1.    #1  
    After a month without the iPhone, it's good to be back. I got used to a lot of things in the 6 months of use with the iPhone that just aren't possible with the other devices. In using the iPhone, I got used to having 7GB of music handy. I got used to carrying around headphones so I could slip into the world of music at a moment's notice. I got used to looking whatever I needed on the real web. I got used to checking voicemails individually whenever I needed. I got used to how I checked email. I got used to threaded SMS. I got used to viewing videos. I got used to not charging my phone religiously every night. I got used to the seamless syncing with iTunes. On my return to the iPhone, I was astounded how quickly I was spoiled with syncing information. It was downright nasty to get all of my information onto a lot of these other devices. After 6 months of using the iPhone, what would have pleased me now frankly shocked me.

That's not to say that the iPhone is perfect. No, there are a bunch of things that I realized I'd miss once I got back to the iPhone. I'd miss to-do lists, I'd miss installing programs, I'd miss the culture of openness that most of the other smartphones possess. I know that I'll have some, if not all, of the features I've been wanting in a few months once 3rd party applications arrive; I'm sure that others will arrive as carrots in the future whether they come from Apple or whether they come from the hacking community.

The future is really why I went for the iPhone in the first place. I wanted to use a device that has a future, not one that has a past. All of the other smartphones, they come with what is best described as baggage. There's a history to how they do things, and when they do something that's probably wrong in terms of how a smartphone ought to work, there's an excuse for it, or some obscure technical reason that was relevant years ago but isn't relevant now. They were designed to work around older technology, and all of that cruft builds up, and that cruft takes battery power. Why else would those thicker devices have worse battery life? In a lot of ways, the other smartphones pioneered the way, but it doesn't seem like they kept up. The iPhone, even with its shortcomings, is a fresher look on what it means to be a smartphone than any of the other devices out there, and I'm pretty sure that it will continue to be that way. Who is going to be able to keep up with what Apple has started?

Read more at http://www.phonedifferent.com/2007/1...ng_live_t.html
    The one thing not mentioned much if at all in the reviews is that the iPhone is exclusive to AT&T--a problem for me because AT&T doesn't serve my area! The other phones have a wider choice of carriers with the Treo being the best in that regard.
    Nice job Mike...I've had a few weeks each with all of these devices (and some windows mobile standard devices as well- Blackjack, MotoQ9) and I've always come back to the iPhone. There is so much there, and so much of it is yet untapped. What other device lets you play games like "Labrynth" (hack required). The Tilt supposedly is the powerhouse... and it does have 3G and GPS...but it's a third slower in processor speed than the iPhone. And the web experience even with Opera and 3G is so much worse than Safari over EDGE. Some people are hesitant to hack the iPhone, and when the SDK is released that will change the game. But hacking it is so worth it RIGHT NOW. Some awesome apps, some really solid games...and totally (I guess mostly) free. This morning I went through the process of hacking my 1.1.2 firmware, which does take some time. But it makes my iPhone worlds better than anything out there. Can't wait until the 16GB 3G iphone with GPS. I have to beieve that is only 6 months away...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Locked iPhone is the biggest drawback, along with no third-party apps. One will change soon, the other... not so soon, I suspect.

Basically, locked iPhone means I won't be seeing it over here for quite some time, if ever. The only GSM provider decided not to get it (Vodafone), and while the CDMA provider (Telecom) is building a GSM network, that won't be ready for a year or so. Same for the new entrant building their own GSM network. They get to roam on Vodafone's for now, but that doesn't include data... Hmmm... iPhone is a lot less cool without data...
    Great article as always Mike! I agree with all your thoughts on the different smartphones. As great as the iPhone already is, I can't wait to see how cool it'll be once we get all those 3rd party apps rolling in!
    i enjoyed the article as well. I know the 3rd party app situation has been talked about. but, i don't think the title is fair. The iPhone is quickly becoming the King. But, it is not their yet.

3rd party apps are huge. I sold mine cause I missed them too much. it hurt my functionality.
    i think by this one delay the iPhone falls short.

Is there nay reason why any of the Symbian Devices E611, SE P1i or N95 8gb didn't make it in to the Round Robin?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Maybe because it's four sites, so one phone representing each site?
    The iPhone is king only if you don't need a business phone first, IMO(notice I said IMO, so no extreme bashing, please ). No 3G data(although I can stomach that for now) and no way to manage calls and texts properly. I can only use my iPhone for personal use so I know the people calling me are people I can deal with, and don't have to block and filter as often.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    After 6 months I have finally decided to get rid of my iPhone. And I used it a lot, jailbroke, did everything I could do on the phone, but decided WM was the way to go.

Slingbox was reason enough for me. One handed use was another. I liked the keyboard and didn't miss 3G, and the design is 10 times better than any other phone I have EVER seen. But 2 hands were necessary most of the time, and Safari was great to the eye, with zero substance. All the sites I couldn't go to with PIE? Funny, because Safari won't load them either!

The iPhone will be great soon, most likely. I'll wait until that happens.
    wow I totally agree, except for the the WM part . Palm OS for me.
    Anyway,iPhone was totally a great smartphone just didn't do enough.

Its a great weekend phone. IMHO not the King just yet.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    My thoughts on this post point out what we've seen time after time on the Round Robin...
    Preference is really the King...

Quote Originally Posted by Phone different Articles View Post
    After a month without the iPhone, it's good to be back. ... In using the iPhone, I got used to having 7GB of music handy.
    I feel like having an sd slot is a better option for expandability and listening. The device that comes out with 80gb or 160gb of storage will get my attention; 8 or 16 is an even trade to the sd.

I got used to carrying around headphones so I could slip into the world of music at a moment's notice.
    This is nice, but again not exclusive to the iPhone...in fact I find slipping into the world of music easier and a better experience without the cord. Stereo Blue Tooth has changed my world!
    Streaming music, live stations like Howard, and even television is a stretch on an Edge device but come as welcome options with an EvDO Treo. Seriously, it makes 16gb of memory quaint by comparison.

I got used to looking whatever I needed on the real web.
    Safari is an advance in browsing on the phone. On-device, I'm still liking the speed of Xiino and use Blazer when I have to. For some reason, I don't find Opera to work too well. None of the above compares to tethering the Treo to a larger screen and exploiting the capability of its' speed more completely. On balance, I just would not want to give this option up for what Safari offers.

I got used to threaded SMS.
    I can appreciate how you may get used to this. Still, it's not exclusive and they are not the first...I find the Treo's threaded messaging and contact integration very intuitive.

I got used to viewing videos.
    definitely better on the iPhone screen, but Kinoma and TCMP even the options. I love searching thru Google video or Youtube...Palm hasnt capitalized on the fact that you can stream these with ease and speed. Elevation Partners, can you hear us asking for better marketing management?

I got used to not charging my phone religiously every night.
    I'll still take the option of replacing a battery just in case I left the radio on by accident on a long flight or that sort of thing. And I will go 2 or 3 nights if I'm not talking on the phone...thank you Seidio.

I got used to the seamless syncing with iTunes.
    Still prefer drag and drop to syncing, but it's all preference as long as the options are there.

On my return to the iPhone, I was astounded how quickly I was spoiled with syncing information.
    I understood from one of the Round Robin articles that the iPhone would not sync notes or tasks, but the work around was to just send yourself an e-mail. Still, it can't be worse than the Palm Desktop Vista fiasco.

[/URL][/QUOTE]
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    This was so good that I just had to mention it on Palm Addict. Here's the permalink:

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2007/12/excellent-iphon.html

Paul Biba
    iPhone Editor, Palm Addict