1.    #1  
    I think most of the people who hang out in this forum are jaded smartphone users. By jaded I think people who have used so many phones that you know most of the features are bull**** and you are never going to use.

So I ask you, what is your ideal dream phone *in 2008's technology*? You can describe a phone in any shape and form that you want, in any OS that you want (assuming you are flithy rich and can ask somebody to custom make an OS for you), but it has to be something "doable" by HTC or whoever.

To me, my dream phone is actually a Centro shape device with thicker back that sports a 2000mAh battery. The CPU need to be twice as powerful (it exist already, its inside the iPhone). There need to be a build-in over clocker that dial up the speed at per application level. Also if possible a hardware A2DP module that doesn't eat into OS resource. And a browser that can enable java/javascript/css/flash in per domain level. And play all flash video smoothly not just youtube.

That's it! If I have something like that I will happily use the phone for years without wanting for more! A couple comment about the compromise I am making here:

* I am willing to sacrifice screen size for hard buttons and smaller overall size.

* I am willing to sacrifice thickness for bigger battery

* I don't think a touch screen only phone can be used as a 'work' phone.

* I don't believe in 'one screen size does it all' anymore. I rather have a small smartphone and a bigger nokia tablet-like companian I carry out 40% of the time.

What about yours?
  2.    #2  
    Oh and a SD card slot and 3.5mm jack damnit!
    Lets see how I use my smartphone, in order of priority:

1) Notes (work related)
    2) PIM (Calender, Contacts) (work and personal)
    3) Tethering (work and personal)
    4) Reference (work related)
    5) Internet (mostly personal)
    6) E-mail (work and personal)
    7) GPS (mostly personal)
    8) Music and Podcasts (personal)
    9) Video (personal)

So my essentials would a be a good keyboard to take notes, 3G for tethering, an open OS for my apps, storage and of course portable, with reasonable battery life.

This new device from Asus is pretty interesting, but it would have to run WM Pro with a touch screen, have the iPhone browser (but without the limitations of course), have lots of storage and GPS of course, and a much larger internal OLED screen, with 800x480 resolution.

I subscribe to Rhapsody, so i would want a native Rhapsody client. Also native podcast catcher.

Also I would want wireless charging via charging pads, with a matching bluetooth headset which does the same thing. Stereo speakers would not go amiss. Also a consumer-grade infra-red port on the top to use it as a universal remote, with optimized software included. Native Sideshow functionality.

In addition I want a good quality auto-focus camera with xenon flash and CCD sensor and high resolution video capture.

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/28/2007 at 08:21 AM.
    Nice question (doesn't this come up every 3 months or so though):

Hardware: give me everything that's on the N95-3, add a touchscreen and a QWERTY in the tilting mode of the HTC 8925/ATT Tilt - but buttons more like the E90's; and a battery that can last 1 day of office-heavy usage; 2GB of internal space to save stuff, microSDHC si vous plait aussi.

dang, that sounds like an E90 that's been tweaked, Nokia can ya hear a bro

Software: Start with the PalmOS, add WM's Today screen as the "control center" and smooth the edges with Symbian's Java implementation. Web-kit based browser, and an addressbook and calendar that can sync with every social network or exchange-type server setup with minimal fluff - aka, make it Palm OS connecting to a wifi hotspot simple. Attention to user flow and tap counts is key, after that, life is fair game.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    Surur a 800x480 screen convertible would make the phone same size as the HTC universal.

Also you really want a camera? A good camera-phone size CCD/CMOS censor doesn't exist yet. Every time I felt like I need to take a picture I was in a moving vehicle, only the few digicams that have shake reduction build in can do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Surur a 800x480 screen convertible would make the phone same size as the HTC universal.
    Not necessarily true. The Toshiba G900 has a 800x480 screen, and the screen is only 3 inches big.
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=707

Also you really want a camera? A good camera-phone size CCD/CMOS censor doesn't exist yet. Every time I felt like I need to take a picture I was in a moving vehicle, only the few digicams that have shake reduction build in can do the job.
    Thats why its a dream phone Some-one some day will do it.

Surur
    Some of these "dream" smartphones aren't much of an upgrade of the current stuff. I really don't see the appeal of a gps if you got one already. There is such a thing as asking too much from a device. What if you want to make a call, but you're depending on it for directions, while slinging and all that? LOL

I sometimes think people are losing sense of what is useful and practical.

To me, the big things in a "smartphone" are

1. Internet browser
    2. of course the contacts/notes/calendar/email
    3. screen
    4. music
    5. video
    6. stereo BT

Ability to tether used to be important and is still handy to have even if you already have the sprint data card. I still think the GPS could be a nice compliment for your other apps like marking locations where pics were taken, sending waypoints to standalone GPS unit, etc.

http://flickr.com/photos/21179102@N07/2122946597/
    http://flickr.com/photos/maistora/2136512056/

No good camera-phone sensors? I think not.
    A Multitasking Palm OS Treo handset with full GPS.
  10.    #10  
    eguy..
    Well... under ideal lighting condition (for example a F/8 ISO200 exposure) you can take good picture with any camera, including $6 throw away camera.
    A Palm/Linux OS treo with GPS, Wifi, WiMax ready, and a new attractive sleeker form factor. If this dream will come true...I am willing to wait and keep using my brick.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Treo 750 PLUS:
    Treo 750 form factor - same height/width, but 15mm thick
    WM6.1 Professional
    Triband UMTS/HSDPA; Quadband GSM/EDGE
    320x320 2.6" FLUSH screen
    400mhz Processor
    Real GPS
    BT 2.0
    WiFi (not really necessary)
    128mb RAM
    2gb internal memory (but will settle for the standard 256mb ROM)
    microSD expansion slot
    miniUSB charger
    3.0mp camera with LED flash
    Less than 5oz
    1500mAH removable battery or better
    Scrollwheel/DPAD like on the Samsung Blackjack II
    Extra hardware buttons

All of this is not only possible, but available on some upcoming models such as the Samsung i780 - except it doesn't have US AT&T friendly bands (3G or GSM) which is a shame.