Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    fascinating to see so many die-hard Treo people finally give the Pearl/Curve a try. i remember the day when i was scoffed at for suggesting such a thing. and yes, i'm still using a Pearl but now with Verizon (was with T-Mo) so to enjoy the savings of the family plan that i had in place with them originally.

my only question to myself is "would i still rather have the best in pocketability or the larger screen/footprint of the Curve?"

may try out a curve to see if i can live with the larger size but i'm sure it's going to be tough beating the smallness of the Pearl.

enjoy yours!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    I gave the pearl another try, but I just can't stand the suretype keyboard. I really need a full size qwerty. Plus the phone is just too small, I got too used to my palm treo. I definitely waiting for the curve to come out for verizon. Until then I'll be patient with my treo. I'm going to not use 'ultimatephone' and 'treolauncher' for a whole week. When my phone crashes and it resets, it feels much faster with the factory settings. I think those two programs slow it down a little.

Another question for those that switch to a blackberry. Do you miss your touch screen at all? I was playing with the pearl and I kept on hitting the screen by accident. I think I'll really miss the touch screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    fascinating to see so many die-hard Treo people finally give the Pearl/Curve a try. i remember the day when i was scoffed at for suggesting such a thing. and yes, i'm still using a Pearl but now with Verizon (was with T-Mo) so to enjoy the savings of the family plan that i had in place with them originally.

my only question to myself is "would i still rather have the best in pocketability or the larger screen/footprint of the Curve?"

may try out a curve to see if i can live with the larger size but i'm sure it's going to be tough beating the smallness of the Pearl.

enjoy yours!
    oalvarez, the Curve is pocketable. I think the curve is sleek. I used my wifes Curve for a day being slipped into my pocket. It is sleeker than my Blackjack II IMO. Then again oalvarez, I am comming off from a Treo being a brick, so my interpretation may be skew.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by enilm View Post
    I gave the pearl another try, but I just can't stand the suretype keyboard. I really need a full size qwerty. Plus the phone is just too small, I got too used to my palm treo. I definitely waiting for the curve to come out for verizon. Until then I'll be patient with my treo. I'm going to not use 'ultimatephone' and 'treolauncher' for a whole week. When my phone crashes and it resets, it feels much faster with the factory settings. I think those two programs slow it down a little.

Another question for those that switch to a blackberry. Do you miss your touch screen at all? I was playing with the pearl and I kept on hitting the screen by accident. I think I'll really miss the touch screen.
    I moved from a POS to WM6 standard and haven't missed the touch screen at all. I haven't even found myself mistakenly trying to touch the screen on my Blackjack.
    at&t iPhone3G
    ^thanks KStewart, will give one a try. nothing much to lose, that's for sure.
    Is there a reason that BB makes you use a BB data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by enilm View Post

don't miss it at all. A lot less PB & J finger prints, now I just have my lotioned baby soft skin on the screen.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    I asked that question yesterday to the ***** at Verizon and he said the following.
    "um.... well.....blackberry sends updates to the phone automatically through data, and if you don't have a data plan then your bill would be like $800 to pay for all the data."

yea, OK!!!

Hey you guys switching to the Pearl.

The Pearl's battery has 900mAh
    My 750p's battery has 1600mAh

Good Luck with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitwilly View Post
    I asked that question yesterday to the ***** at Verizon and he said the following.
    "um.... well.....blackberry sends updates to the phone automatically through data, and if you don't have a data plan then your bill would be like $800 to pay for all the data."

yea, OK!!!

Hey you guys switching to the Pearl.

The Pearl's battery has 900mAh
    My 750p's battery has 1600mAh

Good Luck with that.

And yet the pearl gets better battery life ...hmm....

No seriously that is one thing Blackberry has got over any palm device is battery life. The OS is extremely simple more so IMHO then palm and doesn't have the battery life issues. You can push email all day long without issues but try setting your Palm 755p to pull email every 5 mins even. You won't make it to lunch.

Sorry getting off topic this forum is about moving to a pearl.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    ^yep, gotta love the battery life of the Pearl given it's incredibly small form factor.

regards,

pearl first mover
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    You can push email all day long without issues but try setting your Palm 755p to pull email every 5 mins even. You won't make it to lunch.
    Push is much more efficient than pull. Pulling every 5 mins on any device would be brutal, so to make that more fair in comparison you'd have to do push on both devices. Sprint's (Seven) free push email service is not half bad and since it relies on sms-trigger (so pseudo push), it gets very good battery performance.

Having said that in this regard BB still probably gets better battery life, but then again people buy PalmOS and WM devices for more than just phone + email, hence the trade off in performance vs. function.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Having said that in this regard BB still probably gets better battery life, but then again people buy PalmOS and WM devices for more than just phone + email, hence the trade off in performance vs. function.
    That probably used to be true, I can't say for sure yet since my Pearl hasn't arrived, but I don't see much th Treo can do that a Blackberry can't. Actually if you think about it, the BB can do more of what most Treo users are after; A2DP, GPS, Wifi (on some devices). If my new Pearl can do all this and crash only once a week, it's got my Treo beat.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    That probably used to be true, I can't say for sure yet since my Pearl hasn't arrived, but I don't see much th Treo can do that a Blackberry can't. Actually if you think about it, the BB can do more of what most Treo users are after; A2DP, GPS, Wifi (on some devices). If my new Pearl can do all this and crash only once a week, it's got my Treo beat.
    It really depends on your needs e.g. specific software (3rd party), Exchange, touch screen preference, form-factor choice (no kb/large screen, slider kb, front kb), etc. And lets be honest: WM is going through an explosion of brilliant 3rd party software releases (mobile Firefox soon, Netfront 3.5, Skyfire, PointUI, Vito Chat-SMS, etc.)

There is also the byzantine BES/BIS system that is just not consumer oriented, nor priced (though at least the price is coming down).

I'm just saying someone who is considering buying a HTC Tilt, Sprint Touch or Palm Centro is usually not the same person considering a BB device and there are reasons for that, one being that they are just oriented & marketed differently.

If RIM is serious about entering the consumer/pro-sumer market, they need an alternative to their BES/BIS system--yet that seems an odd thing to surrender. With WM, most consumers don't have an Exchange account--but with "hosted Exchange" services (usually free), there is a simple workaround to tap into that propriety sync system. With some Palm devices, you can sync with Exchange or do pseudo push with Gmail, Yahoo, etc out of the box and no extra cost. Even on the enterprise end, Exchange is becoming more and more preferable since it is cheaper and easier to implement and administer.

Right now RIM is adding things like video streaming (albeit weakly), music, a2dp, more 3rd party software, future form factors to actually compete against and catch up with WM and Palm devices who have been doing that stuff for years--not to innovate ahead of them.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/09/2008 at 04:00 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  14.    #94  
    I don't miss the touchscreen at all. Also the batterey life outlasts the treo by miles. I would be close to 0% at the end of the day with treo. With the pearl it is between 60-75%.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    You cannot get the famous BB email service without their specific data plan. I think everything goes through their servers and their servers alone.

A regular data plan and Opera Mini work for regular browsing, but NOT on Verizon from what I understand. It worked on my AT&T BB. On T-Mobile, you can enable web access on a BB through your account, but still no email service if you don't get their specific plan.

Mal, I think RIM could still offer BES/BIS but they need to lower the price and maybe make some updates to it. Anyway, RIM has taken a lot of market share away from the other 2 from what I've seen. I saw Blackberries on the bus today like you wouldn't believe! NO Treos, and I had the only WM device I guess, LOL!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/09/2008 at 09:01 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You cannot get the famous BB email service without their specific data plan. I think everything goes through their servers and their servers alone.

A regular data plan and Opera Mini work for regular browsing, but NOT on Verizon from what I understand. It worked on my AT&T BB. On T-Mobile, you can enable web access on a BB through your account, but still no email service if you don't get their specific plan.

Mal, I think RIM could still offer BES/BIS but they need to lower the price and maybe make some updates to it. Anyway, RIM has taken a lot of market share away from the other 2 from what I've seen. I saw Blackberries on the bus today like you wouldn't believe! NO Treos, and I had the only WM device I guess, LOL!
    You can access web with BB's specific plan vise versa. I pay for BB's plan on my wifes BB Curve and accessing via edge is part of the deal.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Well for us people on Sero why would we want to pay extra for the BB service? Just seems pointless to have to fork over an extra $30-40 bucks a month just for the BB service. I can see how it might make sense for a Verizon person to switch since the BB plan takes the place of a data plan which is cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    You can access web with BB's specific plan vise versa. I pay for BB's plan on my wifes BB Curve and accessing via edge is part of the deal.
    I think the other poster was implying that the BB data plan is higher than other data plans(which I think is true), so I was saying that you can get around the web browsing with a regular data plan and Opera Mini, at least on AT&T. On T-Mobile, they'll enable web under your account if you have a BB. But you will not get their email service so if you really need that, you have to have a BB plan.

I see the other poster is probably on Sprint. Opera Mini will work, but I don't know they'll let you skate with a SERO plan on BB. Plus you couldn't get the email anyway, if you need that.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/10/2008 at 02:38 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Since the Sprint BB plan includes unlimited text, the price really just balanced out for me.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think the other poster was implying that the BB data plan is higher than other data plans(which I think is true), so I was saying that you can get around the web browsing with a regular data plan and Opera Mini, at least on AT&T. On T-Mobile, they'll enable web under your account if you have a BB. But you will not get their email service so if you really need that, you have to have a BB plan.

I see the other poster is probably on Sprint. Opera Mini will work, but I don't know they'll let you skate with a SERO plan on BB. Plus you couldn't get the email anyway, if you need that.
    I understand. As dstudboy1 says...BB specific plan is cheaper than normal data if your with Verizon. Verizon's data is steep. I would rather use a BB plan even if you aren't getting EVDO data speeds.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast