1.    #1  
    As you may already know, the new SONY Clie has a separate graphic controller chip, the MediaQ (MQ1100) chip, to handle the Clie's 320x320 resolution. The MQ1100 also support 16-bit colors, but the Sony only advertised the Clie as 8-bit.

This turns out to be a limitation of the Palm 3.5 OS, in other words, the Clie has the hardware capabilty to support 16-colors. The people at Red Mercury has a downloadable program the enable the Clie to display 16-bit on a test screen.

Check here: http://www.red-mercury.com/sixteen.html

Basically, if SONY will provide a their modified version of the Palm 4.0 OS, the Clie will display both 320x320 resolution and 16-bit colors.
    Fat's
    I knew it!!

Great scoop FM
    WOW!!!
    Maybe Handspring will beat Sony to the punch and come out with a reflective 320x320 16bit color Edge.

Remember the Prism was the first 16 color Palm OS device.
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/07/2001 at 09:35 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I hope so!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    I hope that Sony is going to release a PalmOS 4 patch for the N710C with 16-bit support.
    Now we know that graphics processor and display do support high color mode.

But i don't expect a 320x320 16bit Edge from Handspring. Handspring has always developed something new, like the Springboard slot or 16bit color.
    Such a color Edge would only be a improvement of another device (Clie). The only difference would be the smaller form factor. Handspring would have to include the Clie's MP3 capabilities, the Jog Dial, the graphics processor and, of course, the high-res screen.

It must be something new . What about an OLED device? Is this possible? An OLED could provide high resolution at a small form factor - suitable for the Edge.
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I just got my n710c on Tuesday, but I've been busy at JavaONE, so haven't had much time to play with it yet (I'll post some impressions later tonight). At first, I was disappointed in this 16-bit 320x320 test app, since the first few screens are just test patterns. But after those, there were a few AMAZING images of stars, nebulae, galaxies, etc. The high resolution combined with the increased color depth really makes a huge difference! I have played with the included clie photo software, and high-res images at 8-bit color definitely beats out lower-res at 16-bit color, but if this app is any indication, 16-bit high-res photo albumns are going to kick a$$!!! I sure hope Splash Photo takes advantage of this! Even if the processor can't handle fast-moving 16-bit 320x320 graphics intensive games or videos, it could definitely support some great photo album apps!
    You would think that if Sony went to all the trouble to add a higher resolution, include a chip for graphics, a chip for MP3, add a jog dial, etc... that they could also patch 3.5 (Like Handspring did) to display 16-bit.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    So, who do we email to ask if Sony will do such a thing? Isn't sony slow or hesitant about software upgrades? And why didn't they just patch it in there to begin with? Is it possible that there may be a 3rd party, possibly freeware patch in development?
    Who wants to bet Sony will **** people off in a month announcing a Clie 810c maybe? And it'll have 16bit color from the start.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I really don't think Sony only supported 256 colors by accident. Obviously, they had to make a compromise for the sake of processing speed -- manipulating 65K colors or manipulating quadruple the number of pixels on the screen.

I am not an engineer, but I can only imagine that combining both 320x320 and 16-bit color would have brought us back to the speed of the original Palm Pilots.

If anyone knows differently, I would be happy to hear.

Also, is anyone really doing anything on their Clie that the 256 colors at 320x320 would really look that much better in 16-bit. Pictures on my Clie look pretty amazing in 256 colors. . .Just my 2 cents.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Who wants to bet Sony will **** people off in a month announcing a Clie 810c maybe? And it'll have 16bit color from the start.
    I really think that Sony will release the Palm OS 4.0 upgrade rather than releasing another handeld.

I think that the next Clie will have the new Motorola ARM processor. The ARM will have built-in memory stick support which will make the Clie a lot more versitile, may even approach the versitility level of Springboards (I think).
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 06/08/2001 at 12:01 AM.
    Fat's
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Wahoo
    I really don't think Sony only supported 256 colors by accident. Obviously, they had to make a compromise for the sake of processing speed -- manipulating 65K colors or manipulating quadruple the number of pixels on the screen.

I am not an engineer, but I can only imagine that combining both 320x320 and 16-bit color would have brought us back to the speed of the original Palm Pilots.

If anyone knows differently, I would be happy to hear.

Also, is anyone really doing anything on their Clie that the 256 colors at 320x320 would really look that much better in 16-bit. Pictures on my Clie look pretty amazing in 256 colors. . .Just my 2 cents.
    Well, Sony sorta bypass that problem by utilizing a separate processor chip (MQ1100) to handle the 320x320 resolution and the 16-bit color. Using this method, the Clie's main processor (33mhz dragonball) is require to do a lot less work and therefore less impact on over-all system speed.

If you would try 320x320 resolution and 16-bit on an m505, which utilized its main processor for it graphic functions, the m505 will most likely slow to a crawl.
    Fat's
    Here is a link to a Brighthand thread. According to an article "bearballz" found in Handheld computing, the CLIE flash may only be upgradeable at a service center.

Does anyone know anything about this?
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.