Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I guess i'm not certain that OfficeMax is putting out a good unit, then. I sure as hell wouldn't buy the device they had out for $250, let alone the $450 MSRP, vibrator be damned.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Yeah, the Clie is the cat's ***. Believe me, I want one, but it's too costly for me to justify as a replacement for my visor.

Clie - $500 (maybe a little less in places) plus well over $100 more for a 64mb memory stick for 1 hour music. So now you are talking $600 for a GREAT pda that doubles as a full MP3 player replacement.

m505 - $400 or less for a REALLY GOOD pda.
    With the $200 difference between the two, you certainly can get a good mp3 player or hold out for one to be released for the m505. I am sure there will be one at some point soon.

If you can deal with the m505 screen (I have seen some in stores that do indeed look very bright, but others that are very dim also), and don't have $600 to spend plus don't need the High Res (which is quite stunning I might add), then the 505 is a VERY GOOD pda.

I kind of came to a relization that anything over the $400 mark is too pricey for a PDA in my book. Now, if the clie cost $400, then, waaaay different story!
    Originally posted by patwoods
    If you can deal with the m505 screen (I have seen some in stores that do indeed look very bright, but others that are very dim also),
    That's exactly the point!! The question I have is why is there a difference in screen brightness in the first place!! I'm concern about Palm's quality control, I mean if they can't even have consistency in their screen what else did they slack on? IMHO, $400 is a risk on such poor prodiction execution.
    Fat's
    I guess the point is how much are you willing to pay...

If you talk quality control, seems like there are a lot of prism owners who paid upwards of $450 in the beginning with some of the same type of issues - case cracks, shimmering displays, DOA machines... Now, HS has apparently worked things out but it was not all pretty either... look back at posts and see what I mean, some folks took 2 or 3 returns to get a good machine!

And, I would think there are many fewer clie owners out there for several reasons the main being the availability.. They still aren't out in force yet...

I dunno, I think mostly I am trying to talk myself out of that awesome sony toy though. $500 seems too steep for anything short of a full-blown computer.
    IMHO, the Clie is by far a better value than the m505. It has more features(DSP chip, MediaQ graphic control chip), better resolution, adjustable brightness, etc....
    Fat's
    Never said it wasn't a good value, just I don't know if it warrants $600 to get mp3 ability and higher res.

If I think I can live with the lower res and lack of mp3 support for now, the 505 is a pretty good deal too.

They are both great machines, the clie is definitely nicer, and I would love to have it. But my logical side says to get the m505 or prism as I get by just fine with my VDX and soundsGood module now.

I just don't know if it is worth $100 more to me. If I plan to spend over $500 the iPaq is definitely a possibility too.
    Originally posted by jeffbeerman2

I'm not sure if it is legal, but hell, I paid for those apps when I bought my visor. . .
    Thanks for the info.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Never said it wasn't a good value, just I don't know if it warrants $600 to get mp3 ability and higher res.

If I think I can live with the lower res and lack of mp3 support for now, the 505 is a pretty good deal too.

They are both great machines, the clie is definitely nicer, and I would love to have it. But my logical side says to get the m505 or prism as I get by just fine with my VDX and soundsGood module now.

I just don't know if it is worth $100 more to me. If I plan to spend over $500 the iPaq is definitely a possibility too.
    If you still want to play mp3's then go for the Visor prism. The SoundsGood doesn't affect the form factor. There is an mp3 player for the Palm V series but its pretty much like a Omnisky sled. I am certain the M5 series form factor will be affected as well by an mp3 player add on that connects to the bottom port.

Basically the Clie N710c is the happy medium with some incredible perks. It's is a Palm M505 (Great form factor) and a Prism (excellent color fidelity) in one plus a built in Mp3/Atrac player, excelent headphones and a remote, 320x320 8bit(yet untapped 16bit) screen which will blow away any 16 bit image on a 160x160 M505 (This is the truth!!!). Oh and its still has a slot for a Memstick or a module. I feel its a good deal right now. But for the masses $420-$449 is the right price. Oh and in time the price will drop when the next best thing comes out and then you really see the Clie take off. Its a great combo device.(I'm certain other Palm makers will follow)

Lemme make a comparison based on my personal experience.

I bought a Visor Prism when it came out. Here's what I spent just on the device and two Springboards. Keep in mind that I didn't buy the all at them same time.

Handspring Visor Prism - $449.99
    160x160 pixel 16bit color backlit display, Springboard expansion technology,33mhz dragonball processor, usb hotsyc cradle,AC adapter, Snap-on front cover, Stylus, Palm OS 3.5
    (supports WIN98/2000, Mac8.1 and higher)

Visor Add-ons
    8meg Flash module - $79.99
    SoundsGood AudioPlayer (mp3 player)- $229.99
    Travel Charger - $34.99
    Coby digital (back head bar) folding headphones - $19.99

Grand Total - $814.95 (pre-tax )

I just bought the Clie last friday.

Sony Clie PEG N710c - $499.99
    320x320 pixel 8bit color Frontlit reflective display(soon to support 16bit color), MemoryStick expansion technology,33mhz dragonball processor, usb hotsyc cradle, built in Mp3 Player, headphones, remote control, AC adapter(that can double as a travel charger),Protective Flip Cover, Stylus, Palm OS 3.5 . . . whew , oh and did I say an 8 Megabyte MemoryStick as well.
    (Supports Windows 98/SE/ME/2000, Mac supported via seperate Mac Pac)

Clie add-ons
    64MB MemoryStick - $99.99

Grand Total - $599.98 (pre-tax)

So you tell me whats a better deal. This is exaclty why Handspring made the smart move and dropped the Prism to $399 which is great IMHO.

BTW - Before I got the Clie I bought a M505 ($449) and a 64MB MMC card($69.00). Unimpressed, I returned it in a couple days. Applied the dough to the Clie
    Last edited by mikedemo; 06/13/2001 at 04:02 PM.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by Fat_Man

That's exactly the point!! The question I have is why is there a difference in screen brightness in the first place!! I'm concern about Palm's quality control, I mean if they can't even have consistency in their screen what else did they slack on? IMHO, $400 is a risk on such poor prodiction execution.
    Hold on there FM! They've got using SAP software for supply-chain management now! That should fix EVERYTHING.

That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
    I know I want the clie. But the 505 feels better to me as far as 'feel' goes. Plus it plain looks better as far as I am concerned. I do not like the style of the clie, but everything inside the case is top notch. I think it is a little gaudy looking and a little more flimsy feeling than the 505 (I don't like the spongy screen as I tend to naturally press harder with the stylus).

The 505's screen isn't as bad to me as others have said, I realize it is not as bright and not hi-res, but it is still acceptable.. It would be almost totally perfect if the backlighting was stronger. As it is, I can pretty much accept it. The form factor feels much better to me than the clie and the screen is hard as a rock (I like that)

I think I have dropped the clie out of my 3-way search, and am going to decide whether or not the form factor is really as important as it seems to be to me at this point. If the visor edge was color it would be a slam dunk (even if the screen wasn't as nice, or if it was lo-res or even if it still needed the sled for the SB addons)

There will be millions of non-geek types who will be totally happy with the 505. It is much more professional looking unlike the 'pocket stereo system' of the clie. The screen will also be perfectly acceptable to the Vx crowd who want to move up to color. It will probably sell well based on that criteria.

Hell, I just might drop the cash for the iPaq (since I didn't win one last week
    . . . There will be millions of non-geek types who will be totally happy with the 505. It is much more professional looking unlike the 'pocket stereo system' of the clie. The screen will also be perfectly acceptable to the Vx crowd who want to move up to color. It will probably sell well based on that criteria. . .

Pat,

This is a wonderful time in Palm history. With so many flavors of Palm PDA's, there shouldn't be a person in the world that couldn't find one to make them happy.

In the end its what you like. That is the most important person to please.

Good luck.

-May the Palm be with you-
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    -May the Palm be with you-
    A few days with the CLIE have put you into a very Zen-like mood! I'll be joining you shortly.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  13.    #33  
    Touched ANOTHER M505 today, at CompUSA.
    A lot more time to play w/it (tho I was on lunch -- so only 8,9,10 min.)
    This one did NOT seem as bright as the earlier one I saw -- but the lighting in this store was radically diff. from the other. This was near a huge picturewindow. (So much so that I could hardly tell the diff. betw. bk-lite on and no bk-lite.)
    But the COLOR FIDELITY WAS AMAZING.
    FINALLY someone in the PDA dept. got smart and loaded the SAME MULTIPLE COLOR APPS on virtually ALL the Palm OS devices! (Strangely, it didn't seem done on the PktPCs -- but maybe b/c by now all know 99% of these are color PDAs.)
    FIREVIEWER was on the M505, Prism and Palm IIIc.
    One photo -- C.Zeta-Jones. (A good idea, b/c prob. all the males on Earth by now know EXACTLY what she looks like, for comparison. Heh -- say what you want about M.Douglas being 25 yrs. her sr. -- but it's CLEAR that man has NO prob. w/his EYES!)
    Uh -- oh yeah -- back to the devices....
    THE M505 LOOKED THE BEST!!!
    "Best" here is "most lifelike" -- real skin tone, shading, etc. Both of the others looked a hair more like an animation photo, due to their brightness -- which was NOT as extreme or pronounced as I'd have believed (and believe I've been led to believe by many of the reviews).
    SPEED WAS AMAZING!!!
    ActiveSky was loaded, as well as a martial-arts game, Pac-Man, Vegas and Zap2000.
    IT WAS LOUDER THAN THE OTHER 2!!!
    This really shocked me: louder than the Prism? At like 1/3rd its thickness, or whatever? I was impressed.

Sorry, folks, I still have to go down in history as judging the initial wave of review of the M505 as WAY, WAY, WAY TOO HARSH!!!
    And unjust.
    "Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition From Mediocre Minds." -- Albert Einstein
    Palm must be tweaking them. Because When I got one last month it was horrible. I am sure Palm is monitoring the publics reaction and are trying to adjust them. Its too late for me to go back to M505. I chose the Clie N710c. This baby is beautiful too. I just hope the M505 can stand up against the Clie 610 when it comes out. It'll practically be a M505 with a high resoulotion screen and priced in the M505 range. Though the 710 will be the top of the line with the built in mp3 player. If you really like the M505 go for it.
    -Mikedemo
    Originally posted by mikedemo
    Palm must be tweaking them. [...]
    I'd say either that or there's a pretty wide manufacturing variation. I've seen at least 6 different ones in stores and the brightness and clarity has varied from very good to total crap. I think that would probably account for the disparity in user opinions.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'd say either that or there's a pretty wide manufacturing variation. I've seen at least 6 different ones in stores and the brightness and clarity has varied from very good to total crap. I think that would probably account for the disparity in user opinions.
    Good point - I wonder if there is a way to tell by the serial number on the outside of the box if it is one of the more recently-produced ones?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12