Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With a Wilson Amplifier system about to be installed in our SOHO, I'd like to have the option of using a desktop cell phone when in the office....something a bit bigger and more comfortable to use for long calls while at the computer.

Something like this:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ktop_cell.html

Saw dozens of financial reports how this thing was killing but they were bought out by a GPS company and I don't see the rpoduct on their current web site. Found some semiconductor site where I could buy in lots of 1,000 but my need isn't quite that great

Anyone know where I can actually buy one ? Or soemthing else I can drop the treo into to charge / sync while still having a full size handset available to talk on.
    Perhaps you should consider using the iPhone.

Avaya provides an easy solution to what you are looking for on the iPhone, not sure about the Treo.
    Check out the link below for more information and a quick little video.

http://www1.avaya.com/campaign/demo/iphone/index.html
    Jack, would something akin to automatic forwarding of incoming calls from your cell phone to a landline be an option?

There are a few programs out there that in hindsight I'm sure you're aware of, like Call Director which is about as automatic as you can get...plus at one-time $15, it's an inexpensive solution.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Any of THESE look good?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Jack, would something akin to automatic forwarding of incoming calls from your cell phone to a landline be an option?
    Well the whole point of the exercise is dumping the landlines. Each land line costs me about $65 a month. First cell lines costs me $59, the next 4 are $10 each.....so I save $660 a year per line switched over to cell.
  6.    #6  
    Hey Mods, how did me, a Treo user get switched over to an iPhone forum ?

Note last paragraph in original message.

"Anyone know where I can actually buy one ? Or something else I can drop the Treo into to charge / sync while still having a full size handset available to talk on."
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 01/11/2008 at 09:27 AM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Any of THESE look good?
    Well don't like the dangly stuff. In a desk covered with construction drawings and stuff, I prefer a wall phone of at least something that won't get lost among the papers or go flying cause that something I ran to my desk to get caught the corner of a wire.

Now a full size desk phone where my Treo could just get dumped in a slot, that would work....no wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Hey Mods, how did me, a Treo user get switched over to an iPhone forum ?
    It's actually in the cross-platform chat, which shows up in all forums for smartphone experts (the meta forum is here)--I imagine it's to get the most coverage and since you said "Treo", it could have meant WM or POS I suppose.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Well...I don't know that this would work at work...but who knows.

I have a Dock-N-Talk at home. I walk in the door, my Centro connects via Bluetooth. I have a multiple handset system (one of those systems where there's a "primary" phone, and then there are add on phones that just plug into an electric outlet). Anyway, I have the primary handset plugged into the Dock-N-Talk, and I have a secondary phone plugged into an electric outlet in my bedroom, w-a-y across the other end of the house. Now when someone calls my cell phone I pick it up from a regular handset. If you disconnect your service at the house, you can actually use the phone jacks that are installed in the house...anywhere there is a jack you can have a stand alone handset and plug it in to use. I didn't disconnect at the house and 2 handsets works for me. But this sounds like it is along the lines of what you are trying to do.
  10.    #10  
    Their site isn't very descriptive and I am not quite sure how it is supposed to work. I'm in a 200 year old barn that's a SOHO. The home has a single line that runs through most of the house but 4 people share that line and I don't see how for of them could share the same wiring. The Office part however seems interesting as most days I am the only one here. Might be a problem in that we share two lines over one 4 wire cable with a fax and auto switcher on the second.

How is this arranged, you lay your Centro on a desk somewhere and dangle some wires ? Or does it insert in a cradle ? Or is BT your only option.

I'm thinking if I gonna use BT, I'd wanna use it with my BT Treo headset.
    Let me try to give you a visual...forget about the wiring on the house. It doesn't even come into play in the scenario that I have set up in my house, which sounds like what you would do as well.

You have a Dock-N-Talk with a Bluetooth module, and your Treo does connect to it via Bluetooth.

The Dock-N-Talk gets plugged into an electric outlet strictly for the purpose of power.

I then have a cordless phone that plugs into the back of the Dock-N-Talk. So my Centro is connected to the Dock-N-Talk via Bluetooth, and the Dock-N-Talk is connected to the regular handset phone. When a call comes in the handset rings (as does the Centro, incidentally).

In my case I have a "companion" handset system. You don't have to have one of these if you only need one handset, but my house is long and I can't hear my phone in the kitchen. So I have a companion handset that plugs into a regular electric outlet for the purpose of getting power. The handsets themselves are made to work together via the manufacturer...I do nothing for that. So when my Centro rings, both handsets also ring and I pick up the call from either of those.

Hope that clarifies.
    The Dock-n-talk is a very effective device. shop eBay as the manufacturer actually sells at better prices there. One can use the BT module or purchase a cable to plug in. I've used this device as well as a similar, now defunct, product for just the same application as you. If you are on a GSM system (T-mobile or AT&T), you might also look at the Waxess cellular terminal.
    Mark
    Mark Bergman
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Let me try to give you a visual...forget about the wiring on the house. It doesn't even come into play in the scenario that I have set up in my house, which sounds like what you would do as well.

You have a Dock-N-Talk with a Bluetooth module, and your Treo does connect to it via Bluetooth. Hope that clarifies.
    What I was getting at is the 650 can do one BT connection at a time. If the ONLY possible connection between the 650 and the Doc'nTalk is via BT, then my Treo headset simply has nothing left to connect to.
    Unfortunately the Dock-N-Talk people have moved away from cables and there are none available for the Treo. I actually wish there was, as the Bluetooth connection can still get a little flaky at times.

You are correct...if you are connected to the Dock N Talk you can't also be connected to your headset. If you have a headset you don't mind wearing with a long battery life, that is probably your best bet. The one issue I see with this is that you would have to always be wearing your Treo. That's the advantage to the Dock N Talk in a house. You leave the phone wherever the dock no talk is (and this would be wherever you have the best reception), and then you can answer the phone from any other part of the house without having to remember to take your phone with you, etc. (but you would need to have handsets set up in your different rooms).
  15.    #15  
    I am not a fan of cordless phones, my biggest problem being "finding them" especially when their battery is dead. I don't much care for wireless networking either.....my attitude being why use cordless /wireless when you can have a cable with better performance and quality ? I don't really need whole house coverage....just need coverage in one room.

The ideal solution would be this:

1. Desktop phone has bit of memory in it. You come into office and you beam, Network transfer whatever the info from your SIM card to the desktop phone.

2. From then on, unless you change it, that phone rings whenever your cell phone does.

3. This could even be configured with "mailboxes" such that you could use in a house for multiple people. That is phone could store info for say up to 5 people (mom, dad and 2.3 children). Mom's phone rings, could have distinctive ring and put messages in her mailbox......Sissy's phone rings, her ring with her mailbox.

4. HotSync, desktop phone tracking apps, fax etc would be very cool. Maybe Hawkins shoulda worked on this instead of the foleo
    Well, I stumbled on this at Hofo...is this what you are looking for?

Just learned that Phone Labs launched the Unity Telephone docking station which allows a land line and cell phone to work together in a desktop phone. Way way cool! I just ordered one and will let you know what I think of it. They say I can load my whole cell phone directory into it for land line calls too and conference land and cell calls together. Will keep you posted.
    Hello Direct used to send me catalogs frequently and they had a couple systems like you are looking for. Might want to check them out.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    I realize that you are not interested in cordless phones, but at&t has one that would probably do what you are looking for. I'd also thought I'd mention it in case there is someone else looking for something similar. I'm considering purchasing it for home use.:
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=372574

The reviews for it were decent enough on Amazon.com. You can connect your cell via bluetooth and answer your phone or regular line through it, and it has an extra handset. You can purchase it places other than Sam's, but most only come with a single handset, and it's 50-80 more for the additional, so Sam's had the best price. From what I understand, it's also a good solution for folx who only have a cell at home and would like a full sized handset.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Well, I stumbled on this at Hofo...is this what you are looking for?
    Well it's getting close....but at $390 per handset, seems a bit steep. $240 for the phone itself and $150 for the Dock-N-Talk.

Phone manufacturers don't seem to "get it" with regards to the SOHO usage. Been looking for 2 line phones where I could put 3 or 4 phones in office, each having an LCD and one of them having built in answering machine and fax switch..... Lotte cordless models around but none of them work with fax switches.

Seems very hard for a manufacturer like phone labs to make universal docking for every phone in creation. Even if they managed that task, with manufacturers shrinking form factors, would be monumental task to keep up. Seems to me Palm (or any vendor) could make a cradle with a regular phone RJ-45 jack and then we could plug a two way splitter into the back of the desktop phone .....one goes to land line, one to cradle.

More likely Jobs will unveil it first .
    I'm looking to do this as well for the savings, but the Dock-n-Talk can only connect to one cell phone at a time.

But I just found this:

http://www.xlinkgateway.com/index.ht...bt=2_c6c0d8a-7

The xlink says it connects up to three cell phones at the same time... Sounds good... I"ll report back here if I roll the dice...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast