Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After seven+ years I'm leaving the Palm OS world. I ordered a VZW XV6800 HTC yesterday and can't wait to start learning the WM OS and experiencing what this smokin' device has to offer. See ya'll around, and thanks for all of your help and advice over the last couple of years.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Of all the people jumping ship these days, I think I'll miss you most of all. You have been a great source of advice re: Zlauncher; I hope you come back and "visit" from time to time.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Rob_T! I'm gonna miss ZL on WM6. Looks like they have a lot of skinnable basic OS enhancers too, I just have to learn as I go. spb pocket plus looks interesting in that regard. LanMan over at 1src asked "Why" I'm crossing over to WM. My reply: Simple . . . devices! Sony's history, Palm ain't doing squat, and HTC is kicking hip! See . . .

VZW HTC XV6800

I do hope to drop in (like unannounced family - yeeks!) from time to time!
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Do have a safe trip to the dark side.

Remember, there is no light on the dark side. It is a black hole, from which nothing returns. Your messages out of the dark side may not make it through to the light.

I only hope you can make it back out before it's to late.

Good luck...you'll be missed.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Good luck to you! It has been a pleasure reading your posts. Maybe we'll see you back in a bit!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Do have a safe trip to the dark side.

Remember, there is no light on the dark side. It is a black hole, from which nothing returns. Your messages out of the dark side may not make it through to the light.

I only hope you can make it back out before it's to late.

Grim Reaper!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've still got my Treo 700p, which is in mint condition. My son is checking with his boss to see if he can switch from Sprint to VZW, 'cause his Sprint phone doesn't work well at his new house. If his boss OKs it, I'll give him the Treo. Otherwise, it may go up on eBay! I also still have a Sony Clie TH55 running Palm OS5, so don't send me my divorce papers just yet!
    As a long time Treo user, you may not like the sliding keyboard, at least that's what others have said. Also, other long time Palm OS users end up hating WM.

I'd say wait until you're sure you like the new phone before getting rid of the Treo.

I have the HTC XV6800 GSM counterpart and love it, but after reading other posts on here, I don't think that's the case with everyone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree. HTC is kicking @$$
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    As a long time Treo user, you may not like the sliding keyboard, at least that's what others have said. Also, other long time Palm OS users end up hating WM.

I'd say wait until you're sure you like the new phone before getting rid of the Treo.

I have the HTC XV6800 GSM counterpart and love it, but after reading other posts on here, I don't think that's the case with everyone.
    Good points!

I don't envision myself being a heavy keyboard user except for text messaging, and the occasional PIM appointment/ToDo entry. I may flip the keyboard open to get landscape mode to read as I do a lot of reading, mostly OliveTree apps and eBooks.

I played with it at the VZW store Sunday for about an hour. Then I went home and thought about it 24 hours and let the experience sink in. I feel pretty good about liking it!
    I was a 10-yr Palm OS user before I went to the 700w (and now the 700wx), and I have to say that I really like WinMo (or, should I say - Palm's iteration of WM) and I cannot see any way I'd ever go back to Palm OS. A lot of that is very subjective, but that's how I see it. I still have my Treo300 and 600 and 650, and I look back at them every now and then with fondness, like I'd look back at an old rocking chair or bicycle (but never plan to actually USE the thing).

But as I said above, I think Palm's version of WinMo is vastly different from others like HTC and Samsung, etc - I'm a Verizon customer and have spent a fair amount of time in their stores, looking at the i760 (yuk, what a bunch of button mismash and just overall ergonomically a beating) and a little bit of time looking at the 6800 (not a fan, personally, of slider devices). So I really like what Palm did with WinMo, and coming from a Treo background in terms of hardware design, the 700wx is just about perfect for me.

But hey - that's just me. To each his own. (my main point being - I'd never go back to Palm OS. At least not until they come out with some new OS platform, if ever. Current palm OS = instant snooze for me)
    Same here!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I went the Mogul (HTC 6800) for awhile. I still have it. I like the Win OS, but I could not handle the sliding keyboard. I make to many calls where I simply type a name and get the number. With my Mogul, I need to launch the contacts first, or slide the keyboard out and begin typing. I know there are other ways, but I just like the simplicity of the Centro. The Centro seems faster to me as well when it comes to opening emails.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Mogul (6800). It does a lot and does it well. It's just for me, I decided to quit trying to do 'everything' with my Treo, now Centro, and get back to basics. What I really needed right now was quick, simple OS and one handed operation. I still run around 30 apps, but I don't have to wait for the 'hypnotic' wheel each time a launch an app and I can reply to an email, or dial a number with one-handed.

Just my opinion of what works for me... Of course tomorrow, I'll probably decided to do an ESN swap and fire up the Mogul again.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I agree sliding key boards are a pain! I love the specs on my Kaiser....... I just wish it was is a treo design.
    Not if you text or email a lot! The bigger keyboard is great for that, BUT I do agree that having to open it takes up time, although it's really only a few seconds.

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Being able to use my Centro one handed has kept me plam loyal. I don't have time to go messing with sliders.

Good luck!

Just because you don't have a treo anymore does not mean you have to stop posting. I see many here who stay because of the community.

I hope that will be you also!
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Im REALLY close to jumping over to the 6800 as well. I messed with one for a while and really liked it. I will miss the keyboard on the Treo, but will love the wifi, memory, bigger screen and WM6.
    Y'all might as well jump now, Palm may be laying off people.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...alm-inc-today/

I've left Verizon and Palm for AT&T and HTC. HTC is kicking some serious ****.
    HTC makes a few good CDMA devices though. And really, sliders are not THAT horrible.

20.    #20  
    Well, I've had my HTC XV6800 a couple of days now . . . starting to settle in with WinMo and trialing a few apps to compliment what came on it. I love this device!!! It definately takes some getting used to. Day one I was thinking "big mistake," because everything was a pain due to lack of skill/experience with WinMo, but yesterday I "turned the corner" and am really, really starting to like everything about this HTC product.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast