Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got a Clie Friday after work and was so excited about it that I couldn't wait 'till to get home to play around with it. So I openned her up on the train. Luckily there are two outlets per car so I plugged it in. I waited for five minutes as my new PDA sipped on some juice courtesy of the Long Island Rail Road. Then I did it. I turned it on. WOW!!! Lemme tell you. The 320x320 is totally awesome!!!! (My Prism started to quake in fear of being displaced)

I toyed around a bit more and fell in love with this thing. I know Iknow its a bit early, but I really like it. Time will tell.

Here's what I love about Clie N710c

Profile is awesome
    Yeah its a little thicker than a M505 but the Clie feels much better in your hands. I know this for a fact because I had a M505 and returned it in a week.

Best Palm screen in town
    The Clie N710c has the best display of any Palm device around. Yes the Prism has a richer display, but the 320x320 resolution is incredible (we're talking iPaq quality screen here)and the ability to be seen in broad daylight gives Sony a big edge. The 710c has much better contrast than the M505. And Is a pleasure to view under any condition(I tell no lie ) No muddy colors at all. The color fidelity is great. In short about the display. Graphics on this 8bit device actually look as good or better than 16bit images on the M505 or Prism. Resolution makes a big difference.

Brightness controls
    Sony did this right. Another huge advantage the Clie has on the M505 is that I can adjust the brightness. and by the way. Clie matches the brightness of the M505 at 25%. So just imagine how much more vivd it can be over the M505.

Audio was handled properly
    This Palm seems to handle audio with some common sense. If you plug in the headphones, all of the sounds go through them. Yep all. Now I can play Galax or Rally and hear all the sounds without disturbing anyone.

Built in MP3 player
    I haven't messed around with the player yet, but it may be time to ebay my SoundsGood AudioPlayer. The device came complete with matching earbuds and a remote (way to go Sony)

Built-in Speaker
    Is much louder than the Prism or the M505. (Hmmm I wonder if the MP3 player could play through them?)

Jog wheel
    Very useful function of the Clie N710c. I hope Avantgo supports it soon. Then I can browse without using my stylus.

Double duty Power adapter
    This is a real neat thing. Sony put the same port on the cradle as does the Clie device. Which means you unplug it from the outlet and the cradle and tada!! You got a travel charger (thats how I charged her up right away on the train)

Loads of potiential
    Just like Handspring, Sony will be coming out with a slew of add ons.

What I didn't like:

Scroll button
    A little spongy feel rather than a nice firm click to when pressing it. scroll buttons are not easily depressed. The Up and down buttons.

Memory Stick can't run apps
    I bought a 64MB memorystick for storing apps and images. The drawback is that just about all of the data I put on the stick has to be copied to internal ram to be used. Some of the info on the stick can be accessed right away like images through PG Pocket (image viewer). Sony needs to remedy this.

Well these are the few things I noticed. I just got her ya know. But I can truly say that in the recent Palm Wars . . . Sony has arrived!!! And they've brought their "A" game with them.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    hey did you say ear buds?
    what about the sexy headphones?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mcmach1
    hey did you say ear buds?
    what about the sexy headphones?
    That is what I meant. You say headphone I say earbuds. I dunno what exactly to call them though. The are much larger than normal ear buds.

The Clie is a solid product.
    -Mikedemo
    Does it sync with Macs?
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by bblue
    Does it sync with Macs?
    I don't know. I haven't tried yet. I would think you need specific drivers for it to work with the mac. I had to install a few for the Clie to sync on my PC.
    -Mikedemo
    I heard rumor that it doesn't.

This could be a major mis-step for Sony.
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by bblue
    I heard rumor that it doesn't.

This could be a major mis-step for Sony.
    You'd think Sony would support Macs from the start especially when Mac users are big on graphics.

Whats also is odd is that the disc that comes with the clie has quicktime drivers for the pc. They are needed for PictureGear lite 4.3 which converts pictures and video for use on your clie.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    I got a Clie Friday after
    Congratulations! Do you think the front cover will hold up against nicks and scratches?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Congratulations! Do you think the front cover will hold up against nicks and scratches?
    Good question. I think it feels just as durable as the M505 cover. I am however a little annoyed that you must get the stylus before you flip it over completely or you can get at it. (but only a little annoyed)

Hopfully some neat cases will be out soon.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo

Good question. I think it feels just as durable as the M505 cover. I am however a little annoyed that you must get the stylus before you flip it over completely or you can get at it. (but only a little annoyed)

Hopfully some neat cases will be out soon.
    I emailed E&B, the company that makes the slipper cover for the prism. They expect to have a case for the CLIE out "very soon". Their cases give good protection with a slim profile.
    How are you finding the buttons on the Clie? (I mean the main function buttons, and the scroll up/down buttons).

I looked over one for 5 minutes at Circuit City and was extremely impressed, but the buttons seemed rather slipperly. How's your experience been with this so far?
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    How are you finding the buttons on the Clie? (I mean the main function buttons, and the scroll up/down buttons).

I looked over one for 5 minutes at Circuit City and was extremely impressed, but the buttons seemed rather slipperly. How's your experience been with this so far?
    They are pretty flush to the surface of the device. But I've gotten use to them. I have issue mostly with the up&down buttons. Its feels very loose compared to the tight snug fit of the other buttons. Its not that big a deal to me especially when I got a jog wheel now

I still feel that the N710c is still a very solid product. A little expensive, but worth every penny. I guess that's why Handspring smartly lowered the price of the Prism to $399 which is a phenomenal deal. As far as the Clie is concerned, at $499, it already is selling like crazy. imagine If they were to drop it to $449.

-I'm in heaven-
    -Mikedemo
    Mike,

Ok here's a super anal question for you. How do the chrome-like surfaces on the front hold up to finger smudges? Do you need to break out the windex at the end of the day?
    Mike,

You may have already joined, but there's a great clie users group where there is a lot of useful information and programs for the Clie. I think all Clie owners should join this group, it's very helpful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLIE_Users_Group

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Fat's
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Mike,

Ok here's a super anal question for you. How do the chrome-like surfaces on the front hold up to finger smudges? Do you need to break out the windex at the end of the day?
    Actually there's only one area where the chrome gets smuges, a I never touched that area before. Its a thin smooth area with the word "Clie" engraved in it. When I touched it my finger prints showed up on it. As for the other areas with chrome, they had a texture to it so I see no prints on it.

So the answer to your question you won't smuge it much at all.
    -Mikedemo
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Mike,

You may have already joined, but there's a great clie users group where there is a lot of useful information and programs for the Clie. I think all Clie owners should join this group, it's very helpful.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CLIE_Users_Group

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Thanks for the info.
    -Mikedemo
    About the buttons I have a different opinion. I find them to be solid, but they do not stick up very much and can be hard to press.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by shockwave869
    About the buttons I have a different opinion. I find them to be solid, but they do not stick up very much and can be hard to press.
    Don't get me wrong. I think the buttons are fine. They feel as good as the M505s except for the up/down scroll buttons.
    -Mikedemo
    Thanks for the feedback about the buttons, folks. I went over to Best Buy this afternoon, and I agree with you -- only the up/down keys are noticeably poor. And once you've started using the Jog wheel, I'll probably never use them again.

I've made myself a promise: If HandSpring doesn't offer something with high-resolution (along the same lines as the way the Clie did it) during the NYC show week after next, I'm buying a Clie. (If I can find one... they were in and gone at Best Buy in a day!)

Oh, the thinkoutside.com site mentioned that Stowaway keyboards will be available for the Clie (and one of the Pocket PC models -- I forget the name ) in the very near future.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  20. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    For normal use (accessing built-in apps), the 4 main buttons are fine. The up-down buttons are poor -- too hard to push. However, for game playing, even the 4 main buttons leave something to be desired, being too flush with the case and not having very good 'feel' (they don't depress much). The m505 has better buttons for game playing in my opinion. That's too bad, since with the enhanced screen and audio capabilities of the Clie-n710c, it otherwise could be a great gaming device.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast