1.    #1  
    There has been a lot of iPhone-like touch interfaces for WM phones over the last year, but PointUI promises to be the most complete and successful.

Featuring a lot of pastel colours, rounded corners and a kinetic interface, it should please all those who crave a bit of eye candy on their WM phone. It supports 240x240 and QVGA screens, but not VGA, and runs fine on a 200 Mhz processor.

Best of all its free.

Screen shots here, and free download here.
    http://www.pointui.com/Home.aspx

Surur
    I ran this on my 700wx for abour an hour, but ended up removing it. Here's why I took it off:

To me, this app is best suited for a device that has no physical keyboard always exposed - something like a 6800 or any of those all-screen devices would probably get the most use out of an app like this. But since the 700wx has the keyboard always there, and has the 5-way and the soft keys (Palm calls them 'action' keys) are all right there, easily accessible and available, I found that I was more used to using all of those keys, and didn't really like touching the screen.

Also - while the guys at PointUI have definitely done a great job at making the most out of this app, it still feels to me like it's 'bolted on' - meaning, their UI does a lot of the work, but not all of it (kind of like how the Touch works - you get deeper into the device, and the coolness goes away). If these guys could find a way to replace the ENTIRE UI of the device, then they might have something. but as it is now, their app does do some cool things, but it's not enough, at least for me and my one-handed use 700wx.

And that raises another point - I found that while using PointUI I was doing the iPhone thing - that is, holding the device in my left hand while using my index finger on my right hand to scroll and point around - totally breaking the one-handed-ness of my device. While the UI is indeed cool, I don't want to have to use two hands to do things. Yes, it's possible to use one hand, but it just didn't seem....I dunno - comfortable to me. Same with the iPhone - my niece has one and I did a lot of messing around with one over the holidays, and while cool, for sure, it's a two handed device for just about everything. Just not my cup of meat.

But hey - if someone has a 6800 or MDA or any of the big clunker devices, this app is probably perfectly suited for them (they're USED to using two hands/stylus to do a lot of things - lol).
  3.    #3  
    I agree that its definitely a case of style over efficiency (so very much like the iPhone, and for example my dedicated key for internet and mail does not work anymore. I've kept it my device though, as it has an auto-update feature, and I would like to see where it goes. One can however switch it of easily enough and return to the faster way of doing things.

Surur
    I am sure it will work as well as those XP expose clones.
    Looks nice, and I tend to agree with the user who said that it seems to fit more of a full-screen approach rather than those who have a slew of buttons at their disposal. User preference on that end wil determine its success, but its clear that the developers really sat and thought about what needs to happen and how to make it work efficiently.

I like the screen transistions as shown in the YT clip. They don't take a long time, and seem much less a distraction than some on the iPhone. Mike from Phone Different once talked about user flow and how transistions make that easier on the mind and eye, I think PointUI seems to get that point well made towards the WM audience.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I'm about a week into my AT&T Tilt and still using the standard interface. If I load this UI and don't like it, how easy is it to go back? Does it leave any problems in it's wake? How would you compare it to SPB Shell?

I'm brand new to WM after nearly 10 years on PalmOS. I can't say I like being a newb again.

Thanks,

McTreo
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo View Post
    I'm about a week into my AT&T Tilt and still using the standard interface. If I load this UI and don't like it, how easy is it to go back? Does it leave any problems in it's wake? How would you compare it to SPB Shell?

I'm brand new to WM after nearly 10 years on PalmOS. I can't say I like being a newb again.

Thanks,

McTreo
    Quite a few people have reported problems with uninstall, but they have quite good forums to help. Also the software at present is not set to start by default (although this can easily be changed) so if its giving you problems you will never be stuck with it after a soft reset.

Surur
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Pontui, as surur said, has a lot of eye-candy. However it still needs a bit of work for prime-time.

For example, there is no obvious way to access installed programs. It can be done, however, it is far from intuitive and rather convoluted.

The eye-candy is impressive, even for the relatively pedestrian processor found in the 700wx.

All in all, a worthwhile download if not for any other reason to see what your PDA is capable of. Pontui is a definite must to keep an eye on in future released.