Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    So I finally have a Pearl on the way. I got Sprint to give it to me for $100 and I have some discounts on my account for the data package that should put my unlimited data price at or below $10 a month. I really lucked out. I should get it next week. I really have no quams about leaving Palm. Their devices are wayyy outdated & too unstable. Palm is going down. If they get their act together, I'll try them out again. We'll see. But they have lost my loyalty for a long time. I am excited!
    Once you are up an running I would love to hear your "initial" thoughts as a newly transplanted Treo to Blackberry.
    Is it true that BB still can't handle simple H.264 video encoding?
  3.    #43  
    in plain english what does that mean?
    in plain english what does that mean?
    Videos encoded with the H.264 AVC codec. It's the best-looking codec by far. PalmOS can play it and WM can play it. Has the BB OS been updated to play it yet? Checking the BB forums makes it seem like they still can't.
  5.    #45  
    but that videos are in this format? do we need this?
    but that videos are in this format? do we need this?
    I agree....I have had several Treo's and actually loved my 750 thru AT&T. However, my 8820 is ROCK SOLID!! I had to reboot my 750 about twice a week and I seemed to always be tweaking it. It cracks me up when I hear people talking about a smartphone like it needs to be one step down from a Cray super computer. Actually, if there was a data plan like the BB's have that permitted unlimited international data I would probably still be using my 750. I travel internationally so the BB is the only way to go. I use the Treo for GPS now and that is about it. Tom Tom 6 works great on it.

My company issued 8820 has GPS as well but I like the interface on the Treo better from a GPS perspective
    So no one knows the answer to the question?
  8.    #48  
    Igot one! ILOVE it. It is better than any treo I have ever used in every way.I cannot believe I am saying this! Feels like a phone for 2007 and not 2002. Trackball is easier and better than touch screen IMO. Any questions for me?
    Igot one! ILOVE it. It is better than any treo I have ever used in every way.I cannot believe I am saying this! Feels like a phone for 2007 and not 2002. Trackball is easier and better than touch screen IMO. Any questions for me?
    1) How does the browser look in comparison to Blazer?

2) Are you able to have a database to store passwords (out of the box, or did you install a third party software)?

3) Have you installed any third party software, and if so, what?

4) Are you using any mapping software (google maps)? If so how does it compare to the look/feel of the Treo?

5) How is the calendar display?

6) Do you have any games? If so, how do you like them?

7) Are tasks syncing OTA (over the air)?

8) Have you tried to watch videos? How did they look?

9) How is the music player?

10) Can you IM?

That's it for now...unless you think of something to add that might be helpful comparing the BB to the Treo.
  10.    #50  
    browser looks awesome. smaller window than treo but little bigger than centro. people always complain about the fonts on a BB but I set it to a specific font & it looks better than treo IMO. again the trackball is really great. i prefer it over the treo/ touchscreen. like a mouse on a computer a little finger can be pointed anywhere on the screen. there al also keyboard shortcuts to go to beginning/ end of page, page down/ up, etc.

2) Are you able to have a database to store passwords (out of the box, or did you install a third party software)?
    it comes with a password manager

instant messenger, google maps

4) Are you using any mapping software (google maps)? If so how does it compare to the look/feel of the Treo? it is way better because of integrated GPS on the BB. also can add favorites. some other minor tweaks that make it more functional on the BB

calendar display is different but I like it. again one may think it would be difficult to go to different days & even set a new appointment BUT that scroll ball is so easy to use & I find I like it better than touchscreen - maybe I am weird!

no games, no interest yet.

tasks only sync with BES service which is more per month. their is an app to sync it with my fusemail account though but haven't set it up yet

have not watched videos.

have not listened to music but ringtones through it sound loud & clear! the player itself looks way more polished than pockettunes.

10) Can you IM?
    it comes with BB mesenger I think there is a free aim app out there but I downloaded beejive messenger. it is great! it is on par with verichat but maybe even better. there are others as well that I haven't tried.

overall BB is better than treo in every way. it includeds stereo BT, integrated GPS, PROFILES app included, it is stable, the UI is very modern & pleasant. so there are not as many apps for the BB but the list is growing. and there are so many apps for the treo that improve functionality that the BB already has. it is the perfect size/ weight. i am in love!!
    browser looks awesome. smaller window than treo but little bigger than centro. people always complain about the fonts on a BB but I set it to a specific font & it looks better than treo IMO. again the trackball is really great. i prefer it over the treo/ touchscreen. like a mouse on a computer a little finger can be pointed anywhere on the screen. there al also keyboard shortcuts to go to beginning/ end of page, page down/ up, etc.

it comes with a password manager

instant messenger, google maps

4) Are you using any mapping software (google maps)? If so how does it compare to the look/feel of the Treo? it is way better because of integrated GPS on the BB. also can add favorites. some other minor tweaks that make it more functional on the BB

calendar display is different but I like it. again one may think it would be difficult to go to different days & even set a new appointment BUT that scroll ball is so easy to use & I find I like it better than touchscreen - maybe I am weird!

no games, no interest yet.

tasks only sync with BES service which is more per month. their is an app to sync it with my fusemail account though but haven't set it up yet

have not watched videos.

have not listened to music but ringtones through it sound loud & clear! the player itself looks way more polished than pockettunes.

10) Can you IM?
    it comes with BB mesenger I think there is a free aim app out there but I downloaded beejive messenger. it is great! it is on par with verichat but maybe even better. there are others as well that I haven't tried.

overall BB is better than treo in every way. it includeds stereo BT, integrated GPS, PROFILES app included, it is stable, the UI is very modern & pleasant. so there are not as many apps for the BB but the list is growing. and there are so many apps for the treo that improve functionality that the BB already has. it is the perfect size/ weight. i am in love!!
    treoneo...whats the battery life like?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Thank you so much for the response! I am also curious about battery life.

Is the password manager encrypted/password protected?

Do you find the icons to be confusing? Is there an option to have words added to the icons?

Can you make "tabs" so you can categorize your programs (work, multimedia, GPS, etc.) Similar to ZLauncher ability.

I was looking at a coworker's Pearl yesterday and I love the feel/look of the device (and from a shape perspective it's not all that far off from the Centro), but we were having a heck of a time figuring stuff out. She hasn't RTFM yet (and obviously neither have I), but she had downloaded a shopping list program from Handango and it was giving her an error message that neither of us could figure out. I gave up pretty quickly as I didn't want to do anything to mess her device up.

How is reception? I assume you stayed with the same carrier. Do you think it's the same, better or worse than the Treo?
    the battery life on these devices is superb and outperform ANY treo i ever had.

hope that helps.

happy holidays
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Still no word on H.264?
  15.    #55  
    yeah battery life is great. it is always connected to data. not need to sign on & off. when the phone is on, the data is on. i think that is a special feature with bb. i do browsing all day, get emails, have instant messenger constantly connected & talk a little & have 75% left at end of day from morning. my treo would never last that long. not sure about the password manager but you can download splash-password or something like that. icons are not confusing at all. they are smaller but you have an icon & name. can't change the name. you can hide the icons set up different folders to organize them. it looks really beautiful. the resolution looks so polished. reception is fine although I notice in some areas I cannot connect to internet if signal is low. reception is same as treo I'd say.

a few things that annoy me though;
    no THREADED sms!!!! WTF??? you have to view all sms messages individually like in email. really poor deasign IMO. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $3rd$ $party$ $app$ $for$ $this$ $either$. $and$ $the$ $email$ $is$ $poor$ $IMO$. $funny$ $that$ $these$ $things$ $are$ $known$ $for$ $email$ $but$ $it$ $is$ $their$ $enterprise$ $email$ ($which$ $costs$ $more$) $which$ $is$ $better$ $I$'$m$ $sure$. $I$ $have$ $what$'$s$ $called$ $BIS$ &$amp$; $I$ $can$ $sync$ $up$ $to$ $10$ $accounts$ $but$ $you$ $can$ $only$ $sync$ $inbox$ - $no$ $subfolders$. $also$ $when$ $you$ $set$ $up$ $your$ $email$, $it$ $will$ $only$ $download$ $new$ $emails$ $that$ $come$ $in$ $after$ $you$ $set$ $it$ $up$. $older$ $emails$ $will$ $not$ $come$ $through$. $this$ $is$ $very$ $weak$. $i$ $did$ $a$ $LONG$ $workaround$ $to$ $get$ $all$ $my$ $emails$ $in$ $my$ $inbox$. $maybe$ $I$ $will$ $try$ $BES$ $one$ $day$. $oh$ &$amp$; $you$ $cannot$ $play$ $youtube$ $videos$ $on$ $the$ $media$ $player$ $it$ $comes$ $with$. $I$'$m$ $sure$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $3rd$ $party$ $one$ $but$ $haven$'$t$ $checked$ $yet$. $also$ $need$ $a$ $3rd$ $party$ $progy$ $for$ $straming$ $radio$. $overall$ $I$ $still$ $love$ $it$. $the$ $good$ $outweighs$ $the$ $bad$ $by$ $far$. $i$ $cannot$ $even$ $look$ $at$ $a$ $treo$ $now$ $without$ $barfing$!
    yeah battery life is great. it is always connected to data. not need to sign on & off. when the phone is on, the data is on. i think that is a special feature with bb. i do browsing all day, get emails, have instant messenger constantly connected & talk a little & have 75% left at end of day from morning. my treo would never last that long. not sure about the password manager but you can download splash-password or something like that. icons are not confusing at all. they are smaller but you have an icon & name. can't change the name. you can hide the icons set up different folders to organize them. it looks really beautiful. the resolution looks so polished. reception is fine although I notice in some areas I cannot connect to internet if signal is low. reception is same as treo I'd say.

no THREADED sms!!!! WTF??? you have to view all sms messages individually like in email. really poor deasign IMO. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $no$ $3rd$ $party$ $app$ $for$ $this$ $either$. $and$ $the$ $email$ $is$ $poor$ $IMO$. $funny$ $that$ $these$ $things$ $are$ $known$ $for$ $email$ $but$ $it$ $is$ $their$ $enterprise$ $email$ ($which$ $costs$ $more$) $which$ $is$ $better$ $I$'$m$ $sure$. $I$ $have$ $what$'$s$ $called$ $BIS$ &$amp$; $I$ $can$ $sync$ $up$ $to$ $10$ $accounts$ $but$ $you$ $can$ $only$ $sync$ $inbox$ - $no$ $subfolders$. $also$ $when$ $you$ $set$ $up$ $your$ $email$, $it$ $will$ $only$ $download$ $new$ $emails$ $that$ $come$ $in$ $after$ $you$ $set$ $it$ $up$. $older$ $emails$ $will$ $not$ $come$ $through$. $this$ $is$ $very$ $weak$. $i$ $did$ $a$ $LONG$ $workaround$ $to$ $get$ $all$ $my$ $emails$ $in$ $my$ $inbox$. $maybe$ $I$ $will$ $try$ $BES$ $one$ $day$. $oh$ &$amp$; $you$ $cannot$ $play$ $youtube$ $videos$ $on$ $the$ $media$ $player$ $it$ $comes$ $with$. $I$'$m$ $sure$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $3rd$ $party$ $one$ $but$ $haven$'$t$ $checked$ $yet$. $also$ $need$ $a$ $3rd$ $party$ $progy$ $for$ $straming$ $radio$. $overall$ $I$ $still$ $love$ $it$. $the$ $good$ $outweighs$ $the$ $bad$ $by$ $far$. $i$ $cannot$ $even$ $look$ $at$ $a$ $treo$ $now$ $without$ $barfing$!
    You are going to have to change your name from treoneo to blackberryjery.
    at&t iPhone3G
  17.    #57  
    Damm that's a good one! I was trying to think of a good moniker when registering for BB forums...

You can view utube using the browser and going to the mobile version of Utube. I can't remember the address of hand. From what i gather with the BIS you set up your internet accounts using your computer and then you will receive your email in to your inbox correct. All accounts come into your inbox and then there are some seprate a boxes if you want to see how you want to see where it came from. Is this correct?

I had a treo 755p and couldn't get it to keep syncing with ATT servers. 50 % of the time it wouldn't sync my mail who do you have your email set up threw?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    So how is the new device? Still working out? Any more pluses or minuses?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
  20.    #60  
    No threaded text messaging and no streaming radio! Other than that it is great! So stable! No regrets
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast