1.    #1  
    Hey All,

I just need a straight-up "yes/no" answer on this...

Our company has dedicated email servers and we've been using Treos for years and they all get SnapperMail Enterprise installed in order to support our IMAP service.

One of the exec's has gone out and gotten a BB Pearl and now is yealling and screaming because it does not have any (appearent) support for hosted IMAP.

I do know there is no way in hell we are going to go with the BES... and I've spent the last two days trying to find an answer to if BB actually supports hosted IMAP...

So, does it, or does it not. If it does, could somebody please... show me some instructions on how to make it do that... or, if it requires some 3rd party app, let me know which, or, if it does not support it at all.. thank God (!!) so I can tell him to take the damn thing back and get another Treo and stop *****ing.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'd jump over to blackberryforums.com. They are the treocentral of the blackberry world. Great site!
    All I can answer for is my 8830, and the answer is partly. I have my gmail accounts setup with IMAP enabled, and POP3 disabled, and I an able to get my email on my blackberry.

With that said, changes made on Gmail or through Outlook are NOT sync'd back to my blackberry.

Cheers,

RocketDude
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    RIM has only implemented a partial IMAP client. As Rocket says, it syncs from the server to the blackberry, but if you delete an email on your desktop or server, that change is not reflected in the BB message list.

Also, note that the BB can not read HTML emails, and there is no way to send HTML emails to the browser.

There are no third party IMAP clients.

The only way to get true sync + HTML is with BES.
    Last edited by jg70124; 12/04/2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by abelajohnb View Post
    I do know there is no way in hell we are going to go with the BES... and I've spent the last two days trying to find an answer to if BB actually supports hosted IMAP...
    If you are not interested in BES (which can also be hosted too BTW), the BB is not an ideal corporate email device. It doesn't have proper support for IMAP and the email client isn't wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124 View Post
    RIM has only implemented a partial IMAP client. As Rocket says, it syncs from the server to the blackberry, but if you delete an email on your desktop or server, that change is not reflected in the BB message list.

Also, note that the BB can not read HTML emails, and there is no way to send HTML emails to the browser.

There are no third party IMAP clients.

The only way to get true sync + HTML is with BES.
    Not with Yahoo and BB. If you delete an email on the desktop it will delete it on the BB as well.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    What you are looking for is an email client that supports IMAP with IDLE. There are no email clients that do that for the BB. From everything I have read Yahoo seems to come the closest.

There are two 3rd party apps for reading HTML formatted emails. Don't remember the names right off but a search at www.crackberry.com will find them.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.