Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    And so The Smartphone Round Robin ends: I’m back on a Windows Mobile device (a Motorola Q9h, if you’re interested) and I’m happy to be here. Ecstatic, even. There are lots of reasons I love Windows Mobile and why it’s a great fit for me. One of those reasons is pictured above. You can choose pretty much any form-factor to fit your lifestyle and have a powerful Smartphone OS in it. This is no small accomplishment - in fact I think it's probably more amazing that Windows Mobile supports such a wide array of phones than the fact that Windows itself will run on a wide array of PCs.

Comments on this article through Midnight Pacific Time on Sunday, December 9th qualify for the Round Robin Contest. Find out why I'm happy to be back and why Windows Mobile is my drug of choice after the break!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...n_triumph.html
    At&t Tilt is the ultimate smartphone right now
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I really wish I could love Windows Mobile. I really do. I simply can't though. There are way too many quirky things about it, like the way you "close" applications. It just could be implemented so much better. I have been using it since the days of PocketPC, but there hasn't been that much UI improvement. There have been a ton of feature enhancements, which have by and large been good. But, like Palm OS, the UI has been rather stagnant. I am very hopeful that Photon will be that killer OS we all are waiting for, since Palm's is vaporware until it actually hits, as far as I'm concerned. We shall see....
    Oh...oh...I see my phone in the picture!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbmyler
    Except for one MAJOR flaw....it is GSM
    This round robin has definitely been interesting to follow. I still have a Treo 650 partly because I haven't been able to make up my mind on what I would get for a next phone. At work I see people using blackberries all the time, but I never did give them a serious thought until this series of articles came up.
    I've learned that I'm a Maximax kind of person, that I really do want to be able to do everything and connect in any way possible, which makes a device like the Tilt (or the Touch Cruise, which I don't think has launched yet)very attractive. If AT&T's coverage were anywhere close to as good as Verizon and Sprint in my area, this would make my decision easy. I sure am tempted to try the Tilt anyways, though.
    I forgot one thing... for me it seems funny that there are a few complaints about only being able to power up the Tilt via a recessed power button by default. I haven't handled one personally, but given that my Treo wakes up too easily (I've had apps that help with this, but I didn't bother reloading them after trying to determine what crashes my Treo), that prospect sounds good to me. :-)
    This has been a very interesting round robin event. What I especially liked was reading everyone's opinion of the devices outside their normal device. Great job!!
    The main going 'round' in this contest is my head! Trying to follow all the different opinions at the various sites has been fun and quite informative. Although, as you've said, each has its merits, I think I'll be sticking with Windows Mobile. I have a Moto Q now, but if I were to win this contest, I would be very tempted to go with the Tilt.

Thanks to all for a great series!

~Dan
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I find it interesting that people are complaining about it being only GSM. In my area, I consider GSM to be leagues ahead of CDMA. Sure, there's only one provider for each (soon to be two GSM to one CDMA), but SIM cards are awesome, and there are just simply more phones available. We don't get most of the cool phones over here, and when we do they're expensive. In that regard, GSM is just so much better. I can buy a phone overseas and it will just work. If I buy a CDMA phone overseas then I have a brick which will never work with my local CDMA provider. Hmm... Which do I prefer? I also plan to be going overseas every now and then, for extended periods of time, but that's really just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. I don't think there's much difference with data speeds (and the cost is prohibitive anyway), so yeah.

GSM is also better for the international students (*especially* the Asian ones) where their language isn't supported out of the box. While it can be added, it's a right royal pain. So rather than spend lots of money and time (and risk bricking my phone), I just bought a Chinese phone, which isn't sold officially, off Trademe (local eBay). Plugged in SIM card and away I went. There's no way that would have worked with CDMA. I'd have serious issues trying to get Chinese input to work at all on a CDMA phone over here, I reckon.

But that's just how I feel about the CDMA vs GSM thing.

With regards to Windows Mobile, it looks interesting. I would give it a shot had I not invested so heavily in Palm. Maybe later, should my 680 ever die. Blackberry looks cool, and I would buy it barring the fact that the one application I bought a Palm device for will *only* work on WinMob or PalmOS (and even if it did, handwriting recognition needs a touchscreen...). I'd be very surprised if there was anything equivalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Oh...oh...I see my phone in the picture!!!!
    Can you identify *every* phone in the picture?

Except for one MAJOR flaw....it is GSM
    Except for the fact that current 3G tech eats up a bit more battery life than I'd prefer, GSM is the bees knees.
    So...since we are pretty much at the end here....I'm posing the same question to all...if you were FORCED to pick another device to use, what would be the final choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    So...since we are pretty much at the end here....I'm posing the same question to all...if you were FORCED to pick another device to use, what would be the final choice?
    I assume you mean another OS, not device (seeing there is a huge variety of WM devices). It would have to be a Symbian device, like the Nokia E90 or a slightly updated version.

It has everything I want. 3G, GPS, WIFI, a huge high res screen, great keyboard (although I have heard criticisms of it),good browser, a good camera, and an open OS with plenty of 3rd party apps although much less than WM)

http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/review_e90.php
    http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/pro...&culture=en-GB

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/08/2007 at 04:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Oohh. Surur's response it good, but that technically isn't part o' the round robin (until I get to my 'bonus round' in january).

I'd probably go back to PalmOS. Ask me the same question next year and it would probably the the iPhone.
    Excellent article Dieter!! I'm like the 2nd poster above, gjlowe, who really wants to love Windows Mobile. And I'm bound and determined to get the hang of it so I will love it! I'm such a gadget freak that I want all the OS devices. Hey, that pic made me have to pull up my drool bucket! ;-)

I sure have enjoyed reading all the comments and hearing all the forum members likes and dislikes and getting their very valuable help! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Can you identify *every* phone in the picture?
    Do I get to keep one of my choice if I do?

Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    Except for the fact that current 3G tech eats up a bit more battery life than I'd prefer, GSM is the bees knees.
    For me the pros and cons between GSM and CDMA are all thrown out the window because I am pretty locked in with Sprint. So no matter how good a GSM phone (or network) is, it doesn't do me any good unless it supports CDMA AND Sprint decides to take it...since their network is still locked.

So pretty much that was an coveting statement drooling over the Tilt wishing for a Christmas miracle to find a Sprint branded Tilt under my tree come Christmas morning.

..........man I am totally surprised you didn't get all that from my totally non explanatory statement!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmyler View Post
    I totally disagree with that sentiment. The N95-3 is. The Tilt is the best featured smartphone on any carrier deck in the US (for now) though.

Glad to see you back with WM and happy Dieter. But that device is a WM6 Standard device, not a WM6 Pro device right? Do you adjust just fine between the devices types easily?
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I totally disagree with that sentiment. The N95-3 is.
    The N95 does not even have a QWERTY keyboard.

Surur
    great post as always Dieter
    @ipsi... I think you nailed it when you said "In my area". My needs include broad coverage in the somewhat-southern/eastern new england area, and everyone I talk to who has T-Mobile or AT&T and tries to use it away from the metro-Boston area has much more complaints than do Sprint and Verizon customers.
    What this means is that my reasonable selection of phones is limited more than in good GSM areas. I truly wish GSM service was more competitive here.
    Who's flying this thing?
    Hmmm... If I had to pick a new device today, I suppose I'd pick the mogul to replace my Treo 650, though I've been leaning towards a WM phone for months now. Still, that phone is 64MB shy of what I want, and I consider WiFi a must for my next phone (rules out the Touch). If I were willing to pay more for data, I'd consider the XV6800 or the i760. The Tilt has all the features I want except CDMA.
    If I were forced to choose something other than PalmOS or WM? I think I'd follow Surur's Symbian notion if available. If not, I'd have to research VoIP over WiFi possibilities of the other two platforms. Why? I have a dream of better indoor coverage by call forwarding to Skype (or another VoIP provider) at work.
    Who's flying this thing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast