1.    #1  
    I (finally) got a Clie today. Nice n' Small! But i am having problems with audio player. It says the memory stic (the one that came with the PDA), is invalid. The instictions say I need memory gate. What am i missing here?
    Which Clie do you have - N700C or N710C? (The N700C only plays ATRAC3 music files. The N710C will play both ATRAC3 and MP3 files.)

If you have the N710C, it sounds like you are trying to put the music on the purple MS in the ATRAC3 format. That format can only used with the white "MagicGate" MS. (note: Audio Player version 1.1 is pre-installed on the Clie. To play MP3's you need to install Audio Player 2.0)

to be continued (after I look something up)...
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"
    First you need to install the AudioPlayer update. Without the update you can only play atrac audio and so need the white secure mem sticks. After the update is installed, you can play MP3 files. There is actually a sample MP3 on the stick that comes with the Clie.

When you buy a new Memory Stick, you need to format it using MsGate. After it is formatted, use MsGate to create default folders.

To copy MP3 files directly to the Memory Stick, you need to install OpenMG Jukebox. This will install a driver on your PC so that you can browse the stick from Windows Explorer as a removable drive. You can also copy files, move files, etc. To enable it, put your Clie in the USB cradle. Then run the upgraded AudioPlayer and select 'Transfer' from the 'Options' menu. Copy, remove, etc. files using your PC, and you are ready to go.

I think that most of this is in the manual (but I never read it so I'm not sure).

Hope this works for you.
    (the following is for a computer running Windows)
    To put MP3's on the purple Memory Stick:
    • Install OpenMG Jukebox on computer
    • Install Audio Player 2.0 on Clie
    • Bring up Audio Player on the Clie
    • Place the Clie in the cradle
    • Tap the MENU button. Choose "Options", and then "Transfer". (you should see "Status: Ready to transfer" at the top.)
    • Double-click the My Computer icon on your computer. You should see a new Removable Drive.
    • Double-click on the Removable Drive icon.
    • Double-click on these folders: Palm>Programs>MSAudio
    • Drag and drop your MP3's into this folder. You'll see the musical notes move on the Clie.
    • Once the transfer is done, hit the Exit button on the Clie and remove it from the cradle. (The removable drive on the computer will disappear.)

Enjoy your music.
    HA - beat you.

Actually I am more than a little reassured that our steps are basically the same. I was doing it from memory and then putting the steps in the correct order 'cuz I kinda just experimented to get it to work. Since I wanted to keep my 4.01 desktop, I never ran Sony's setup program.
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    HA - beat you.
    Ppphhhht! ~blowing raspberries at you bradhaak~ (hee hee)

Yeah, we said the same thing. I started to delete my post after I saw yours, but decided not to because I had gone though all that trouble to make it pur-dy.
  7.    #7  
    it still gives me a message
    "the media is not available because it lacks copyright protection or is invalid"
    ???
    Check the version of AudioPlayer. Does it say v2.0? for a while after upgrading, I had two icons for AudioPlayer one ran the old version and one ran the new version. set your launcher to the 'All' category.
  9.    #9  
    still get the message
    Originally posted by shockwave869
    it still gives me a message
    "the media is not available because it lacks copyright protection or is invalid"
    ???
    What kind of file is it? MP3? Where did it come from?

If it's a MP3 file, did you try the "drag and drop" method, or are you trying to transfer the music using OpenMG or RealJukebox?
  11.    #11  
    thanks everyone got it working!
    Guys,

I just got my Clie and the Priism is already gatherings dust . ( I still love her though) And thanks for the MP3 player solution. the question I have is does Palm desktop 4.01 work with the Clie and if so, does the install directly to the external memory function work with the Clie like it does with the M505?
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    ...the question I have is does Palm desktop 4.01 work with the Clie and if so, does the install directly to the external memory function work with the Clie like it does with the M505?
    Not ignoring you - I just don't have an answer. I'm still running Palm Desktop 3.1 that I got with my Prism....
    Can you run Avantgo and play mp3s at the same time on the Clie? because for some reason I can't seem to do it.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Can you run Avantgo and play mp3s at the same time on the Clie? because for some reason I can't seem to do it.

I fgured it out guys. In the Audio Player preferences, choose "Enable background play".

BTW the Visual EQ is awsome. Sony is not playing around. The Audio Player on my Clie beats my SoundsGood Module all around except that the Clie doesn't allow for adjustment of the tone (Bass & treble).

I am loving this PDA more and more.
    -Mikedemo