1.    #1  
    Well, my time with the BlackBerry 8310 is over now, so it's time to wrap up my feeling about the little red wonder. Yes - a wonder. I used to think that RIM “just got lucky” with the BlackBerry. They were the first with a real push email solution and managed to “lock in” a whole slew of businesses early on. I thought that this was pretty much the source of the BlackBerry's success: just a whole lot of people who were resistant to change.

Having actually, you know, *used* one for a week and a half has changed my mind about that analysis. While it's true that a lot of people are sticking with BlackBerries because it's what they know, it turns out that just as many are finding that the BlackBerry is *easy* to get to know.

(*Quick Smartphone Round Robin note: The contest to win a smartphone of your choice by commenting on any Round Robin post has been extended - now any post made by December 7th qualifies! Yes, that also means that our “coming home” articles will likely be pushed back a week as well. You try switching phones once a week - it's tough! *)

More after the break!

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/sma...n_blackbe.html
    Official Round Robin Contest Thread!
    Nice job on the article Dieter - especially given the short time to do it. I think you hit all the high points and provided a balanced perspective.

Precisely because these are all "smart"phones, the features and usability varies. While some features are significantly better on some devices vs others, it's still the "which ones are important to me" that drive our individual purchases and fandom. I think your article touched on both aspects in a fair and honest way and provided a good overview for those unfamiliar with Blackberries.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    I agree with most of your assessment. I think Blackberries have a strong hardware platform to run off of, but I've never been a big fan of their software. It really does have the look and feel of a dated OS. Sometimes it actually feels like I'm working in a terminal session. For being an email-centric solution, there's something that's just lacking in the way that email is presented to you. Take a look at the iPhone, which is pretty impressive in the way it properly displays HTML-formatted email. Also take a look at WM6, HTML email is also displayed complete with images and such out of the box. I never really liked their font either, but that's just personal preference.

The competitive advantage that RIM has in email is slowly slipping away (I feel). I'll elaborate more on this in the upcoming article on SEVEN (now that they've released a fully functional, HTML-ready WM6 client). Yes, Blackberry usually seems to have the "just works" part down, however the proprietary plans (often requiring higher prices, unlike the iPhone's) and old feeling of the UI just don't make it worth it for me. BlackberryOS, for me, is kinda like what we all expected PalmOS 6 to be minus a touchscreen: it's more stable, functional, mostly intuitive, yet limited to EDGE on GSM networks and either feels (or in Palm's case really is) old.

[now WM6 is still far from perfect, I have my gripes with it, but it's better suited to those of us here who finally decided to leave the aging PalmOS behind but want to retain similar functionality]
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 11/28/2007 at 11:53 AM.
    I like your 2 "justs" and I completely agree. Blackberrys do "just" work, but you are limited to "just" what comes with the device. That is why I recommend BB to a lot of people, bc they don't want to tweak and spend time customizing something as powerful as a WM phone.
    It just works. Amazing how profound that is. I wonder if all of you in the contest are coming away with that mantra as more or less something you desire moreso than tweaking or certain features (unless that is your thing). While I would not do any RIM product voluntarly, I can admire the "just works" methodology of it.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Having both the 700p and Curve I agree. On one hand, my Curve just plain works but I can't tweak it much. On the other hand, I can tweak my
    700p/play with new apps/etc but have to live with random lags and resets (unrelated to new apps).

Never really interested in WM devices (mostly on principle), but maybe I need to see what I've been missing. Need to find one in a Curve-like form factor. Once you can put it in your shirt pocket, you'll never go back.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Awesome review dieter, I understand what ya mean when you say the OS feels old that I will totally agree with, it doesn't have that "flash" that say WinMob6 has but then again (I personally) don't feel as though it needs it, just too touch on some things mentioned though...first the music player overall the music play out of the box is fine, you make mention of the "shortcut" keys n for next etc...and that you would be more comfortable with a five way, but the menu key in combination with the trackball replace the five way clicker that you would rather have, once the menu is pressed, all your stuff is right there..next..prev..shuffle..show play list..etc..all in probably the same amount of click it would take on any other device..theirs also FlipSide as an excellent music player..along the lines of Apples coverflow (don't laugh, it does an alright job)...next issue...videos..I take this issue rather seriously as I devote alot of time to making videos for BB and making them available to everyone else as well (see Videos4BB)..and what you stated in regards to the MP4 format is correct, the media player suffers when it comes to AVI and MP4 files, not because it can't handle them, just simply because they use archaic "profiles"..their are ALOT of ways to encode MP4 and AVI files, but the BB needs it in a "specific" profile, which most are outdated at this point, say if it used a DivX 5 and above or an XviD profile all would be fine, but it does not...the best and most reliable codec the BB can handle is 3GP, standard for cell phones and mobile devices of course...Camera topic...nothing to say on this front, only better camera to be found is on Sony Ericsson devices ( see Sony Ericsson K790)...last issue i'd like to address goes out too Merlyn_3D
    however the proprietary plans (often requiring higher prices, unlike the iPhone's)
    ...your right..the plans are more expensive to an extent, approx $10 more a month, take that $10 a mnth under consideration and then go look at the purchase cost of an iPhone and then go look at the purchase cost of a BB...see which comes out costing more....that extra $10 a mnth you pay for a BB plan, was paid for approx 1 1/2 times over when you bought the iPhone
    Never really interested in WM devices (mostly on principle), but maybe I need to see what I've been missing. Need to find one in a Curve-like form factor. Once you can put it in your shirt pocket, you'll never go back.
    T-Mobile Dash my friend.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    My biggest complaint with the Blackberry is hands down the Edge network. I enjoyed this review and have opened my eyes to the device I've been stuck with at work.
    It's remarkable that they have innovated quicker than Palm. I can only imagine now what the smart phone world would be like had Palm innovated at the same rate.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    I've been in a similar boat over the years. I loved the original BB "pager-style" devices for their simplicity, but have wanted more of a PDA. I've been back and forth in the Windows Mobile world between the more phone-type vs. the PDA-type devices, and see value in both. I'm at a point of choosing a next device and hadn't looked at BB as an option until now ... only complicates life.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterinwa View Post
    I've been in a similar boat over the years. I loved the original BB "pager-style" devices for their simplicity, but have wanted more of a PDA. I've been back and forth in the Windows Mobile world between the more phone-type vs. the PDA-type devices, and see value in both. I'm at a point of choosing a next device and hadn't looked at BB as an option until now ... only complicates life.
    Take a peek at the Motorla Q9 series - they're wide as the grand canyon but otherwise I'm very impressed with them.