1.    #1  
    Official Round Robin contest thread

Well it's time for me to go back to the Palm Treo 680 after using the iPhone, BlackBerry Curve, and the AT&T Tilt each for a week in the Smartphone Round Robin. I sure did enjoy using those other smartphones, but I'm glad to be back home at last.

"OSX10!"..."8310!"..."8925!"..."680!"..."Hut!, Hut!" Yep, I'm back with the home team again and I'm back in my game. I butted heads with the rival smartphones and learned about some of their cool moves on the playing field. The Tilt was dressed to the T with a big screen, WiFi, GPS, 3G, and a slide out keyboard. But he was a little too heavy and slow at times to gain much yardage. The ole Round Robin referee had to bench him a couple of times when he stalled during midplay in one of my songs, causing a delay of game. But the Tilt's 3G kicked in during the second half and he went 97 yards in record time.

When the iPhone came out on the field with no user replaceable battery, the penalty flags started flying. But since the iPhone does have double the talk time of the other players, those penalties were offset. A hush came over the crowded stadium when that big, gorgeous screen turned on, and cheerleaders jumped for joy when the Safari web browser went into action.

Read more

Start posting and get your entries in! Good luck everyone!
  2. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    So, any software you're planning to add on the Treo as a result of the Round Robin?
  3.    #3  
    I'm going to add Opera Mini and see how that goes for my browser. I already put Spb Mobile Shell on my Treo 750 because I liked it so much on the Tilt. I might get Telenav too.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Great write up
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Love the photoshop of our little Robin!!
  6.    #6  
    Hopefully our graphic artist didn't mind my little doctoring job on his cute little robin!
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    I'm going to add Opera Mini and see how that goes for my browser.
    I've tried Opera Mini on my 680 (to access into a web-based email account that unfortunately gets a lot of spam--with no bulk folder--so I have to have browser access to deal with the spam. Longer-term solution: shift email to other accounts.

There are other sites I'd like to use it for too; speed is more of an issue there, though, so I doubt I'll use it much until there's an HSDPA Palm OS Treo (or phone worth getting running ALP or Android).

I might get Telenav too.
    Good luck. I'm holding out in hopes that there'll be an update for the 680 to support the quasi-GPS capability for Google Maps. Or I might consider a GSM Centro sometime in January or so.
    So...out of all this Jennifer, if you were FORCED to pick another device to use, what would be the final choice to replace your Treo?
    As much as the Treo 680 is pretty good, my main problem is that the OS is so outdated and underpowered. Don't get me wrong. I still love my Treo 650 but it does seem that the grass is greener on the other side and I will be getting a Treo 750 and using both the 650 and 750 together.

My problem is that it's frustrating to see that a perfectly good working Treo 680 is limited by its aging OS that can't support a lot of things, including new technology software, accessories, while the Windows Mobile is moving way ahead. I admit that I'm tempted and will bite. And it's not all that bad either.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
  10.    #10  
    So...out of all this Jennifer, if you were FORCED to pick another device to use, what would be the final choice to replace your Treo?
    Good question! Hmmm, I guess I'd have to go with the Tilt. Even though WM isn't my favorite OS, there is a crap load of 3rd party software to choose from. Plus, the Tilt has lots of bells and whistles.
    I have tried just about every pda phone on the market. I always find myself going back to the treo. I think it's the keyboard and form factor. A bigger screen would be great to sling, but can't beat the TREO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaluver View Post
    "OSX10!"..."8310!"..."8925!"..."680!"..."Hut!, Hut!"...
    Fun wrap-up that even a midwesterner can understand. Bottom line seems to be that the Treo ain't perfect but is the most balanced choice. For now.