Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a long time Treo user since Treo 300 & have not considered ever leaving the Palm brand. That is until I laid my hands on the Blackberry Pear 2 (Sprint). Sad to say hold a Centro next to one makes the Centro look 10 years old. Treos suck. The Pearl has BT AD2P, GPS, 2MP camera WITH flash. the form factor & user interface seem modern & simple. Sure the calendar PIM apps have ugly fonts but come on. That is very minor considering everything else it has. Also integrated GPS. Ok so Palm has thousands of apps & blackberry has a few BUT how many of those apps are truly needed. There is a lot of crap out there. I have come to the point in my life where I don't need a bunch of games & other crap. I need a phone that is stable, current, has GPS, BT stereo, email, web & a decent camera with flash, mp3 player & that's about it. So you need MS Office support? guess what there IS a third party solution (albeit pricier than docs2go) for that. it also has built in profiles switching. I am sure there are other great features I am leaving out but I cannot see how the Treo is "better" in any way. oh it has touchscreen. so friggin what!! that touchscreen is killing your battery & I have been using computers for so long with a mouse & keyboard & never touching the screen. cellphones don't have touchscreens either. I think those of us who say we "need" touchscreen are spoiled. the keyboard & mouse thing on the pearl is perfect with a small screen. that little track ball is quick. anyway, yes it's another thread to say I will be leaving Treos until they get their act together. but not until I can get a better deal on the data plan. the plans start at $30 a month & I cannot grandfather my $10 a month plan over. well there is a way around that. i'm working on it. anyone else get the pearl & sticking with it? or anyone else considering it?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Treoneo -

I'm thinking about joining you in the BB silly farm...lol. I'm just ready to try something different. It's funny, but I really do not have much of any additional software on my Centro. It's basically used for calendar, tasks, email, surfing, and most importantly a phone. However, the phone capabilities are just poor.

If you find a way around that $30 charge, please let me know. I'm seeing if retentions can give me a discount since I already receive a $10 credit for PV.
  3.    #3  
    I actually got retentions to give me a $15 recurring credit which would put my data charges at $15 per month. I pay $10 right now. I am going to call back & get it down to that.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    how is the phone quality? are you using bes or bis?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    disregard bes or bis. the 30 plan is bis. how is suretype?
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    disregard bes or bis. the 30 plan is bis. how is suretype?
    All I can say after an in-store trial is I could never use a Pearl. I don't think I would have a problem with SureType per se, but that little KB and the way it it layed out sucks for an old guy with failing eyes!
  7.    #7  
    I played with it instore for a bit & got used to the keyboard easily. The keys are tinier on the Centro that's for sure.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    stop it treoneo...your not making it easy for me...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    Treoneo -

It's basically used for calendar, tasks, email, surfing, and most importantly a phone.
    Sounds like a BB is your perfect phone. One week with suretype and it will be a non-issue. I personally have an 8320 but I have experience with the Pearl too.
    There are things that I like that the Pearl can do right out of the box:

1) 3.5 mm headset jack (no more adapters)
    2) Mass storage feature (allows the Pearl to access the external card as though it was a hard drive)
    3) 8GB microSD card support (woohoo)
    4) Stable OS
    5) Blackberry coming out with timely updates

Not like so much:

1) $30 extra for BB service
    2) Weak Mac support
    3) Need better GPS support
    I am with you treoneo. My wife is awaiting the Curve that is supposed to be comming to Sprint Q1.2008. As well as her, the blackberry lineup is very appealing. If and when I jump ship the only alternative I can see is blackberry. I am curious to see what this 800 is all about as well as Palm/Linux before I can totally let go. My wife getting a blackberry will allow me to play which might help me break early.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Well I finally did it...bought a Pearl. Haven't had much time to check it out because of a mess getting the $30 dollar BIS plan. Because of the screw up at the local store and frustrations with customer helping me, retentions got it fixed and thru in a 10 monthly recurring credit for the Blackberry pack.

I can't believe how small the device is coming from a centro.
  13.    #13  
    wow that's great. I am excited for you as I am not getting yet. let me know your thoughts. I am curious how it is browsing the web as the local store didn't have it set up. also let me know how the gps is. on another note, what is this about the curve coming Q1 2008? don't they have that one already (Sprint)? if they have the curve world phone WITH acamera it's all over? is the camera one coming?
    sprint has the 8830 world addition not the curve. they are 2 diffrent devices. I've been thinking about going with a bb as well but like others have pointed out the $30 fee does add up.
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    wow that's great. I am excited for you as I am not getting yet. let me know your thoughts. I am curious how it is browsing the web as the local store didn't have it set up. also let me know how the gps is. on another note, what is this about the curve coming Q1 2008? don't they have that one already (Sprint)? if they have the curve world phone WITH acamera it's all over? is the camera one coming?
    Its not going to be a world phone but I would still be all over it. It is suppose to be comming to Sprint in Febuary or March 08. Sprint customers are contacting them demanding Blackberries and Sprint has listened and they say they will continue to do so.
    at&t iPhone3G
  16.    #16  
    will it include wifi & a camera? If so, I may wait for that phone. Now THAT is a smartphone!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    will it include wifi & a camera? If so, I may wait for that phone. Now THAT is a smartphone!
    I don't no about wifi but it will have a camera just like the 8320 has with its GSM Carriers. I just hope this is all true and if true we don't have to wait too long.
    at&t iPhone3G
  18.    #18  
    dangit why I have to wait so long?? I am so over Treos after playing with a pearl...
    Take the plunge and get the Pearl treoneo to hold you off until the possible release of the Curve and it will give you the time to see if Blackberry is for you, unless this is not a cost effective way to do things in your situation being out of contract or in vs. discounts on your device, but all and all I think Sprint's Pearl is right on.
    at&t iPhone3G
    FYI - Verizon has lowered their BIS data plan to $29.99 for unlimited service. It's $44.99 for BES data. It sounds like everyone here is Sprint, but VZW does have the pearl and 8830. Something to think about.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast