Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by Rob
    For normal use (accessing built-in apps), the 4 main buttons are fine. The up-down buttons are poor -- too hard to push. However, for game playing, even the 4 main buttons leave something to be desired, being too flush with the case and not having very good 'feel' (they don't depress much). The m505 has better buttons for game playing in my opinion. That's too bad, since with the enhanced screen and audio capabilities of the Clie-n710c, it otherwise could be a great gaming device.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were to come out with a joystick attachment for the Clie because games on the Clie might look better than on the Gameboy & maybe Gamboy advanced with the right devlopers programming for the device.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were to come out with a joystick attachment for the Clie because games on the Clie might look better than on the Gameboy & maybe Gamboy advanced with the right devlopers programming for the device.
    Thats true, Gameboy Advance's resolution is onl 240x160 - thats just like a stretched normal Palm screen?! It supports more colors but I think I may reconsider spending cash on the GBA and put it toward a newer high-res PDA.

On another note, both Sony & Microsoft have been rumored to be working on gaming systems based on their respective PDA OSes.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Thanks for the feedback about the buttons, folks. I went over to Best Buy this afternoon, and I agree with you -- only the up/down keys are noticeably poor. And once you've started using the Jog wheel, I'll probably never use them again.

I've made myself a promise: If HandSpring doesn't offer something with high-resolution (along the same lines as the way the Clie did it) during the NYC show week after next, I'm buying a Clie. (If I can find one... they were in and gone at Best Buy in a day!)

Oh, the thinkoutside.com site mentioned that Stowaway keyboards will be available for the Clie (and one of the Pocket PC models -- I forget the name ) in the very near future.
    I'm of the same mindset. I'll wait two months maybe to compare new models, but not six. When exactly is this NYC show and who sponsors it? What are some other likely dates for product announcements from the PDA vendors?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    But even if the mac and NT support is sketchy, I think I have a tough choice between it and the prism at this point. I toyed with one at BB Friday for about a half hour, and I agree with all the above comments, the only negatives are the spongy screen, and the button stiffness, which I would imagine would loosen up to be more comfortable in only a matter of weeks of use...

I didn't get to play with any movies or mp3s though since the dimwits at BB threw away the box and it must have been in there somewhere, the guy said they toss pretty much anything that isn't nailed to the device due to theft issues...

Plus I talked a guy out of a palm and into a Platinum for his fiancee cause she's a doctor, and all the medical reference on springboard was a natural fit... That was pretty cool!

I covet the sony now. I think I might have to sell the soundsgood and buy a memory stick..

Anyone have good information on mac/NT connectivity? What does the MarkSpace kit allow? Can you mount the memory stick on the desktop like on the PC???
    "Sony has arrived..."

...in magazine ads!

Seems like every glossy I page through (esp. Entertainment Weekly), there's a pic of the Clie. Looks like Sony is pushing really hard with this one: they know what they've got here is the best overall device on the market today: small, multimedia, PalmOS, expandable, etc. etc. Sony could really start to take over here...
    Brighthand (or dim, as FF taught me) is totally in love with the new clie, they've posted half a review:

http://www.brighthand.com/html/palmo...10c_page1.html

I think they're a little overoptimistic about the memorystick and other expansion, but who knows.
    The new Afterburner v3.0v is released which has support for the Clie. Anyone tried it yet?
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    The new Afterburner v3.0v is released which has support for the Clie. Anyone tried it yet?
    I haven't, but I read the Readme file for v3.0v -- there was a mention there that the MemoryStick interface didn't like being overclocked. He's looking into it, but it may take a while.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by patwoods
    Anyone have good information on mac/NT connectivity? What does the MarkSpace kit allow? Can you mount the memory stick on the desktop like on the PC???
    I've been investigating two items you mention; can't speak from firsthand experience, but:

1) It'll work with NT using the older PEG-S300 serial cradle. bradhaak (sp?) used that cradle and uses the existing Palm Desktop with the new Clie. I've seen this mentioned several times on the Yahoo Clie board as well.

2) As to the Memory Stick interface, Sony makes a USB memory stick interface, and one that does it via a floppy disk (!!) with a memory stick plug-in. The latter takes drivers, though; I understand they have Win95,98 and WinNT drivers, and maybe more.

But again, this is info gleaned from the Internet, not firsthand.
    Jeff Meyer

10.    #30  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Brighthand (or dim, as FF taught me) is totally in love with the new clie, they've posted half a review:

http://www.brighthand.com/html/palmo...10c_page1.html

I am in love with her too. This is day one of real world use. I got on the train and whipped out my PDA, But this time it was a Clie w/built in mp3 player, not my Prism with the SoundsGood Audio Player. The Clie sounded great and performed well as I was reading AvantGo advancing effortlesly through the article with the scroll wheel. AvantGo version 4.0 Build 823 supports the scroll wheel and the high-res text works too!!!(it's so easy on the eyes). The graphics on this baby are amazing. It's like going from TV to HD TV, it is that huge of a difference. And to think . . . Sony didn't put in the 16bit drivers yet!!!

As far as the standard palm apps the run just the same as any Palm but with High-res text as well. I really miss DateBook+ on my Visor . But I can get over it .

I have found many apps that support the higher resolution and they look great!! The ones that don't work with 320x320 look either too small and I mean tiny, in the the upper left corner and or it flat out locks up the device which can only be remedied with a rest. Within the Palm Preference there is a new menu item called "HiRes" which will force all apps to run in High Resolution but it allows you to hand pick which apps not run 320x320.(Smart move touch Sony)You'll need to test which apps work.

I can tell you this after using this Clie for a little more than two days. Handspring has got to put at least a Hi-res color screen, a scroll wheel and better sound in the next generation Visor.
    -Mikedemo
    As far as the standard palm apps the run just the same as any Palm but with High-res text as well. I really miss DateBook+ on my Visor . But I can get over it .
    Try out DB3 or DB4, you'll find them familiar & more powerful than DB+.
    I can tell you this after using this Clie for a little more than two days. Handspring has got to put at least a Hi-res color screen, a scroll wheel and better sound in the next generation Visor.
    I, too, covet the scroll wheel. Putting that and the back button was a great idea. I wish that avantgo had the same abilities built into the regular hard buttons (or at least cycling through the links)...

Congrats on your new sony, looks like a winner!
    As far as the standard palm apps the run just the same as any Palm but with High-res text as well. I really miss DateBook+ on my Visor . But I can get over it
    Good news: CESD is putting HiRes support into Datebk4. He apparently really likes the Clie (and the Handera), and is getting the fine tuning into getting Datebk4 to work well with both. (He did have some complaints about Sony's hi-res checkmarks in the ToDo app; he is apparently working around them.)
    Jeff Meyer

13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I, too, covet the scroll wheel. Putting that and the back button was a great idea. I wish that avantgo had the same abilities built into the regular hard buttons (or at least cycling through the links)...
    One small gripe about the n710c's scroll wheel is that it is a little low on the side for comfort (at least my comfort, although others have also complained about this). There may have been no way around it, because the top left edge is taken by the headset/remote control plugs, so they had to move the jog dial lower on the side. If you compare the position of the jog dial on the n710c to the one on the original Clie, you'll find that the latter is in a more natural position, all the way on the top left edge of the device, where your left thumb naturally rests when holding the PDA in your left hand. I either have to hold the Clie2 down at the very bottom to get my thumb to line up correctly, or hold it in my right hand and use my index or middle finger to scroll. Now I have slightly big hands, but I'm only 5'7", so many others are probably in the same boat as I am
  14.    #34  
    I just set up my Clie and Visor Prism at work. They both work fine. If you need to do this trick, read the steps I took at this thread.

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=15912

well I'm off to lunch. Gonna get a second cradle for my Clie.

BTW: The Clie and the Prism are the best color Palms IMHO
    -Mikedemo
    The Clie and the Prism are the best color Palms IMHO
    OK, as an owner of both, what would you recommend? I love the clie, but I have the SoundsGood and the 8MB Flash modules with my DLX already. I also use NT at work, and MacOS at home.

I will be buying one of them next week, and I still haven't fully decided one way or the other. Although the sony is really tempting... I don't know. It's tough.
  16. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by patwoods

OK, as an owner of both, what would you recommend? I love the clie, but I have the SoundsGood and the 8MB Flash modules with my DLX already. I also use NT at work, and MacOS at home.

I will be buying one of them next week, and I still haven't fully decided one way or the other. Although the sony is really tempting... I don't know. It's tough.
    I also own both, and I'd have to go with the Clie. It's smaller than the Prism, and has a better screen, built-in MP3 and jog dial, and even comes with a flip cover and 8MB memory stick. The disadvantages w.r.t. the Prism are: no springboard slot (but you only have 2 modules anyway), poorer buttons for game playing, and spongier screen (if that bothers you -- I personally prefer the harder screens of the prism or m505)
    You know I just realized that my soundsgood isn't even mac-native. I have to run VPC just to get songs onto the module. I hadn't even thought of that before!

I can sell the SG and the memory module and not miss anything since the clie has the 8mb mem stick and mp3 support built in!

It's looking easier all the time! (unless HS pops out the color edge next week!)
    Originally posted by bookrats

Good news: CESD is putting HiRes support into Datebk4. He apparently really likes the Clie (and the Handera), and is getting the fine tuning into getting Datebk4 to work well with both.
    Godd info. Thanks

[trivia]Who knows what does CLIE mean in english?[/trivia]
    The Clie sounded great and performed well as I was reading AvantGo advancing effortlesly through the article with the scroll wheel. AvantGo version 4.0 Build 823 supports the scroll wheel and the high-res text works too!!!(it's so easy on the eyes). The graphics on this baby are amazing.
    Man you really make me sick! I may be joining you very, very soon....

Does AvantGo support the mem stick?
    Originally posted by slotmachine

Godd info. Thanks

[trivia]Who knows what does CLIE mean in english?[/trivia]
    Communication. Link. Information. Entertainment.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast