Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerjake View Post
    FYI - Verizon has lowered their BIS data plan to $29.99 for unlimited service. It's $44.99 for BES data. It sounds like everyone here is Sprint, but VZW does have the pearl and 8830. Something to think about.
    Sprint has the Pearl and 8830 to.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I've been a lurker for a while and have transitioned with Palm via Sony Clie, Tungsten C, Treo 650, and most recently 700p (vwz replacement to 650 under warranty) and have just today jumped ship for a Pearl. I will miss the functionality of the Treo however, my 700p would randomly lock up or reset at the most inopportune times. In time, I feel certain that the BlackBerry platform will grow drawing in software developers, applications, and lower data package pricing as the consumer base grows.

Palm has their work cut out for themselves facing WinMo and BB however, they have the legacy to reinvent for the future. Time will tell though. All the same, the Treo is a good device and serves its purpose well. It's just time for a change and modernization to keep pace with the rest of the playing field.

Just my .02

E
    i have a unlimted data plan will i have to get a diff. plan for black berry?
    <a href="http://www.tmicell.com/?aid=22671">Deep Discounts and Great Selection on Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint/Nextel</a>

CENTRO FREE w/new contract!! Free Shipping

<a href="http://www.tmiwireless.com/affiliate/?aid=22671">Join the tmiWireless.com cell phone affiliate program and earn excellent commissions on 2 tiers. You get a free personalized website, 24/7 statistics and reporting, and residual income on some products.</a>

http://www.famouswireless.net
  4.    #24  
    I am on Sprint & I know once you get a BB you have to get a special BB data plan which start at $30 a month. So whatever Vision plan you have now, you'll have to ditch it. Sprint will MAKE you... unless you can swing a deal which is what I will try to do.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Being on Verizon, I actually cut my rate for unlimited data by going to the BB from $44.99 to $29.99 so it was a good economic move for me. YMMV.
    I am doing 70% of my pda usage as taking notes,calendar,to-do list (PIM), sms and email

Palm is the best pda to take notes and calendar

Chatter is similar to blackberry push email
    even "better" after google introduce IMAP-idle

SMS is threaded beautifully
    I have been a long time chatter user, and heavy treo user. Had a 650, it was a tank, did everything I wanted it to once I put together the right rom.

650 commmitted suicide against my tile floor, so I got a 680. 4 units later, I have a brand new 680, with 2 extended batterys, seido door, BSE, retractable sync and charge, seidio earbuds, and it is an expensive piece of crap... Crashes randomly with nothing on it.

My new roomate works for tmob. when he heard I was looking for a solution he let me know that they had a switch customer who gave them a cing 8100. I gave him 50 bucks and decided to give it a try. switched data plan to bb, and I will NEVER switch back. I am 4 days into it and have had 0 crashes. The email is as good as chatter. bes is great with exchange (never got calendar sync working on the treo). and it leaves my data alone. I mean I am not duplicating every contact and appointment with each sync.

I am a convert, and will probably get the pearl2 when it comes to cingular, or a curve. this was a great experiment and I am glad I had the opportunity.
    This thread is so timely for me! My company is really starting to come down on their "security" and they are threatening to stop supporting Treos. I'm scared to death. I'm a recent convert to Treo and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Being able to do everything I need from getting to meetings, having contacts at my finger tips, making a quick call when on the road, surfing the net for some quick information, getting sports updates (for DH)...I really love my Centro. But an e-mail went out last week saying they were going to shut down Palm. They are saying they will uninstall hotsync. I have managed to get my Centro syncing with Exchange, but this only syncs Calendar and Contacts. I use tasks heavily so this would really handicap me.

So now I'm considering whether I should bite the bullet and just purchase a Blackberry. I have some concerns. There are things I do with my Treo that I need to be able to do with a Blackberry. I use my Centro for personal and professional and it is critical to have both or it's no longer useful to me.

For those of you that have made the switch, things that are important to me that I wonder if I can still do:
    Get weather updates (automatically)
    Write notes in my own handwriting (jot down a quick note)
    USB device (I'm pretty sure this will work out of the box)
    Support for Excel, Word and PowerPoint creation and editing (earlier in this thread I saw that there are some third party solutions to that)
    On Demand (I know this would go away on a Pearl, but are there websites I could access that would have the same information...I use it mostly for news and sports updates for DH)
    Database (I use SmartList and have my recipes in there, as well as my DVD library)
    Splash ID Available now
    Splash Money Confirmation that they are working on it and expect to release in about 6 months
    Splash Shopper Available now
    Some type of 411 lookup
    Games ARE important to me. The ones I enjoy are Cake Mania, Bejeweled 2, Broken Sword, Fish Tycoon and Insaniquariuam I did find a lot of games I didn't think would exist for Blackberry, and while they aren't what I have now, I think I could find thing to entertain me...so this would be a wash I guess.
    Audible support? They responded that I could use audible via Audible Air...sounded quite complicated and also sounded like it was a streaming only option. So I guess no player for now, but I could stream.
    MP3 Player
    ebook reader They responded with "We have no plans at this time"

If anyone has information on these applications and whether I can keep them or duplicate them, I would really appreciate it. Also, one last concern...will the Blackberry have enough memory for me to install software for these things. I know with the Centro I am using ZLauncher and I store many of the programs on the SD Card to keep internal memory from running out.

I'll also come back and update this posting if I learn anything about any of these programs. So far I've not been able to find converts from Treo to Blackberry that have been willing to provide information. I posted this question at HoFo and have gotten no response, despite the fact that the Pearl thread has at least 4 different users actively posting that say they moved from Treo to Pearl.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by French; 12/07/2007 at 07:41 AM.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    French,

In truth, it is somewhat of a mixed bag. I currently have a BB Curve for work, the Treo 700p I'm gifting to my daughter, and a regular cell for calls and such. Am I happy with the BB? Yes, very much so, the form factor, battery, and stability are all great. Do I miss my 700p? Yes, it is literally the Swiss Army knife of smart phones. To answer your question . . .

Yes - Get weather updates (automatically)

No touch screen with BB - Write notes in my own handwriting (jot down a quick note)

Yes - USB device (I'm pretty sure this will work out of the box)

Yes and No - Yes you can read attachments however, until Docs2Go makes it to BB you are hosed if you need to create or edit. - Support for Excel, Word and PowerPoint creation and editing (earlier in this thread I saw that there are some third party solutions to that)

It depends - What exactly do you mean by "On Demand?" If it's web based you should be able to access it on a BB. - On Demand (I know this would go away on a Pearl, but are there websites I could access that would have the same information...I use it mostly for news and sports updates for DH)

Yes - MP3 Player; Pearl (81xx), Curve (83xx), or 88xx series

Software . . . take a look at software.crackberry.com to see if there is something that meets your need.

SmartList
    Splash ID
    Splash Money
    Splash Shopper
    Some type of 411 lookup
    Games ARE important to me. The ones I enjoy are Cake Mania, Bejeweled 2, Broken Sword, Fish Tycoon and Insaniquariuam
    Audible support?
    ebook reader

All told, BB is a growing platform and the software roll out is similar to Palm's 10 years ago where more functionality is being added to the devices. Hardware wise, BB wins hands down; the maturity of the software is the BB downfall . . . for now.

As carriers continue to lower data rates and add consumer friendly functions (mp3 player, camera, videos) functions, the more sales you will see. Time will tell. Palm isn't "dead" but the it is definately in intensive care.

Regards,

-E
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I'm going to hang in there and keep my fingers crossed. I'm trying to figure out a workaround to tasks. I'll probably just end up having to throw everything on my calendar. The next issue is whether I can continue to fly under the radar. My work does not support me getting e-mail, calendar and contacts on my device, but I managed to get it going. If they don't catch that I guess I can live with no tasks. Maybe by the time they catch me BB will have a much more robust list of programs available.
  11.    #31  
    I actuall use my calendar on my treo for tasks. I just use the "not time" feature when I make an appointment. I use a number 1-5 for priority & it automatically gets ordered. all those apps you want are available for the most part as apps or web pages. as far as full documents edit & view rhere is a very robust program although a bit pricey at $100. BUT when I way the good & bad, I will pay a little more for full docs support to have all of the other better features. and as the above poster said, the developers are really starting to make a lot of apps for the bb. so I think the development community for bb is really growing. I mean these bb's have everyrhing that smartphones should have! 3.5 headphone jack, bluetooth stereo, modern form factor & UI, STABILITY!! decent camera (2.0 mp) WITH flash, push email, profiles out of the box, and more. this is a no brainer. and some models are world phones & some with wifi!!! palm get your azz in gear!!
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I'm going to hang in there and keep my fingers crossed. I'm trying to figure out a workaround to tasks. I'll probably just end up having to throw everything on my calendar. The next issue is whether I can continue to fly under the radar. My work does not support me getting e-mail, calendar and contacts on my device, but I managed to get it going. If they don't catch that I guess I can live with no tasks. Maybe by the time they catch me BB will have a much more robust list of programs available.
    You mike want to take a look at Datebook 6 which allows you to create floating events which work like tasks. http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk6.htm Also Rollover will allow you to create a whole category in calender that floats. http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/rollover-more.php Personally I use DB6 because it has tons of other features as well. Your Exchange Active Sync will still work with either.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Thanks for the information. I'm learning that even if I'm forced to a Blackberry it's very possible my IT department has it so locked down I can't even install third party apps. I don't know yet...trying to get in touch with someone who can give me answers on the IT policies in place. But the other thing I've come to realize is that texting and personal e-mail would go through our servers and that's just not acceptable. I have to be able to keep those separate.

This is really crazy. I just want a device that I can keep my ENTIRE life on, yet keep them separate. I can do it with my Centro. Why can't I do it with a Blackberry??

The e-mail/texting in particular is upsetting. Work stuff already goes through our servers, so why does my personal stuff have to route through them? Why can't I have personal BIS account that does work separately from BES so they don't converge.

Argh.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    I actuall use my calendar on my treo for tasks. I just use the "not time" feature when I make an appointment. I use a number 1-5 for priority & it automatically gets ordered. all those apps you want are available for the most part as apps or web pages. as far as full documents edit & view rhere is a very robust program although a bit pricey at $100. BUT when I way the good & bad, I will pay a little more for full docs support to have all of the other better features. and as the above poster said, the developers are really starting to make a lot of apps for the bb. so I think the development community for bb is really growing. I mean these bb's have everyrhing that smartphones should have! 3.5 headphone jack, bluetooth stereo, modern form factor & UI, STABILITY!! decent camera (2.0 mp) WITH flash, push email, profiles out of the box, and more. this is a no brainer. and some models are world phones & some with wifi!!! palm get your azz in gear!!
    I've experimented with "no time" appointments, but the alarms become a bit of an issue. You can't have it alarm you with negative minutes or hours, so the default is the alarm goes off at midnight of that day. But I have been slowly trying to convert from tasks to appointments, setting them up but having the time show as available so I still get the reminder when I want it, but others can send me appointments. The only issue with this is sometimes, at a glance, it looks like I'm going to have a really, really bad day. When in fact I might only have 1 real meeting.
    I'm in a similar situation. I can't pick up my work email on my treo but it does support BBerry. I could leave my laptop at work and running to get email through Xpress Mail but leaving my computer at work and running isn't going to happen.

I've tried to automatically forward my email at work to my home email but apparently the computer has to be up and running for that to happen as well.

My hesistation at going to a BBerry is 1) the additional cost for the data plan 2) loosing MS Office 3) Pocket Explorer (I've heard that BBerry's browser isn't that great).

You would figure that in this day and age, remote access to your email would be the easiest thing to accomplish....
    Just left T-Mo (Pearl) for the new Pearl offered by Verizon as i have a family plan there. To my surprise the actual hardware is a bit different; the screen seems to be of higher resolution and my work emails appear to be in frames/better organized. On the radio side, VZ offers EDGE which is a nice feature (although i hardly use the net on the Pearl) but it does cause the battery life to diminish some. Having a video camera is a nice feature too.

Happy i made the switch back to VZ.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    VZ does not offer EDGE which is a GSM technology. The have EVDO.

IHMO the best BB is the Curve. FF is close to perfect for a Smartphone with a proper qwerty keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    VZ does not offer EDGE which is a GSM technology. The have EVDO.

IHMO the best BB is the Curve. FF is close to perfect for a Smartphone with a proper qwerty keyboard.
    correct....simply had the two interchanged.

EVDO does seem to be eating away at my battery life as compared to my old EDGE Pearl unit with T-Mo.

believe it or not battery life means more to mean than data (internet) speeds, especially on the small screened Pearl. of course on my iPhone i'd prefer EVDO but it still performs/pages rather well given its processor speed.
  19.    #39  
    So I finally have a Pearl on the way. I got Sprint to give it to me for $100 and I have some discounts on my account for the data package that should put my unlimited data price at or below $10 a month. I really lucked out. I should get it next week. I really have no quams about leaving Palm. Their devices are wayyy outdated & too unstable. Palm is going down. If they get their act together, I'll try them out again. We'll see. But they have lost my loyalty for a long time. I am excited!
    trust me, you'll love the easiness of the device, and most importantly, its pocketability.

say no to bricks
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast