1.    #1  
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my ATT upgrade path over the next 18 months. I'm currently using an unlocked Treo 680 and am eligible right now for an upgrade. I'm definitely sticking with ATT. I prefer big screens and a real keyboard. Choices:

1. Get the Centro when it comes out - likely in a month or so - and use it to bridge the time to Palm Linux in (hopefully) early '09. My next upgrade would be July or so of '09. Not a lot gained over the 680, however, except the form factor and updates to DTG and PTunes - two programs I use daily that would cost me $50+ to upgrade to the versions on the Centro. Pros: dirt cheap, smaller phone. Cons: nothing really new, small screen.

2. Wait for GSM Treo 800. This could be awhile, I think. Even if the 800 launches in February for CDMA, it'll probably be June at the earliest for GSM. That puts my next upgrade near the beginning of 2010 - a lifetime in smartphone years. Pros: phone seems to be the perfect WM phone. Cons: new OS, long wait, WM sluggishness (my biggest gripe).

3. Do nothing. Hang on to the 680 (which is working perfectly) and hope something comes along in the next 6 months. Problem is, there aren't many secrets in the smartphone world and I haven't heard of anything particularly intriguing. I'd be interested in a GSM Touch or something like that, but haven't heard of it coming to ATT.

4. Go in circles, change my mind every day, complain about WM but keep checking out all the choices, hack and re-hack Palm OS go get it do what I want, etc. until I somehow have an epiphany on what to do next.

Any sage words are appreciated!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my ATT upgrade path over the next 18 months.........
    Personal preferences are so varied that I doubt anyone could really give you a satisfactory answer. I'd love to get an AT&T phone but where I live, only Verizon and Alltel give a good signal (even that is iffy at times) so I just can't. If I could I'd go in for a Tilt. With SpB software to help run the OS better, such as truly closing out programs you x'd out of, for instance, I believe that WM6 could be a really good option. Palm OS is dead..(long live Palm OS!!) With your 680, you have trusty stable Palm OS, but no 3G, and no GPS.
    For me, the cost of data packages seems astronomical. Good heavens, after paying for high speed Internet at home and my private office, I can't see paying yet another broad-band bill. Tethering is the most expensive.

So I'd like a smartphone, and by default it'll have to be WinMob. GPS built in to run navigation just on days I need it for $3 a day, and phone, plus other features of a smartphone but not data...don't need it. Or on a per day basis while traveling. HTC Touch Cruise would be great; I see it coming to AT&T by mid 2008. Hopefully Verizon by end of 08.

Roger
    This device is a killer, and who knows, a version may come to AT&T.

Its the Samsung i780. GPS, wifi, HSDPA, 320x320 touch screen. It has it all. Really cool device, but does not have US bands at present.
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=866

Surur
    unfortunately it's WM though..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Most of the new phones coming up that are worth a darn are either WM or BB. Look at the Curve if you just hate WM that bad. And, IMO, you might as well go for the new iPhone as the Centro - that itty bitty kb is just that - little!
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Have you thought about the Tilt? I have recently left the Treo and am liking my Tilt a lot. If you're not married to the Treo form factor it might be worth a look. I liked the Treo style a lot myself, but I don't mind the slider either.

Just some background on me: I have been a Palm OS power user for 8 years, but very unhappy with the lack of innovation software-wise for about 5 years. The saga of the 700p and Verizon's inability to fix it even after two years-late firmware updates, and their inability to release a new smartphone -- any smartphone -- led me to jump ship with 21 months remaining in my contract.

I hate the Windows Mobile UI, but Palm is obsolete and buggy, and the iPhone is wonderful to use, but doesn't really do anything. So I chose WM as the lesser of 3 evils. I don't think the choices in the smartphone world are particularly good right now. What we really need is a device that has a UI like Apple's, the focus on quick access to data of Palm OS, and the power and customization of WM.

I hope in 2008 somebody will get it all right in one device. But you're right, new phones are known about way in advance, and so far nothing exciting is on the horizon. Something really good is probably a long way off.
    I'm in the same boat with my Treo 650. I guess I'll stick with it until something comes along that is worth upgrading for. Good news is, if I drop it in the toilet I can get another one for cheap. It is very stable, and it does everything I need.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Stick with your 680 until something new comes out - and stuffing the old and tired Palm OS 5.xx isn't anything new. Either wait for the next WM6.1 Treo (should be 6.1 with a lot of "shell" enhancements) or wait for the linux Palm OS that won't be out until '09 sometime.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I was in the same boat last week. I have been using Palms, and have been a big-time Palm fanboy, for for almost a dacade. I have probably sold more Treos than most Palm store employees. However, the specs and capabilities of the Tilt made me do some research. Based on Wifi, Simultanious voice/data, bt2.0, built in GPS chip, et al, I decided to buy it for a 30 day trial. I had a really hard time doing it. I almost broke into a cold sweat. I've only had it 5 days and, while it is not as simple as Palm, it can do so much more. If I can get used to the work flow of the OS, it's going to be really hard to return it.

Would I change my name to McTilt?
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air. I think I'd probably like the new Nova - but I'm betting summer of of '09 before it's actually available. That's a long time and I'm eligible for an upgrade now.

I played with the Moto Q Global yesterday. Not bad at all, but I'm wondering about being able to go without the touchscreen. It is actually well-designed for one-handed use but I'm not sure of the limitations of Standard vs. Pro.

So, now I'm wondering if I go with the Q Global or the Centro which should be out within a week or two. Centro would a nice form factor (though small screen) and I have lots of software for it, but the OS is dead and no improvements are expected. I'm sick of hacking every little aspect to get it how I want.

The Q seems to work very well, but I don't want to be limited by WM Standard and I'm a little worried about document editing, something I do quite a bit of. Is there a way to hack the GPS to make it usable without TeleNav? That may be a sway me....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air. I think I'd probably like the new Nova - but I'm betting summer of of '09 before it's actually available. That's a long time and I'm eligible for an upgrade now.

I played with the Moto Q Global yesterday. Not bad at all, but I'm wondering about being able to go without the touchscreen. It is actually well-designed for one-handed use but I'm not sure of the limitations of Standard vs. Pro.

So, now I'm wondering if I go with the Q Global or the Centro which should be out within a week or two. Centro would a nice form factor (though small screen) and I have lots of software for it, but the OS is dead and no improvements are expected. I'm sick of hacking every little aspect to get it how I want.

The Q seems to work very well, but I don't want to be limited by WM Standard and I'm a little worried about document editing, something I do quite a bit of. Is there a way to hack the GPS to make it usable without TeleNav? That may be a sway me....
    Modaco has released a utility which makes the GPS available on any normal com port.
    http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartp...on-Smartphone/

You can do document editing on WM 6 Standard Smartphone, but if you are really worried about document editing, you can get DocsToGo for WM smartphone.
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ile/index.html

Surur
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Modaco has released a utility which makes the GPS available on any normal com port.
    http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartp...on-Smartphone/

You can do document editing on WM 6 Standard Smartphone, but if you are really worried about document editing, you can get DocsToGo for WM smartphone.
    http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ile/index.html

Surur
    Thanks for the link on the GPS thing - nice!

The Q Global comes with DTG already - one of the reasons I'm interested in it. It also comes with Opera, another nice bonus.

Decisions, decisions....
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If you are content with your 680, then stop looking so hard. When something jumps off the screen at you that says "you can't live without it" then research the stew out of it and if everything looks alright, then move.

I wouldn't look at WM as something bad. It's far more stable that Palm OS and if you don't want/need all the bells and whistles of WM pro, there's WM Standard (BJII, Moto Q9, etc).

I've used both and while Palm has a level of appeal, the instability was just too difficult to get past.

As someone mentioned, WM and BB are the front runners these days. I like BB but I'm not willing to pay more to get data services. HP is coming out with some interesting devices as well as the Samsung mentioned above.

Upgrading for upgrading sakes is just a waste. If there's not a compelling reason, take your time.