Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (Gee, I feel a little "behind the curve," now that people are already talking about having touched the Clie2 Maybe all of these new posts should be lumped under a single thread: new color PDAs [incl. the so-new-it-doesn't-yet-exist-ThinPrism! Hey, I just made up a trademark! And I want cash if HS uses it! Nah, j/k.])
    Anyway, it was only about 30 sec.
    The guy was standing there holding the glass case open until I was done.
    I frantically tried to put the M505 through 30 sec. of its paces.
    I just wanted to go on record (NOT having touched the Clie2 yet...) as saying THE M505 IS GREAT!
    For what it is, and it's thin-ness, etc.
    IT'S CLEARLY ***COLOR*** w/the BL on or off! (I saw it in the BRIGHT Staples 24/7 store on Union Sq. in NYC. Maybe that's "ideal BL-off conditions" to view it in.)
    But if you even TRIED to say: "No it's not color, not w/the BL off!" they'd have to lock you away & throw away the key!
    IT'S CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY COLOR, COLOR, COLOR!
    We are too, too spoiled!
    I think ANY "ordinary consumer" (that COUNTS MOST OF US OUT on these boards, of course -- we've been TRANSFORMED, and are not likely to become un-transformed anytime soon...) would be "Happy as A Pig in ****" w/the M505.
    I think EVERY exec. in the world that NOW owns a Palm V or Vx will DEFINITELY switch to the M505.

DISCLAIMER
    I didn't see any photos on it -- just the color icons an app or 2 (the calc. is what I remem., mostly). Still, I doubt for most consumers "photo-beauty" on the world's thinnest, lightest color PDA is much of a deal-killer.
    And I still haven't gone into the MM/SD slot,
    blinking notification,
    vibrate feature (I didn't get a chance to see if it's "too weak," as many have reported),
    OS 4.0.
    This DEFINITELY scoops the V / Vx series by a huge margin.
    Palm DID do their job this time out.
    I feel it's really, really injust to say otherwise.
    Yes, Palm has made a few missteps, maybe imperfect QC (I FAILED to check if it was a Hungary or USA model I held), and it's "fashionable to bash them" right now. Maybe it's Yankowski, etc.
    But we shouldn't forget who Palm is and what they have meant to us all these years. I'm not saying "buy, out of brand loyalty," but only: "State the truth, out of brand loyalty."
    Unless someone else held models that were "truly ghastly," I just CANNOT understand the many negative perceptions I've read on many boards since the M505's release.

BTW, it FEELS LIKE A CHUNK OF STEEL in your hand -- I was very impressed. Not since I first held an iPaq have I felt a PDA I thought wouldn't break if you dropped it on concrete (on its side, not the glass!). Maybe this makes the vibrate feature feel "weak" -- it might be too solid for anything to vibrate!

True, competition from all sides is killer now, so they can't just be judged against the V / Vx.
    But, still, if you want the lightest, thinnest color device ... I could see a TON of people buying the M505 when they become available in quantity.
    (I leave out the M500, because I doubt at only $50 less many people would opt for it.)
    Anyway, that's my $.04 rant....
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    From what I observed, yeah - you can tell its color but without the backlight on the white has more of a brown monochrome type quality. Most people buy a color PDA to have pure white as the background, which the m505 just does not provide most of the time without the backlight on.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  3.    #3  
    Jeez, I was worried that the bright Staples store might be skewing my view, as I'd thought I'd seen muddied, brown-type bg on the M505's screen [in Web reviews, etc.].
    But, I tell you, I could barely tell the diff. bet. the white with & w/out BL. (Tho the latter was obviously brighter.)
    Last edited by bkbk; 06/05/2001 at 04:59 PM.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    You're description was RIGHT ON!

Another thing people seem to forget, is that it has a R-E-F-L-E-C-T-I-V-E screen on it. The colors on the screen WILL change with your lighting conditions. (sorta cool... green lighting would look fun-key!) on a screen like the M505's. But the Palm is not responsible for your external light source! But the yellowish/reddish effect caused by pinkish flourescents or incandescents is something that you'll find on EVERY reflective screen. (Even the iPaq!) .

Take it out in broad daylight, and you'll be singing praises!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by bblue
    <snip> But the Palm is not responsible for your external light source! <snip>
    Yankowski:
    "Who TOLD you to bring your M505 with you to that rave?"
    My short in store impressions of the M505:

Pro's
    Form factor is nice
    Feels good and solid
    Snappy Performance

Con's
    Hard to remove the the device out of the cradle !
    Screen color is not vivid like other color PDA's
    Limited stuff for the new card slot
    Hehehe!

Is the cradle on the Palm M505 like the one on Handspring? I never touched it (I was too concerned about the screen!) I wish everyone had the Palm III series port. (thank you HandEra! ) But I have to agree. The M505 is an exquisitely crafted handheld by ANY standards. And hey, if you want a Prism-quality screen, go outside! <-- Mr. Winks. Besides, it's what people have been asking for: a color Palm V. (Of course, Palm has added more features!)

I'm sure the CLIE will be an ENORMOUS success with the techno-geek & media fanatic crowd, but JOE CEO will still probably want the only color handheld he can carry in his pocket without being asked if he is happy to see them.

bkbk is right on, people!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    As I have said before 505 = butter to board-roomers
    CLIE = butter to uber-geeks

Originally "borrowed" by bblue
    but JOE CEO will still probably want the only color handheld he can carry in his pocket without being asked if he is happy to see them.
    haha funny guy....
  9.    #9  
    Is the cradle on the Palm M505 like the one on Handspring? I never touched it (I was too concerned about the screen!)
    Same here - I only touched the PDA. Even the glass case didn't have the cradle, as I recall.
  10.    #10  
    Is the cradle on the Palm M505 like the one on Handspring? I never touched it (I was too concerned about the screen!)
    Same here - I only touched the PDA. Even the glass case didn't have the cradle, as I recall.

And, oh yeah -- I didn't even talk about the SPEED!
    IT'S UNBELIEVABLY FAST, IMHO. It felt even faster than the Prism.
    I was at best buy today and had a good while to play with the m505. I think the screen looked great, great, great. I beamed a couple of color apps to it and was amazed (I was also happy to see DateBook+ & HSCityTime worked on it very well too, but the b&w icon looked funny next to the color ones. The sales guy and myself were both druling over PhoneMate. Color is awesome! Maby they have improved the screen a little bit or somthing. It was every bit as clear as the prism which I was able to compare it to side by side. I held down the power button because I thought the backlight must be on, after what I have read about it, and it got brighter!!! Pixels were pretty noticable, but not as severe on the HS brick, I mean Prism. Neither was as good-looking as the ipaq, but who wants a $600 handheld that wont fit in your pocket?!? It was noticably fast as hell, but I cannot comment on sd card speed because the demo unit did not have a card inserted. I expected a little louder alarm. The edge had the loudest alarm of the palm products on display, 505 was somewhere between edge and vdx. The vibe feature was very cool too, but not pager-like in its strength. the form factor was unbelievable. the prism is a brick, I cant believe anyone would choose the prism over the 505 in a store. that was the first time I actually held a prism (it wasnt tied down to anything). when I went for the prism stylus it was so much farther back from the place on my vdx, my finger passed in front of it. Wayyy too fat for me to ever consider. the edge would be a great product if it had color and a thin-form memory port, but it does not. the 505 is a winner in my book. I am saving my money and cant wait to own one :O)
    Originally posted by jeffbeerman2
    . . . (I was also happy to see DateBook+ & HSCityTime worked on it very well too, but the b&w icon looked funny next to the color ones.
    How did you get DateBook+ on the M505? I wanna try to get that on my Clie N710c

BTW:when you see the new Clie in person you'll forget the M505
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I agree 100% with Mike. Once you see the Clie, the m505 looks a fancy calculator. I ran the clie's demo/info app. and was amazed by the sharpness and smoothness of the pictures. I beamed isilo on there and reading text on the Clie was a pleasure. It's like reading text from my notebook computer. Only later did I realise that...hey...No Grid-lines!!!.

A bit of info. to start the rumor-mill going... I was talking to the sales woman in Best Buy, she seemed fairly knowledgable.

Well, she told me that she read from some company memos that Sony is going to release another Clie model by Christmas. According to her, this model will be identical to the current Clie except will have more internal memory. She said that SONY plans to compete directly with the IPAQ in the multi-media arena, and in order to do so, the Clie needs more internal memory for multi-media apps.

This is just pure hear-say, so it might be a crock of--you know what---.
    Fat's
    ...But the Palm is not responsible for your external light source!...
    No, but it's pretty idiotic of them not to build a device that would look good in any light source (esp. considering the prism's shortcoming in this area - and the very reason palm chose to go with a reflective lcd screen). I was playing with it again yesterday, and I have to say I don't agree with you, bkbk. The device was only "obviously color" if you held it at the right angle at the right distance from your face with the backlight on - and this was in bright flourescent lighting. I compared the prism to the m505 as side-by-side as I could get them (they were roped to the desk) and there just isn't any comparison. Spoiled? To want good color? Not any more than wanting high quality mp3 performance on a device the size of a match-box. And if that's just comparing the prism to the m505, I look forward to doing the same with the Clié (which I haven't seen in person, yet).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    . . .A bit of info. to start the rumor-mill going... I was talking to the sales woman in Best Buy, she seemed fairly knowledgable.

Well, she told me that she read from some company memos that Sony is going to release another Clie model by Christmas. According to her, this model will be identical to the current Clie except will have more internal memory. She said that SONY plans to compete directly with the IPAQ in the multi-media arena, and in order to do so, the Clie needs more internal memory for multi-media apps.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a way to upgrade the Clie's internal ram (as was done with the Prism). But just in case I've started saving up again . You just never know whats comin' down the pipe.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by mikedemo

How did you get DateBook+ on the M505? I wanna try to get that on my Clie N710c
    I'm not sure if it is legal, but hell, I paid for those apps when I bought my visor. Download pz, a palm app zip utility. If you zip up any of the apps in rom, then unzip them, they will be in ram without the padlock icon so you may beam them. The zip app is freeware. I learned it from one of the links on the visor central home page but the instructions were for getting the english visor to run in french.
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    A bit of info. to start the rumor-mill going... I was talking to the sales woman in Best Buy, she seemed fairly knowledgable.

Thanks a lot FM, JUST what my fevered brain needed to hear!

*exposing everyone to my flow of conciousness*
    ....ready to get existing CLIE....Fat_Man hears rumor of more memeory...can't wait till xmas....more mem = $600....too damn much for a toy with my ph#s on it...eat crackers at work to build slush fund for next PDA purchase in six months....need new carpet upstairs...need tiny gps module...wife beating me over the head to get off boards and come to bed...
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    If the Clie is to have more memory...

OK we all know that the 33mhz processor can do 16MB's max. I wonder if the DSP mp3 processor chip or the MediaQ graphic controller chip can have their own accessible memory?
    Fat's
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    <snip> and I have to say I don't agree with you, bkbk. The device was only "obviously color" if you held it at the right angle at the right distance from your face with the backlight on - and this was in bright flourescent lighting. <snip>
    I don't remem. if you've noted you've tried a bunch of the M505's -- I saw only the 1 (even up to today). Man, the one I saw was golden.
    No special angles (mine wasn't tethered, tho -- so it was easy for me to get all angles), no muddiness, no shadows, etc. Again, mine was a bright Staples store (tho you note yours was bright, too), and the b.g. was so white it was almost like looking at paper. No glare. I couldn't believe how good it was, esp. after all the negativity.
    I still have to say they did a good job, in all respects (tho I didn't try the vibe or mem. card -- none loaded), to move the Palm V form-factor forward.
    I, too, have not yet seen a Clie (God recently blessed me w/an unbelievable angel, and I spend 101% of my time w/her -- NOT in stores! , so I've been lax lately), but as of this writing, Palm's still the only one w/a thin color model like the M505.
    (And YES, I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of buying one for the angel. She thinks the HSVD / Palm III etc. f.f. is too fat / too heavy. And, eh, the world has to cut 'em slack when they come as lithe as she does.)
    Yep, died & gone to heaven.
    It's cool to still have access to VC here in heaven.
    Originally posted by bkbk

Man, the one I saw was golden.
    No special angles, no muddiness, no shadows, etc. ...the b.g. was so white it was almost like looking at paper. No glare. I couldn't believe how good it was, esp. after all the negativity.
    I agre BKBK, the one I saw a best buy was like that. The screen was beautiful, obviously color, and very bright. It really was just as bright as the prism in the same display.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast