PDA users do not want multimedia in the ir PDA. If they did, they would have gotten a Pokcet PC. Personally, I can't see myself listening to music on my Visor. Then again, I was the one that say color is useless..until the Prism came out.
    Originally posted by critic

You just got your wish. How many wanna put money on Handspring being the first to capitalize on the SuperVZ?

Handspring always up the ante on its competitors. It has an advantage because they usually do their product releases after everyone else.
    CLIE revolutionary? I wouldn't go that far. Evolutionary? Yah.

(Revolutionary would be the roll out of the Visor, with the expansion slot. This was a new idea.)

Mp3 playback? It's been done on Palm OS (via Springboard module). The first to do it was revolutionary.

Building it into the base unit? That's EVOLUTIONARY, not Revolutionary...

Hi res? Been done. (handera was first. that's revolutionary). Doing it properly? That's evolutionary.

Memory expansion? Been done (via Springboard, SD, etc. that's revolutionary). Building it into the unit, in gum stick -size media? That's evolutionary.

Now, if they'd thrown in vibrating alarm, internal speaker (let me play my music WITHOUT headphones), and a cappucino maker, it'd be revolutionary.

I AM NOT knocking the CLIE, it's a beautiful device.
    I just need to figure out what to do with my Prism now...
    I finally saw a Clié last Wednesday. I was impressed, but not enough to switch. Color depth vs. resolution is a subjective preference, but I have to say, I much prefer the brightness and color depth of the Prism, even at the expense of lower resolution. When 16-bit color comes standard with the Clié, which doesn't appear to be far off, the Clié will be the best screen.

Sony's impact on the industry will be the way the company approached high resolution. I think more Palm OS apps will support the 360 x 360 square format than Handera's virtual silkscreen.

Now that Sony's relaxed its licensing on the Memory Stick somewhat (a single licensing fee instead of a per-unit royalty), MS technology will make more inroads, but right now, the cost per megabyte is way too high. 128 MB CF and SM cards are available for less than the cheapest 64 MB Memory Stick. And, as always, I have my doubts that many (or any) of the concept MS modules will see the light of day in retail.

But the real problem with the Memory Stick is the form factor. I wouldn't want to bite into a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum only to find that I pulled the wrong stick out of my shirt pocket.
    Originally posted by yardie

I agree with you homer. Most PDA users do not want multimedia in the ir PDA. If they did, they would have gotten a Pokcet PC. Personally, I can't see myself listening to music on my Visor. Then again, I was the one that say color is useless..until the Prism came out.
    Buzzz!
    Is there PocketPC Mac support? Not that I've heard of. Mac users don't have a choice. Nor people who despise PocketPC (whatever their reason).

I think it's not that most people DON'T WANT multimedia supprt in their palm, it's that they have no idea the PalmOS is capable of it. I find it really hard to believe that you can't envision yourself listening to music on a Palm OS device. Palm in pocket, earbud headset with a thin stereo wire leading into your pocket. It doesn't get much easier than that.
    double post
    Last edited by Vertigo; 06/18/2001 at 05:19 AM.
    Handspring has really dissapointed me, they came into the market with a big bang offering a device that had more memory, an expansion slot, & USB all at a lower pricepoint than what Palm had out. Since then they released: the same PDA with a slightly faster processor, a color PDA which had to be thicker & cost more than the competitor, and a thin PDA which cost the same as the other guy. They started out right with both something innovative and at a value price, now they release bleh shtuff...they don't stand out! Not to mention the paint problem!

Sony has really become what I wanted Handspring to be, they bring out innovative products at a price point thats affordable. Sure, $500 seems a lot but look at what you'd have to get from Handspring to equal the features: Prism ($400) + SoundsGood ($150) + MemPlug ($50) = $600 vs Clie ($500) + 64mb MS ($75) = $575, cheaper by about $25 (and not even figuring in the 8mb MS that comes w/ Clie) and plus you get the evolutionary stuff such as higher resolution, better sound capabilities, jog dial, flash rom, etc...

Handspring better have something good by year's end or I'm jumping ship. Palm's next generation should be the first with the ARM processor and I think maybe, at least until now (considering market conditions), they've decided to hold off on multimedia till then.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I agree Matt, this is an evolutionary phase.
    Handspring hasn't had it's chance at bat yet
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    But the real problem with the Memory Stick is the form factor. I wouldn't want to bite into a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint Gum only to find that I pulled the wrong stick out of my shirt pocket.
    Hilarious
    I really do not think that Sony will make that much of a dent in the status quo. They seem to be aiming for the geekazoids and hardcore Palm users who want multimedia and the likes. Most Palm users still use their Visors and Palm Pilots as an organizer and so have no need for a Sony Clie. I am amazed at how much people I have met that is still using the Palm Pilot Professional!
    geekazoids, I like it.

I agree. We probably represent 1 - 10% of PDA users. If you leave our hangout here on the GeekaZoid Ridge of Mt. Palm Olympus, you'll find the average palm user fired up about the *wincing* "Jordan Palm".

But That's Another Thread
  20.    #20  
    PDA's ain't for geeks anymore.The fact that they are coming out with an "Air Jordan" Palm V proves it. I think I look quite trendy with my listening to my tunes and reading news on the train. I catch a lot of honey's looking and I see a lot of babes on the train using Palms and Handsprings. Besides the Cle, Edge and Palm M500 are sexy
    -Mikedemo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast