Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I suppose WM calls to the tinkerer who lives and breathes gadgets. They can spend all the time they want customizing the latest super-phone and trying to get it to do ever more things. So much versatility despite its weak interface, security and stability. The power of the collective.

I looked at the Mogul, Sprint's Borg phone, and it was like I could hear the voices of countless geeks. Where does that leave those of us who want a smart phone that just works well for most tasks without a lot of fanfare?
    @surur--

I've been looking at symbian for some time now myself. Because I travel a lot to Japan, its one of the few options in terms of a smartphone other than WinMo that I can use Japanese language applications on and not have to buy a totally new device. And since there's a lot of people using Symbian based handsets over there, local things like QR-code readers, GPS programs and the like are easily found foe the platform. The E90 would work over there on both DoCoMo and Softbank (the two carriers support WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA on 900 and 2100Mhz, but no fallback GSM,EDGE, or GPRS) so I've been giving it some thought.

I'll be over there for about 7 months starting in April 2008, and I was initially looking at several GSM devices that run WinMo like my trusty, dusty 700wx Treo. The Tilt is at the top of the pack right now, because like in the reviews, it is a world phone supporting all bands on GSM and WCDMA, and I know for a fact that it's unlocked TYTN2 variant is working over there, thanks to some good friends of mine on the Keitai Impress forums that have simply stuck Softbank SIMs into the devices. The Tilt is the same phone, just locked to AT&T... So one unanswered question is if I were to purchase it outright and not under contract, would they unlock it for me, or am I better off just getting a generic unlocked TYTN2 through an online dealer?

Also has anyone seen the Touch Cruise yet? Here's a good review here with a video of it in action. It replaces the HTC Artemis, and a good way to think of it is having everything that the TYTN2/Tilt has in it (GPS, WiFi, Quad band), but in a Touch form factor with all the advanced TouchFlo goodness thrown in. I'm thinking this would be the one for me...

Thats the thing I have to echo with Dieter's statements--Windows Mobile is just on so many different devices these days, its hard to decide which one to choose!
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    The last I heard the Touch Cruise wont be out until the end of January.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo View Post
    I suppose WM calls to the tinkerer who lives and breathes gadgets. They can spend all the time they want customizing the latest super-phone and trying to get it to do ever more things. So much versatility despite its weak interface, security and stability. The power of the collective.

I looked at the Mogul, Sprint's Borg phone, and it was like I could hear the voices of countless geeks. Where does that leave those of us who want a smart phone that just works well for most tasks without a lot of fanfare?
    What?!! I have never had an unstable WM phone, nor did I have to spend tons of time "tinkering", unless I really felt like it. The phones work fine without all that tinkering. It's just that some people want their phones the way they want them and not like everyone else's. WM phones are among the best out there!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Damn! Every time I come to a decision that WM isn't for me you do something like this My biggest concern right now is that the 3rd party development for Palm OS is racing for the EXIT sign. I'm not sure I want to cling to it in the hopes that Palm Linux actually delivers - I'm not that confident.

My main beef with WM is the sluggishness, though. Even after tweaking to make sure programs close and a few other things, it's just plain NOT SNAPPY at all. I've used the Tilt and the 750 pretty thoroughly. Are there WM phones (preferably touchscreen) that are quicker? This is my big hang up at this point, and I think the 800w will probably be even slower with all that stuff in there.

I actually WANT to go WM, I just can't find a phone that seems worth it yet.

Thanks, Dieter!!
    Great post.

Since I am thinking of leaving palm OS - I have spent most of my time researching Symbian and now the iphone. I really haven't considered WM. I think it is innate being a palm OS fan. Its like leaving the Yankees for the Redsox.

Maybe I should rethink. After all, the Redsox do seem to be the new number 1 ...
    My main problem with the WM OS is that it is not as fast as a Palm OS. A lot of apps will take that extra second or so to load, even if there isn't anything running in the background. I guess I was spoiled with Palm OS but do understand how WM is so well loved by the PPC community. It is quite nice that there's a lot of tweaks, software and support for Windows Mobile (something that Palm once had). I agree that WM is amazing.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Didn't I read that someone was going to include a Symbian device in the Round Robin, or did that never happen?

WM is still my choice overall. Hopefully the stunning quality of the iPhone hardware will force manufacturers of WM devices to 'up their game'.
    I would love to have the Tilt but does anyone know if T-Mo will offer its own to replace the Wing? There's talk of an MDA for TMo Germany but not sure if it will come stateside.
    I think therefore I am.... confused!!!
    Didn't I read that someone was going to include a Symbian device in the Round Robin, or did that never happen?

WM is still my choice overall. Hopefully the stunning quality of the iPhone hardware will force manufacturers of WM devices to 'up their game'.
    Yeah, it would be nice if a N95-3 (or at least a N95-1 with the recent update) participated in the Round Robin.

As for your 2nd comment, I agree 100% and hope that it covers both hardware and software.
    This round robin has made the gadget freak in me want a WM device even more. However, I then think of all the money I have invested in Palm OS apps.

How is the Q9? That is the device I am really looking at.
    jb
    Blackberry Curve 8310
    "Yeah, it would be nice if a N95-3 (or at least a N95-1 with the recent update) participated in the Round Robin"

I plan to write one (a very thorough one) - just asked the MS folks if there's any need for it. If they say yes, I'll most definitely write one.
    I'm doing a "bonus round" with the N95 next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbonnot03 View Post
    This round robin has made the gadget freak in me want a WM device even more. However, I then think of all the money I have invested in Palm OS apps.

How is the Q9? That is the device I am really looking at.
    At first I thought it was way too wide, but now I really really love it. Q9h. Love it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12