This may be because the Edge is not selling so well, and Handspring is trying to boost their sales.

or...

Handpspring is trying to move the Edge to reduce inventory to set up the pending release of their next Visor?
    Fat's
  2.    #3  
    I guess it only appeals to PDA enthusiasts?
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    This may be because the Edge is not selling so well, and Handspring is trying to boost their sales.

or...

Handspring is trying to move the Edge to reduce inventory to set up the pending release of their next Visor?
    I believe that the real reason is that earnings for this quarter are going to be lower than expected because of the ecconimic downturn. Therefor they are trying to cut costs by shipping out exess inventory.

The thing about the rebate is that it's really a trade-in allowance like in cars. You have to give them your old Palm Pilot or other PDA. This is brilliant for two reasons:

1. Even if it's at a loss, they are gaining market share at a 2x rate. (each non-handspring customer who switches takes away a user from the other categories since they have to give-up thier old device.)

2. It clears out inventory reducing overhead.

Just my $.0314159
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    It's interesting that the trade-in doesn't apply to the Prism. As a consumer, that's the only exchange that would've been desirable for me. I don't know if the deal speaks well for the Prism or poorly for the Edge.

Originally posted by Black_Dragon
    Even if it's at a loss, they are gaining market share at a 2x rate. (each non-handspring customer who switches takes away a user from the other categories since they have to give-up thier old device.)
    Good point. If I were Handspring, I'd still want to get a better margin after the trade-in and sell a Prism. My guess is that the Edge will retail for $349 by October, while the Prism may drop to $399 by December.
    Originally posted by Black_Dragon

The thing about the rebate is that it's really a trade-in allowance like in cars. You have to give them your old Palm Pilot or other PDA.
    Just my $.0314159
    I don't think that is correct.
    The following paragraph is cut and pasted from
    http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...spring_dc.html
    ----------------------------------------------------
    By entering identifying data into the Handspring's site, owners of older Visor models will be able to score the rebate instantly, and still keep their current model. Mountain View, Calif.-based Handspring suggests those users pass the model over to a friend or family member.

``We don't want old Visors back,'' said a Handspring spokesman. ``That continues to maintain our customer base, if not expand it.''
    ------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

It's interesting that the trade-in doesn't apply to the Prism. As a consumer, that's the only exchange that would've been desirable for me.
    I must admit I was a little dissapointed about this too. I have been using my VDX much more heavily over the past few months and have begun yearning for an upgrade in speed. At the same time, if I upgrade, I also want get color. I'm still hoping for a price drop on the Prism.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    [...] My guess is that the Edge will retail for $349 by October, while the Prism may drop to $399 by December.
    You were at least 25% right. The Prism's dropped 6 months early.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I wonder how long it will take the price to roll over to 320-340 on the "gray market".
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    time to get rid of my pilot 5000...
    << yes, indeed >>
    Originally posted by Toby
    You were at least 25% right. The Prism's dropped 6 months early.
    I forgot to complete the last part of the sentence. It should end, "while the Prism may drop to $399 by December or today"

I forgot to complete the last part of the sentence. It should end, "while the Prism may drop to $399 by December or today"
    LOL!!
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.