Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Well, I'm seriously contemplating switching to this. I mean it has a 3.2 MP camera with LED flash, WiFi, 3G, 160 MB RAM, QWERTY keyboard goodness (apparently the rocker keys aren't too bad when you get used to them). It has a bit of a slow processor at 200 mhz though.

Here's the phone:

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...s/overview/p1i

Here's some reviews:

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/...on-p1-en.shtml

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...d_hardware.php

I can get the phone on a very good 12 month contract, so the price isn't an issue.

I'm a long time Palm user and bought my first one (M505) in 2002. So i have a lot of applications as you'd expect (actually I just counted 144 icons on zLauncher). Although when you get down to it I only really 'regularly' use the following:

DateBk6
    Resco Backup+
    DocumentsToGo
    eReader (I have over 50 books)
    Memos
    Mobile DB
    MSDict
    PocketTunes Deluxe
    PowerOne Graph
    SnapperMail
    SplashID
    SplashMoney
    SplashShopper
    Tasks
    TomTom Navigator
    ZipCAD Pro

Most of these are pretty indispensable to me. I know that TomTom works, SplashID is available, memos and tasks should be OK, eReader is OK. I need to look into the others. A big pain is SplashMoney- I love that app.

Any switchers here who've tried both Palm and Symbian? Palm software has practically stopped being developed AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Hardware$ $specs$ $are$ $a$ $joke$ $compared$ $to$ $other$ $manufacturers$. $Symbian$ $software$ $seems$ $well$ $supported$.

It would be a shame to switch, but I don't think Palm can cut the mustard any more. There are so many better products out there now.

What are peoples thoughts on the P1i- bearing in mind my circumstances?
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    This is quite funny, it seems like over the years I've been keeping up to date with SE's new releases!

SE M600 http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=symbian

SE P990 http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=symbian

SE P910 http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=symbian

And it looks like I've been asking the same sort of questions But hey things change....
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

It's java enabled so you can get free books packaged up as java programs from http://www.booksinmyphone.com Their reader is geared to maximizing the usefullness of smaller phone screens. You can install direct to the phone from their mobile website.

Do the treo's have a J2ME environment, I thoguht I heard that they did
    The P1 is a really good buy. If they only made US 3G-friendly versions of this and the W960i, I'd been gave up my Treo.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    My impressions....

You can't really fault the hardware. It's sleek and well built. Wi-fi (makes surfing the net plausible even on such a small screen). 3.2 MP camera with 2 x LED flashes, ample memory. The processor on paper seems slow at 208 mhz but it has some fancy 3D add-on that speeds things up. Slowly getting to grips with the scroll wheel but I would prefer a D-pad and soft buttons at the top. I also miss the ringer switch.

Multi-tasking is a boon. Being able to switch from the opera web browser to messaging and still go back to the same page is fab It is also very stable and I've had no resets even when trying out new software.

My greatest disappointment is the amount of decent software out there for Symbian UIQ3. For some reason SplashData don't support UIQ3 so I've had to find an equivalent to SplashID (HandySafe). There is no decent finance software out there for Symbian. I'm currently trying FlyingMoney and Jabp (freeware java app) but neither are any where near as polished as SplashMoney.

Another oddity is that eReader does not support UIQ3. This means that I am now using Mobipocket. The annoying thing is that my 60 eReader books are now trapped on either my computer or Treo because I can't view them on the SE P1i.

So in a nutshell, I'm pleased I made the jump, just to try another more advanced OS. But I am disappointed with the available software. This means that I still need to keep my old Treo 680 running for some applications at the moment!

Only problem with this phone (at least in the U.S) is that data is only limited to GPRS, no Edge. If you're in Europe, then you get all the UMTS goodness.
    I have played with this phone and it was nice. It's even sold at CompUSA. Keyboard is weird at first but very usable, but main squabble is that aside from rocker switch, there are no hard keys, not even a D-pad.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Yes but its also a 3G phone
    so edge is not a limitation and it also has wifi
    Quote Originally Posted by blissful View Post
    Yes but its also a 3G phone
    so edge is not a limitation and it also has wifi
    EDGE is a limitation if you are in the US and want 3G; its only 3G when not in the US side of 3G frequencies.

That's the problem with Symbian be it UIQ or s60.The 3rd party Software is of a low standard.Sure their's a barrowload for s60 but have you seen the quality?So called Multimedia computers that can't play some of the most popular formats.Browsers that have limited options,ridiculous torrent clients that are next to useless,office suites that are miles behind the likes of softmaker Office.Would you buy a top of the range PC that could only install programs made for windows 95?That's what it's like using SE UIQ handsets and to a certain degree the n-series too.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    After more time with this handset it does have some very annoying quirks.

1. The built-in calendar app struggles with a large number of entries. I get out of memory errors when searching through it. It can take 3 or 4 minutes to carry out a search.

2. Backups don't backup everything! After my second firmware update I've had to practically reinstall everything again. You have to reinstall apps that are stored on the memory card, theme, sound and registration info. S60 handsets appear to have a full backup utility built-in. UIQ 3 can only backup calendar and tasks- large calendar files don't restore properly if at all. A calendar restore has taken 20 minutes before now.

3. The 3rd party software that's available is sooo poor compared to Palm, but the built-in stuff is probably of a higher quality.

4. The OS doesn't let you look at system files or resource files. I still have no idea why it files things where it does.

On the plus side Styletap are releasing their symbian/ palm app emulator this quarter I'll hopefully be smacking splashmoney, ereader, mobile db and splash shopper on it for a start!

Quote Originally Posted by photon1 View Post
    That's the problem with Symbian be it UIQ or s60.The 3rd party Software is of a low standard.Sure their's a barrowload for s60 but have you seen the quality?So called Multimedia computers that can't play some of the most popular formats.Browsers that have limited options,ridiculous torrent clients that are next to useless,office suites that are miles behind the likes of softmaker Office.Would you buy a top of the range PC that could only install programs made for windows 95?That's what it's like using SE UIQ handsets and to a certain degree the n-series too.
    QuickOffice, DTG, Nokia Browser, Opera (UIQ), Opera Mini, tons of Java ME apps... S60 devices are just as capable and have just as much quality and non-quality software; the thing is that most aren't used to them nor the user experience/interface. Its differernt.

I've done the N75 since Dec, with a few before getting it, and the N81 8GB since; they aren't bad, but could learn a good bit in terms of UI design.