1.    #1  
    I've seen many posts stating that the Sony Clie devices and other Palm PDA's can't share the same computer because of driver issues. Well I'm here to say you can have your cake and eat it too.

I own a Sony Clie N710c and the Handspring Visor Prism, two of the hottest color Palm devices today. I have been able to get both devices syncing to Palm desktop 4.0 (not 4.01) with no problems as of yet. All of the conduits to each of the devices work, including the ability to talk to the SoundsGood AudioPlayer Springboard on my Prism or the ability to view the MemoryStick in my Clie as a disk drive and drag and drop mp3 files on to it.

I am currently running windows 98se and I will tell you how I was able to accomplish it. If you wish to attempt this feat I would like to warn you that I am not responsible neither is Visor Central if you lose any data or screw up your computer. With that said . . .

These are the steps I took.

Get Clie up first

1. Uninstalled Palm desktop (make sure you have a backup of your data or use a backup module even though all of your info is still on your first PDA.)

2. Install the Palm Desktop for Clie 3.1 and hotsync your Clie to make sure that Palm desktop is working.

4. Install Palm desktop 4.0 (not 4.01)You may need to close the "Sony PDA USB switcher" which shows up in the lower right tray, to perform the installation or you may get errors and the install will not complete.

5. Custom install Palm Desktop from the CD that came with your Clie N710c only the Hotsync manager.

6. Restart computer and test syncing again.

Now you have Palm desktop 4.0 working with your Clie. (please note that "Sony PDAUSB switcher" loaded on the restart. It is vital that that app is running when you want to sync or the clie will not be seen.)

adding your Prism

7. Close the "SonyPDA USB switcher" (again this is critical. It interferes with the install)

8. Custom Install Palm desktop 3.1 from the disk that came with you Prism. Only install hotsync manager (which will add the drivers for the Prism to the Palm desktop 4.0)

9. Restart computer (once the you reboot is done, you should see both the "HotSync Manager 3.1.0H" and the "SonyPDA USB switcher" in the system tray on the lower right of you desktop.

10. Create a new Profile for your Prism and Hotsync.

I think this will also work even if you decide to stick with Palm desktop 3.1 for Clie. Just custom install the Hotsync manager that came with your Prism.

That's it. That's what I did and now I can sync both my Visor Prism and my Clie of of the same Hybrid Palm Desktop config I made.

Good luck.

BTW: if you don't have a copy of Palm desktop 4.0 which was the first release. I have a copy and would be glad to email or Icq it to you.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    AH-HA! I figured that CLIE-only hotsynnc was just a CYA on Sony's part. Good job!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.