Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Originally posted by patwoods

OK, as an owner of both, what would you recommend? I love the clie, but I have the SoundsGood and the 8MB Flash modules with my DLX already. I also use NT at work, and MacOS at home.

I will be buying one of them next week, and I still haven't fully decided one way or the other. Although the sony is really tempting... I don't know. It's tough.
    A dam good question. I have the SoundsGood Audio player and it a good product. N710c's built-in player is sweet too. Upon playing with booth I found these differences.

Graphics
    The inerface of the Clie N710c screams hi-tech. It is chock full of features so at first it can be confusing. The Visual EQ is incredible and has three different views, its basically like the visualization in Windows Media player. Also the Sony has a reflective screen so it is easily viewed outside.

The SoundsGood AudioPlayer though not as flashy has an easier to understand interface from the start. Not too many controls. But not to little as well.

Transfering Music
    Both transfer music fast. Not sure which is faster. Though the neat thing is that the Clie AudioPlayer allows you to transfer more than just mp3 files. You view the MemoryStick like a removable drive. You can drag and drop apps on to the stick directly. The SoundsGood software to transfer files is great too. It doesn't get any easier with two devices around.

Sound
    The N710c has great sound. The hybrid headphones/earbuds that came with it reproduce sound like a sony.

The SoundsGood sounds just as good as the Sony and can pump out a bit more volume than the Clie. But the big advantage I found was that you can adjust the Bass and Treble, allowing you to get that exact ambiance you prefer. (I really wish the Clie AudioPlayer had this capability)

Battery drain
    I used FPS Utility Pro v4 to check battery levels

The clie did very well after an hours worth of playback with the front light on at 50%. It still registered 100% charge. Amazing!!!

The SoundsGood brought my Prism down to 90-95% at an hours worth of playing with the screen on at 25%. Keep in mind that this device can get louder and you can adjust the tone.

I feel they both have reasonble power drain here.

Overall
    The winner . . . neither. Both are good choices. Hooray for the consumer!!!

Weigh in how much you want to spend. What features are more important to you. If you want to stick with Springboard technology then go for the Prism. I still am very happy with it. If you want a thinner device with built in MP3 playback, Heck throw in a hi-res screen then go for the Clie. Mind you, it is expensive and not for the weak of wallets. The Sony Clie on average costs $499 (it includes an 8MB MemoryStick) and to really get some space for images and mp3s you'll need to buy 64MB or 128MB MS. I know that's Pocket PC territory but this baby in my opinion eats up the iPaq. The Visor Prism just dropped to an amazing $399. And Since you already have MP3 sprinboard, the Prism may be the logical choice.

I chose to move to the Clie for a couple of reasons, not just for the built in mp3 but I won't get into that now.

I say examine the both devices. Then Choose.

My Prim's Aftermath
    I am still very happy with my Prism and I plan on giving my Prism to my fiance so I can still see the the very rich color of the Prism . It'll come with a Backup module,8MB Flash Module, SoundsGood AudioPlayer and an Eyemodule.

She'll be upgrading from the VDX I used to own.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/11/2001 at 02:00 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    It's still not easy to decide - your help was very thorough though, and I will have a tough week ahead... to say the least!

Ya know, if I wasn't a mac person, this would be easy - the ipaq is almost a better deal at the $500 price point, except no mac syncing
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    [B]The clie did very well after an hours worth of playback with the front light on at 50%. It still registered 100% charge. Amazing!!!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    Originally posted by Toby

Communication. Link. Information. Entertainment.
    Do you know this for sure, or is that a really good guess?
    Originally posted by slotmachine
    Do you know this for sure, or is that a really good guess?
    He knows for sure. I can't remember where I saw it, but I have seen it before.
    slick
  7.    #47  
    Ya know, if I wasn't a mac person, this would be easy - the ipaq is almost a better deal at the $500 price point, except no mac syncing
    Do what I'm doing now. Eat cup of noodles or bring in your own lunch for a month or two. Eating out ain't exactly cheap in NYC

BTW:there is a Mac pac. Not sure if MemoryStick support is in there.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/11/2001 at 02:16 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    It's looking easier all the time! (unless HS pops out the color edge next week!)
    Exactly where I'm at. BTW, you would need the old Clie S300 serial cradle to sync with the Clie on NT4. (Bradhaak has provided excellent info on how to do this elsewhere.)

You probably knew that already, but I thought I'd check.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Originally posted by bookrats

Good news: CESD is putting HiRes support into Datebk4. He apparently really likes the Clie (and the Handera), and is getting the fine tuning into getting Datebk4 to work well with both.

Godd info. Thanks
    An update (paraphrasing CESD from his article in the pimleco discussion group on Yahoo:

He says that he has Datebk4 working using the Clie high resolution fonts without any extra work on Datebk4. However, being CESD, he has added code to the weekly views to use the Clie condensed font option to invoke a smaller, high-resolution font in those views. He gets a lot more text in the weekly views (1 week and 2 weeks) that way, and finds it makes these views much more useful.

It was a fair amount of work, though, and he doesn't intend to "condense" text with the other views -- the standard high res capabilities of the Clie work fine for those.

He is also rather frustrated with the Clie, because he's having big problems getting the Clie to sync with Win2000. Check out the link above for more details.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123