1.    #1  
    While reading the Smartphone Round Robin, I was surprised to discover that a Blackberry can do more than corporate e-mail. After much research and thought, I decided to order a BB Curve 8310.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/made-switch-treo-9986/

This is a tough choice, because I have always been a Palm fan (Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 650) and I have hundreds invested in Palm OS software. But I have come to realize that the BB Curve is what the Treo 755P should be, and that Palm is not likely to begin innovating soon. I'll keep an eye on Palm, but it will take a lot to get me back.
    They're great devices if you don't need 3rd party apps to get you through your day. Say no to bricks if you don't.

Enjoy
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Might be true depending on your needs.

When I got my Curve, I was pleasantly surprised that much of the 3rd party functionality I bought for my 300/600/650/700p was already builtin (Butler, ProfileCare, mSafe, PasswordsPlus, TCPMP, Causerie) and some (LudusP, MemInfo, OffFlush, ResetDoctor, RLock, Trace) I no longer needed because the OS/hardware was stable.

BB versions of WorldMate, OnDemand/PocketExpress, Viigo (RSS), GMM, Nav4All, Beyond411 (DirAssist) are all free and effective replacements for what I had on the 700p. Once DocsToGo (1Q08) and SlingPlayer (rumored) come out, I'll have all the functionality I had on the 700p.

Sure, not all of the builtin apps have as many options for tweaking like 3rd-party apps and do I sometimes miss the bigger opportunity (on POS) to play with new apps. To be honest there hasn't been much interesting to play with on POS over the last year or so, so there isn't that much to miss.

For me, it's been a worthwhile, cost effective, tradeoff between opportunity to play vs stability and reliability. Not to mention the Curve fits in my shirt pocket. I've said no to bricks.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    While reading the Smartphone Round Robin, I was surprised to discover that a Blackberry can do more than corporate e-mail. After much research and thought, I decided to order a BB Curve 8310.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/made-switch-treo-9986/

This is a tough choice, because I have always been a Palm fan (Kyo 6035, Kyo 7135, Treo 650) and I have hundreds invested in Palm OS software. But I have come to realize that the BB Curve is what the Treo 755P should be, and that Palm is not likely to begin innovating soon. I'll keep an eye on Palm, but it will take a lot to get me back.
    Buh-bye!
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Might be true depending on your needs.

When I got my Curve, I was pleasantly surprised that much of the 3rd party functionality I bought for my 300/600/650/700p was already builtin (Butler, ProfileCare, mSafe, PasswordsPlus, TCPMP, Causerie) and some (LudusP, MemInfo, OffFlush, ResetDoctor, RLock, Trace) I no longer needed because the OS/hardware was stable.

BB versions of WorldMate, OnDemand/PocketExpress, Viigo (RSS), GMM, Nav4All, Beyond411 (DirAssist) are all free and effective replacements for what I had on the 700p. Once DocsToGo (1Q08) and SlingPlayer (rumored) come out, I'll have all the functionality I had on the 700p.

Sure, not all of the builtin apps have as many options for tweaking like 3rd-party apps and do I sometimes miss the bigger opportunity (on POS) to play with new apps. To be honest there hasn't been much interesting to play with on POS over the last year or so, so there isn't that much to miss.

For me, it's been a worthwhile, cost effective, tradeoff between opportunity to play vs stability and reliability. Not to mention the Curve fits in my shirt pocket. I've said no to bricks.
    I think I will be on that bandwagon if the Curve comes to Sprint like it is suppose to during Q12008. I agree about the need for 3rd party support when you really look at why and how you use it being compared to a device with a stable OS. My wife is way overdue out of contract for a new device and she wants the Curve and we aren't willing to jump ship for a phone...saving too much money with Sprint and 3G on CDMA can't be beat for the price along with 4G WiMax coming in the future...CDMA and data are going to be choice combo.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Don't get me wrong, it does all that i need it to do, but then again, i don't require 3rd party apps to organize my life or get me through the day.

Great devices they are
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I moved on to a Verizon Pearl from a 700p and have not looked back. The BB is a good platform for PDA and normal stuff. The Palm has much better applications and variety but the BB just plain works. I miss some of my applications but the BB works just fine for me.

Good luck!
    news flash KStewart, the curve has been with sprint for a month now, hell i sold one last week
    i hate idiots... seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by blue4shizzle View Post
    news flash KStewart, the curve has been with sprint for a month now, hell i sold one last week
    WRONG. You are thinking about the 8130 PEARL. The Curve has not yet been released for CDMA. Glad to see that my theory that all salesmen are morons is correct.
    dang you know what, you are right.. my apologies; i guess i was too much into halo to realize he said curve
    i hate idiots... seriously