Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    *THE FOLLOWING IS BASED OFF OF INFORMATION I HAVE VIEWED, NOT A FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. THERE IS NO GARUNTEE OF THE FOLLOWING TO BE 100% TRUE*

-------

When I started out forming an opinion on stuff, Sony was on my good side. I guess it was that way back then they used to make good products. However, the recent crappiness of Sony products (rusted headphones, poor wiring, defective parts) has turned me away.

However, the more I read about the new CLIE, the more I thought it could be the one thing that stopped my hatred for Sony's garbage.

Maybe next time.

My new issue of "Macconnection" arrived today. And on the back cover, there was the new color Clie! Going to look up more on it (there wasn't any) , I soon found out why. There's little black text underneath it that said it only ran on Windows 98/ME platforms.

This COULD have been a typo. (Have you ever heard of a Palm VIII ?? How about these three colors for the Handspring Edge: Blue & Silver??? )

BUT, if it is NOT mac compatible, Sony could be shooting itself in the foot. Knowing how this device is focused mostly around multimedia nuts, and knowing that the word "mac" and "multimedia" go together like "coca" and "cola" , this would not be an intelligent move at all.

Please tell me Sony had the intelligence to support the best multimedia platform there is!!!!

(Note: Paying an extra $120.00 for Virtual PC doesn't cut it!)
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    You can purchase the Clie MacPack from Mark/Space for $30.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    That really disappoints me in Sony. They should take advantage of the Mac Market and include the Mac Pack with it for goodness sake.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  4.    #4  
    Street Price: I could get an M505 for $100.00 less than a CLIE + MacPac.

I can buy an Mp3 player for $100.00 ..........................
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Hell, what about everyone that uses Win2k, XP, Mac OS 9, X, and Linux users?

My guess is that there are a few Clie-only software packages that only work on Win98...but the rest would certainly work. It IS a Palm OS device, so it should sync just fine with any Palm Desktop software.

That said, it is stupid of them not to support a broader array of platforms.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Palm Inc, should make those who license their software to submit their own drivers for all platforms so when they (Palm) make a new version/release, they have the option of drivers right there!

my $.02 so we don't have to buy something else.
    "support" and "works with" are two different things. If they only officially support a narrow group of users, it means a lot less tech support they have to do ("I'm sorry, we don't support Win2k").
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  8.    #8  
    "Windows 98 / ME ONLY"

Exact words.
    "Windows 98 / ME ONLY"

Before going ballistic, a suggested interpertation of the above words:

The new Clie only has a USB interface -- there is no standard serial cradle for the Clie. (At least I couldn't find on on the Clie accessory page on sony.com.)

That means that Windows systems that don't support USB (like NT 4 and Win95) wouldn't be listed as supported -- which is what I think the article might have been driving at.

The article should have mentioned Windows 2000 and the Mac, since they both have USB interfaces. But, someone may have screwed up in Advertising.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    All of the drivers and software run fine on Win2K also. I am going to pick up the Mac pack, but I suspect that it will only do synchronization. I will be very surprised if it adds the nifty removable disk to memstick feature to the Mac.
    Originally posted by bookrats
    "Windows 98 / ME ONLY"

The new Clie only has a USB interface -- there is no standard serial cradle for the Clie. (At least I couldn't find on on the Clie accessory page on sony.com.)

That means that Windows systems that don't support USB (like NT 4 and Win95) wouldn't be listed as supported -- which is what I think the article might have been driving at.
    The serial cradle from the S300 works fine with the N710C. Also, you can use Palm's generic 4.01 software for synching with serial or USB (that's what I am doing). I actually never ran Sony's software install. Instead I just added various drivers and software until I got the features that I wanted combined wwith the newer desktop.
    Originally posted by bradhaak

The serial cradle from the S300 works fine with the N710C. Also, you can use Palm's generic 4.01 software for synching with serial or USB (that's what I am doing). I actually never ran Sony's software install. Instead I just added various drivers and software until I got the features that I wanted combined wwith the newer desktop.
    Thanks greatly for that info! Hmmm... now I am beginning to think about a Clie....

BTW, going to the Clie Spec Page at Sony.com shows that Win2k is indeed supported.
    Jeff Meyer

has anyone with a clie verified this?
    Originally posted by shockwave869
    Verify what? NT compatable? or MAC compatible?
    Fat's
    Originally posted by shockwave869
    If you are talking about the things that I said, I have a Clie and wouldn't have said them if they weren't true.
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    Also, you can use Palm's generic 4.01 software for synching with serial or USB (that's what I am doing). I actually never ran Sony's software install. Instead I just added various drivers and software until I got the features that I wanted combined wwith the newer desktop.
    Quick question: Any signs of the AvantGo problem that has occured with Desktop 4.01 and Visors?

Thanks greatly for all this info! You may have added another Clie owner to the ranks.
    Jeff Meyer

Don't know. I hate AvantGo.

Nothing specific, just personal preference, but it is definitely not on any of my organizers.
  18.    #18  
    This was in *MAC CONNECTION* .

They were using that to point out the fact that it doesn't run on Macs.
    Originally posted by bblue
    This was in *MAC CONNECTION* .

They were using that to point out the fact that it doesn't run on Macs.
    Doesn't natively run on Mac. I'm sure something could be jerry-rigged to work.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  20.    #20  
    That's very true. You could probably shell out $120.00 for Virtual PC.

I'll bet you can hotsync the regular stuff, but I think you're SOL on Audio unless you get VPC.

And even then, what's the point? By the time You've shelled out for a memorystick, uh, you could buy an M505 , And a Rio 500! Tape em together, and you'll probably have the same form factor!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast